under seat wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I noticed after taking my seats out that there is a wire going from the passenger kick panel area to two connectors under driver and passenger seats.

Whats the purpose of this wire? Is there some kind of buzzer / interlock to indicate something? A 1971 seat warmer??

Since it appears that the corresponding seat connectors and connectors from this wire were not joined, I'm assuming that the wire can be totally removed then?

Thanks!

I have connectors too, and the thing they connect to is some solenoid ment to lock unlock the seat so you can un-fold it or not.

In practice they are disconnected on mine, as they were annoying as hell. Like locking if there is no battery connected or making a "klonk" noise when

receiving juice. They are also acting weird and do not disengage (if they are ment to do so) when you lift the lever on back of the seat. I keep them just to say its on the car.

I also have another wire, tho not sure it goes under the seat (can't recall, may be was under console), this one for the warning seatbelt light, only on driver side, as passenger safety wasn't important :)

All for the cars had the seat belt warning buzzer. One of the connectors under the passenger seat hooked to the switch in the seat itself. If you had the convenience group you had the seat back release and not on all cars. No sensor in the drivers seat but if the seat belt was not pulled out and fastened the buzzer goes off.

David

[you had the seat back release]

Ha! that's how that thing is called. funny has I've disconnected it mainly because locks more than it releases!

[ No sensor in the drivers seat but if the seat belt was not pulled out and fastened the buzzer goes off.]

Is it the behaviour? On mine light goes on/off with seat belt, but no buzzer. Buzzer is on only if lights are on or ignition key in cylinder

and door is open.

Ha! that's how that thing is called. funny has I've disconnected it mainly because locks more than it releases!

[ No sensor in the drivers seat but if the seat belt was not pulled out and fastened the buzzer goes off.]

Is it the behaviour? On mine light goes on/off with seat belt, but no buzzer. Buzzer is on only if lights are on or ignition key in cylinder

and door is open.
I think there is more than one buzzer, lol. They were big into making us remember then.

What kind of sensor did they use? I see the wiring going into the back of the seat so it must be something when your back is pressed into the seat. i cant imagine it being real sophisticated. Maye some type of contact switch or something?

What kind of sensor did they use? I see the wiring going into the back of the seat so it must be something when your back is pressed into the seat. i cant imagine it being real sophisticated. Maye some type of contact switch or something?

Passenger side seat underside - seatbelt sensor and plug, and automatic seat latch release actuator plug.

Passenger side seatbelt and automatic latch wiring harness

Last edited by a moderator:

and door is open.
Fabrice,

There are two buzzers in cars with the convenience group option, one for door open/key reminder and one for the seatbelts. The seatbelt retractors ground to the chaisis thru the attaching bolt. When the seatbelt is fully retracted the ground is completed thru the purple wire and the buzzer and light are activated. Pull the seatbelt out breaks the ground. The passenger side has the additional seat pressure switch which is wired in series with the seatbelt retractor. So the the ground is completed (buzzer and light on) when the pressure sensor is closed by someone or something putting weight on the seat bottom AND the seatbelt retractor is fully retracted. The ground connection is broken if one of these conditions is not met.

The seat back latch actuators should release the seat latch when a door is opened and lock the seat when the door is closed. The little manual seat latch level should flip up and down as you open and close the door. If you take the seat back panel off you can see the actuator tucked on the side. Not sure if there is a way to adjust them to get them to work better.

At one point there was a NOS pair of these actuators on eBay.

Since your seatbelt light works, your seat belt buzzer above the glove box might be disconnected or broken.

Last edited by a moderator:
@rackerm

[since your seatbelt light works, your seat belt buzzer above the glove box might be disconnected or broken.]

Well, after David's reply, I remembered I did disconnect a few things many years ago regarding these.

I'm also pretty sure all this worked and should still be functional on the car. I just did not like the noise and feeling in the seat these thing give.

[ Not sure if there is a way to adjust them to get them to work better.]

When I've dismantled and refurbished my seats years ago, as I wasn't planning hook them up again, I've just put them back.

so it's very possible they could use some adjustment for the latch..

As I want replace the buzzers bits too "bzzzzz" for me by one similar to my T-bird's less annoying "ding ding", I'll look at these again.

Thx for the info!

Passenger side seat underside - seatbelt sensor and plug, and automatic seat latch release actuator plug.

Would this wiring arrangement ( purple wire and timer ) be used for all 71 - 73? My 71 has a 2 wire connector under each seat but no purple wire going to the seat belt retractor.

So, based on your explanation post of how things worked, how would it work in my case? Person sits down and car is started.... buckle seatbelt reminder buzzes...person fastens seatbelt... BUT if the retractor isnt connected, how would the ground be broken to shut off the reminder?

Or, maybe thats why on mine the underseat connectors were disconnected when some PO didnt know what the purple wire was for???

Would this wiring arrangement ( purple wire and timer ) be used for all 71 - 73? My 71 has a 2 wire connector under each seat but no purple wire going to the seat belt retractor.

So, based on your explanation post of how things worked, how would it work in my case? Person sits down and car is started.... buckle seatbelt reminder buzzes...person fastens seatbelt... BUT if the retractor isnt connected, how would the ground be broken to shut off the reminder?

Or, maybe thats why on mine the underseat connectors were disconnected when some PO didnt know what the purple wire was for???
SteveO,

The ground loop is completed thru the seatbelt mounting bolt thru the seatbelt retractor to the purple wire, when the belt is fullt retracted. Extending the belt breaks the ground connection. As does no one in the pass seat and putting the car in park. In other words, with the belts retracted and a person in the passenger seat and the the car running with the shift selector not in the park position will complete the ground connection and trip the buzzer.

The seat belt retractor  (purple wire) on the passenger side is the only side wired to a seat sensor. The driver's side is not. On the drivers side it is assumed that if the key is on and the car is not in park that there is a person in the drivers seat. If you break the ground connection to the seatbelt retractors by unplugging them or by extending the belt the buzzer/light will not activate. Each side works independently. 

It gets a little confusing with all the possible senarios above.

Latest posts

Back