G'day from Australia

Richard Verco

Hi All,

My first post....(hope I've done this right)

I recently collected my 71 Convertible M Code from the docks in Australia, having imported it from North California.  Having owned some interesting cars over the years, this is my first Mustang.  My daily drive is an SSV Redline Commodore with a stock 304kw LS3 Engine, but the new purchase is for cruising with the family. 

From what I can see, and the supporting Marti Report, this convertible is a reasonably rare beast, with the full M Code running gear; 351 4V, C6 and 9 inch, along with full factory Ram Air set-up.  Its got a great steering wheel design too.

First step is a complete brake overhaul and suspension rebuild (they are pretty strict over here before I can get it registered for the road).  Even though the body is in pretty good nick, next it is off to the paint shop for some minor rust repairs and a new coat of Grabber Green Metallic (love this colour), then a new white soft-top.

Can't wait to hit the road.  I'm stoked to have found this website and have been surfing it as often as I can, as you guys are all so knowledgeable about all things 71 to 73.  I will need to pick your brains over coming months....one question (maybe for another forum) when respraying, should I go stripes and bonnet (with 351 ram air decal) or not?

IMG_0457.jpg

1971_ford_mustang_034m034_code_convertible_with_71116_original_miles_and_rust_free_3.jpg

IMG_0462.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

Richard Verco

1971 M Code Convertible Grabber Green Metallic

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the site and congrats on your purchase. Nice looking convertible.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Howdy from Amsterdam, The Netherlands! Where abouts in Adelaide (SA) do you live? I used to live in Blair Athol and I do miss Adelaide some times. Loved going to Glenelg and Henley (esp the thai orchid resto).

That's a nice car, enjoy!

Hi Richard,

Nice purchase!

You will find all of the Members very helpful, they collectively have great knowledge.

I have been making contact with our Australian Members to find their locations.

At this point, you are the first Adelaide Member I am aware of - Welcome.

Mel

Howdy from Amsterdam, The Netherlands! Where abouts in Adelaide (SA) do you live? I used to live in Blair Athol and I do miss Adelaide some times. Loved going to Glenelg and Henley (esp the thai orchid resto).

Hi Vinnie,

Small world!  I'm in Prospect - the very next suburb to Blair Athol. My car was located in Placerville, and shipped out from San Francisco.  There are heaps of '66 Mustangs here, so my '71 is something different to the rest of the herd. I've never been to Amsterdam but it is on the list.

Richard Verco

1971 M Code Convertible Grabber Green Metallic

Hi Vinnie,

Small world!  I'm in Prospect - the very next suburb to Blair Athol. My car was located in Placerville, and shipped out from San Francisco.  There are heaps of '66 Mustangs here, so my '71 is something different to the rest of the herd. I've never been to Amsterdam but it is on the list.

That's around the corner! I lived opposite the St. Clements church, small world eh :-)

I went to a show and shine in Adelaide once where someone parked a very inspiring '73 Mustang (see http://vincentmobile.blogspot.nl/search?q=show+and+shine), I can't remember exactly where this was though.

Anyway, pleased to meet you and if you ever do end up visiting Amsterdam, let me know!

Cheers!

Love the white interiors, but I might be prejudice. That green is a cool color too, but with the ram air it is outstanding. Welcome from New Mexico. Ed

P1012392.jpg

gif upload 20mb

Welcome from Iowa.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Welcome from TriCities WA.

-john

(jbojo)

351C 4V cc heads, 10.5 : 1 CR, 290 Herbert cam, Flat top forged pistons, forged connecting rods, Atomic efi,

C6 with Gear Vendor overdrive, 3.89 Tru Trac, Hooker Super Comp with 2 1/2" Pypes Exhaust.        

Some Mod pictures can be seen at: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=2026]Bojo's Garage[/button]

G'day Richard

You've certainly come to the right forum for our models

Nice vert you have landed yourself too and like the color

If you need any help the knowledge base here is best but you can PM me if you like

Oh and I reckon our US mates can keep our actors and we'll have their Mustangs, perhaps I can trade the wife?

P1030238.jpg

Hey Richard, welcome to the site from Seattle. Nice looking vert you got. As for you question about adding side stripes, tutone hood, and Ram Air lettering, its purely a matter of preference. IMO they give a nice stock performance vibe, but its all about what looks good to you. Keep the pics coming as you go.

Scott

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina.

One the hood stripe. You car would not have got the black out unless it has hood locks they were together in the package for like $18.00 for both. Of course the choice is yours on adding it. The side strip was optional in 1972 and 1973 on the convertible but not in 1971. Depends on if you want to be 100% original or not.

I also see that you have Power Windows. When you remove the chrome bezel there clips that hold them on are not available. You have to slide something thin in from each side to un clip the bezel to remove. If you try to pry it off you will destroy the clips.

Not sure on 71 but all 72 and 73 verts got the deluxe door panels also.

Couple of pictures of how the clips work. I cut a section out of an old door panel so it was easier to see.

Have had someone that is due to repo these but nothing yet.

David

DSC_2036.jpg

DSC_2038.jpg

DSC_2040.jpg

DSC_2041.jpg

DSC_2042.jpg

DSC_2043.jpg

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

Welcome from Denmark Northern Part of the Europe Nation [emoji1087] Regards Lars DK73 [emoji41][emoji106]

Sendt fra min F8331 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling: