Sound off if you have a convertible

Don65Stang

Somehow I missed this thread:

2115079149_ConvertibleFront(Small).JPG.afcc1f945e42ef80619095733059562c.JPG

73 H Code, 2v, FMX, 9" rear, workin' on making her "beast" match her "beauty". :P

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

73 light blue, White top, White interior

351c 2v

Hope to have the body work done this winter.

I would say Cougars count as doner cars:D

That looks like a good starting point for a real nice project.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

I have a 73 vert but it is not a Mustang, it is a Cougar, all original Q code car. Does this count,lol.

Ok, so I'm a Mustang fan at heart but can still appreciate the "Country Club Cousin" Cougar. I'd say it still counts as a cool 73 vert especially since you also have the Mustang to go with it... pics?

I have a 73 vert but it is not a Mustang, it is a Cougar, all original Q code car. Does this count,lol.

Ok, so I'm a Mustang fan at heart but can still appreciate the "Country Club Cousin" Cougar. I'd say it still counts as a cool 73 vert especially since you also have the Mustang to go with it... pics?

In college I had the 73 mustang convert, my friend had a 73 cougar convert. It was fun cruising around with the two cars. Except he had the 4v 351 and I just had the 2v so he pretty much out ran me every time.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

I do have some pictures but the car is in rough shape, I don't think anybody wants to look at my junk,lol.

On a good note, it is an all original Q code car with power everything, actually it has all options nobody scimped on this car when they ordered it. It runs and drives, just needs body work and interior work.

my current rides

1973 Mustang Coupe

1989 Mercury Cougar XR7

1973 Mercury XR7 Cougar Convertible(sold)

1966 Mercury Comet 202

1985 F150 4x4

1962 Ford Fairlane 500

New to this Forum, I'm active in some other Forum, and happen to be sent this Link.

One of the keeps of years of restoring was our 73 Q Code, 4 Speed, Convertible.

These cars a finally getting the recognition they deserve, and now will gain in value, popularity.

Our Q Code is a very close copy of the Green convertible that was on E Bay.

Dan @ Chockostang

610780806_Apr2306.jpg.a8c07aa7cd9197a6773e851b4421c3ea.jpg

884788106_Apr2315.jpg.5fe9b4152d772fa997a618bf3f15e182.jpg

680495870_Apr2310-Copy.jpg.2ea6965fbadeda40c66016fa8836b5fb.jpg

New to this Forum, I'm active in some other Forum, and happen to be sent this Link.

One of the keeps of years of restoring was our 73 Q Code, 4 Speed, Convertible.

These cars a finally getting the recognition they deserve, and now will gain in value, popularity.

Our Q Code is a very close copy of the Green convertible that was on E Bay.

Dan @ Chockostang

::welcome:: If you will repost this under the introduction forum, you will get a nice proper welcome.

• 4 weeks later...

Dang, I sure do love these verts!

Christmas is just around the corner; have you been good this year! :)

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

I am almost finished building my 71 Mustang convertible.

It is black, black canvas top, black and silver deluxe interior. I found a 429 scj and a c6 for it, mass flo efi, 9" with detroit tru trac, variable rate power steering, ram air, 18's and 20's, a/c, seat heaters, power tinted windows, dropped front control arms. Really ready to drive it.

Sorry, all I have are build pics.

Thats all 80% of us on here has "Build pics":(

I just "finished" my '73 and am just driving it now. From the factory: 351C, C6, NASA Hood, Appearnce Group, Sport Mirrors, Console, blue interior. I have the original bill of sale and factory sheet with pencil marks for installed options. Its been repainted once, same color (close). 117K miles roughly on the car. Two owners before me (@ 5-7 years ago) replaced the suspension and re-built the motor and changed out the interior to white. The guy I got it from did new flowmaster exhuast (mid range so nice rumble at idle but not loud aggressive to drive, unless you get on it), headers, some Mach 1 clone items, added factory gauges/tach, 8-Track and other period correct items that didn't come on the car. I did a new top this summer, Mach 1 stripes to finish the clone look, better speakers for the radio and more misc. mechanical. All new steering linkage, fixed some oil leaks, etc. For safety beings I plan on driving it frequently, added Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights and three point seatbelts. Not an original concours car but a lot of fun to drive and lots of thumbs up. The headlights look stock but what a difference when driving a two lane country road at night. Handles better than new and I'd drive it anywhere without even opening the hood now.

