ANYONE DONE A VINYL WRAP?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
I have just acquired a 1971 Mach 1 and setting out on a restomod to make this vehicle something different and special.
This forum is my choice as 71-73 models are not popular in Australia and information is difficult to find.
My VIN: 1F05M218422
It will be along the lines of one in Japan.
(http://www.speedhunters.com/author/2281434115/)
I am currently in the preparation stages of a bare metal paint job and I was considering

a Gun Metal Matt paint finish.

Talking with experts here in Australia  I received a lot of negative feedback - Corners go

shiny with a car cover, bird crap unless removed quickly can leave stains, obviously any

panel damage = complete repaint - side or total.

A vinyl wrap can achieve the same result and is considerably cheaper, lasts about 5 years

but if garaged and covered and driven occasionally - 10 years.

Has anyone done this to their pride and joy?

As with anything, there will no doubt will be some issues  and I would appreciate any advice

if you have been through the process.

Cheers,

Melfunctions

I've had the recessed area of the standard hood wrapped in semi gloss black a few years ago and it holds up beautifully.

But vinyl wrap will also show any imperfections beneath it so you need a really good paint job first especially as you can't sand out the imperfections.

I've had the recessed area of the standard hood wrapped in semi gloss black a few years ago and it holds up beautifully.

But vinyl wrap will also show any imperfections beneath it so you need a really good paint job first especially as you can't sand out the imperfections.
Thanks Mike,

It will be prepped for a premium paint job already, I need to find out if it the vinyl will apply OK

to the prepped area.

In looking at the project, it would probably suit a future owner to have the option of'

a colour change - I am not a spring chicken and I will never sell my E46 M3 so my plan

is to complete the project and have fun driving the beast.

Appreciate your comments,

Mel

I would make sure that a vinyl wrap will give a prepped car enough protection. What I mean is: if it's only prepped there is no finished paint job under the wrap.

I'd think that a prep job is not up to the task of withstanding the elements which I think is the job of the paint that goes over so that all the layers build up to a sealed surface.

Just my opinion which is based on nothing but my idea how paint jobs probably work. :)

If this is the case then it bears the question: Can a wrap reproduce the seal the prep stage needs?

I'd like to know that too by the way. :)

While I was living in China you saw lots of cars with wraps. They were usually high end new cars, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc. One guy would change his every few months. He liked the chrome look, lol.

I believe that is all they use on the race cars anymore is a wrap. Easier, faster and going to get crashed they know, lol.

I have been thinking about using some of the flat black wrap on the aging Decor Group black out on my 73 vert. It is original paint and did not want to paint the car.

You could always do a fender or door and see if you like it first.

David

Sounds like a good option but would be interested in the cost compared to paint

You could also consider painting it in removable plastic paint

Here's a demo video from a local refinisher -

He also has many excellent videos on anything to do with automotive refinishing

Sounds like a good option but would be interested in the cost compared to paint

You could also consider painting it in removable plastic paint

Here's a demo video from a local refinisher -

Mick,

Thanks for the link - pretty amazing stuff! It appears to be far cheaper than a wrap with

other benefits as well.

Luxestang's comments are very valid - there is no real protection after being prepped for paint.

I did note that in the demo, he sprayed a section that was just sanded and there was no difference

in the finished product.

While I was living in China you saw lots of cars with wraps. They were usually high end new cars, Porsche, BMW, Ferrari, etc. One guy would change his every few months. He liked the chrome look, lol.

I believe that is all they use on the race cars anymore is a wrap. Easier, faster and going to get crashed they know, lol.

I have been thinking about using some of the flat black wrap on the aging Decor Group black out on my 73 vert. It is original paint and did not want to paint the car.

You could always do a fender or door and see if you like it first.

David
 David,

Check the link that Mick (OzCoupe) sent me - you can have your car sprayed with a removable plastic paint

and keep your original paint perfect.

On one shot they had a BMW M3 in a really way out colour and a shot showing it being removed when

the car was up for sale.

Mel

018.JPG

E46 M3 is almost a classic itself! :)
EVERYONE SHOULD DRIVE AN E46 M3 SOMETIME IN THEIR LIFE!!

ONE OF THE WORLD'S BEST PRODUCTION CARS

REGARDS,

MEL from MELBOURNE

Yeah..... but I had a BMW once (not an M3) and it was the worst experience ever. Everything that could break down did so and even the repairs (done by the official dealership, no less!) didn't last. Plus it rattled and squeaked.

I had the car for 3 years and I sold it for the cost of the repairs alone. I basically gave the car istelf away for free.

There are lemons everywhere and it can happen with any car but I will never ever own a BMW again! Never!!

It was just the worst overall experience. Complete POS car.

Back