1636565200_73Mustangtopdown.thumb.jpg.fd9c5547e1b412497412f93b501cb56a.jpg

1225113887_73MustangwithMach1stripes.thumb.jpg.9aaff0f0ad75bae972169a6801eb25f9.jpg

Respect!

I like the color and the wheels. The white interior goes well with the body color. A real harmonic concept.

Ain´t it funny how you can turn those cars into a daily driver providing almost up to date features and handling with only a few minor mods?

And again, this car is no exception: It looks better with the top up, imho.

By the way, are those Budnik wheels?

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Sounds like you made some nice improvements. The white interior should be a lot cooler on a hot day and looks good with the blue. I like the contrast of the black interior with my white convert, but it does get hot.

How about some close-up pics of the 3 point seatbelts so us other converible owners can see how you installed them.

20180127_082009.jpg

Respect!

I like the color and the wheels. The white interior goes well with the body color. A real harmonic concept.

Ain´t it funny how you can turn those cars into a daily driver providing almost up to date features and handling with only a few minor mods?

The wheels are 17" American Racing Hopsters. The guy before me put them on. I was thinking of getting Magnum 500 when I got the car 1 1/2 years ago. It had a white vinyl top that was old & had holes. Once I got the black top on, and the black Mach 1 side stripes, I decided to leave the Hopsters as they look better now by far. My wife likes the looks better with the top up as well. With the top down and the white cover, it looks great to me going down the rode but maybe thats becuase I want the top down. Part of the reason I wanted a 71-73 & not a 69-70, was the more modern car overall. I already had power disc brakes, power steering, unleaded gas engine, factory safety improvements like gas tank location, steering collapse, etc. from factory. By adding better headlights, daytime and three points, rounds out most of the modern improvements. I had the fuel lines re-done and re-routed with metal anywhere near the engine for safety reasons as well. Nothing is for sure, but I like improving my odds at reasonable cost.

Sounds like you made some nice improvements. The white interior should be a lot cooler on a hot day and looks good with the blue. I like the contrast of the black interior with my white convert, but it does get hot.

How about some close-up pics of the 3 point seatbelts so us other converible owners can see how you installed them.

I will take some shots tomorrow and post. The kit I got from Mustangs Unlimited came with the parts for multiple years & body styles. I had to use a heat gun to "mold" the interior panel just a little so I got a better fit in there. I wanted a flat spot without rubbing so the pivot moved. Fairly easy to do just don't leave the heat too long or you'll lose the surface feel. Once you get the panel off, there was a natural spot to me to drill through that had good re-inforcement and the bolt that came with an angled piece for the door jamb fit the surface very good. I bolted to factory locations only down low inside the car. Driving with the seat belts on is a natural fit, similar to a Mercedes CLK430 I had. Feels very natural. I'm 6' tall. The other issue was, I had original belts and after almost 40 years, I don't think they would have held anything. New belts, three point and old style buckles and I would say no one but a Mustang show judge would know they were not factory from day one. I know going down the road, its not as likely I will smash my face, just in case. That way if I do wreck, I can cry about my car instead of me.

Respect!

The wheels are 17" American Racing Hopsters. The guy before me put them on. I was thinking of getting Magnum 500 when I got the car 1 1/2 years ago. It had a white vinyl top that was old & had holes. Once I got the black top on, and the black Mach 1 side stripes, I decided to leave the Hopsters as they look better now by far. My wife likes the looks better with the top up as well. With the top down and the white cover, it looks great to me going down the rode but maybe thats becuase I want the top down. Part of the reason I wanted a 71-73 & not a 69-70, was the more modern car overall. I already had power disc brakes, power steering, unleaded gas engine, factory safety improvements like gas tank location, steering collapse, etc. from factory. By adding better headlights, daytime and three points, rounds out most of the modern improvements. I had the fuel lines re-done and re-routed with metal anywhere near the engine for safety reasons as well. Nothing is for sure, but I like improving my odds at reasonable cost.

I will take some shots tomorrow and post. The kit I got from Mustangs Unlimited came with the parts for multiple years & body styles. I had to use a heat gun to "mold" the interior panel just a little so I got a better fit in there. I wanted a flat spot without rubbing so the pivot moved. Fairly easy to do just don't leave the heat too long or you'll lose the surface feel. Once you get the panel off, there was a natural spot to me to drill through that had good re-inforcement and the bolt that came with an angled piece for the door jamb fit the surface very good. I bolted to factory locations only down low inside the car. Driving with the seat belts on is a natural fit, similar to a Mercedes CLK430 I had. Feels very natural. I'm 6' tall. The other issue was, I had original belts and after almost 40 years, I don't think they would have held anything. New belts, three point and old style buckles and I would say no one but a Mustang show judge would know they were not factory from day one. I know going down the road, its not as likely I will smash my face, just in case. That way if I do wreck, I can cry about my car instead of me.

Just remembered, I already posted the pics on another string.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3-point-seatbelt-conversion

Respect!

Respect!

Just remembered, I already posted the pics on another string.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-3-point-seatbelt-conversion

I checked out the other thread; I must have missed it before. The shoulder harness actually looks pretty good there!

20180127_082009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I just "finished" my '73 and am just driving it now. From the factory: 351C, C6, NASA Hood, Appearnce Group, Sport Mirrors, Console, blue interior. I have the original bill of sale and factory sheet with pencil marks for installed options. Its been repainted once, same color (close). 117K miles roughly on the car. Two owners before me (@ 5-7 years ago) replaced the suspension and re-built the motor and changed out the interior to white. The guy I got it from did new flowmaster exhuast (mid range so nice rumble at idle but not loud aggressive to drive, unless you get on it), headers, some Mach 1 clone items, added factory gauges/tach, 8-Track and other period correct items that didn't come on the car. I did a new top this summer, Mach 1 stripes to finish the clone look, better speakers for the radio and more misc. mechanical. All new steering linkage, fixed some oil leaks, etc. For safety beings I plan on driving it frequently, added Halogen Headlights with daytime running lights and three point seatbelts. Not an original concours car but a lot of fun to drive and lots of thumbs up. The headlights look stock but what a difference when driving a two lane country road at night. Handles better than new and I'd drive it anywhere without even opening the hood now.

This is one GREAT looking Mustang! You make us convertible owners proud. Those rims look awesome too. Thanks for all the info!

• 3 months later...

I posted this information this evening in the Introduction section. I also have a 1973 convertible that is a daily driver in poor (appearance)original condition. I may post a couple of pics of it later. When I was a young man in my 20's I did warranty work on these 71-73 Mustangs at the dealership I worked at. Now I enjoy owning them while working on them.

Re: 1972 base convertible resto-mod

Original car:

F-code, C-4, 8' rear axle. PS, PB, AC, Grabber Blue, white top, white interior, manual crank windows, left chrome mirror, standard hubcaps

Restored and modified completed 2004:

Q-code 351 CJ, closed chamber 4V heads, 1982 Motorsports Super CJ hydraulic camshaft, forged pistons, Torker intake, Holley 600 cfm, Pertronix Ignitor II, T-10 toploader 4 speed, 9" N-case rear traction lock 3.50 ratio, 15" magnum 500 wheels, tilt column, rimblow wheel, ginger interior, 1998 GT leather seats, power windows, left and right sport mirrors (both with each functioning remote control joysticks), white tri-coat metallic paint, grey top, silver lower accent, Boss 351 graphics, Mach I grills front and rear.

I did all the mechanical and interior work, subbed out the paint work.

72.jpg

interior.JPG

I posted this information this evening in the Introduction section. I also have a 1973 convertible that is a daily driver in poor (appearance)original condition. I may post a couple of pics of it later. When I was a young man in my 20's I did warranty work on these 71-73 Mustangs at the dealership I worked at. Now I enjoy owning them while working on them.

Re: 1972 base convertible resto-mod

Original car:

F-code, C-4, 8' rear axle. PS, PB, AC, Grabber Blue, white top, white interior, manual crank windows, left chrome mirror, standard hubcaps

Restored and modified completed 2004:

Q-code 351 CJ, closed chamber 4V heads, 1982 Motorsports Super CJ hydraulic camshaft, forged pistons, Torker intake, Holley 600 cfm, Pertronix Ignitor II, T-10 toploader 4 speed, 9" N-case rear traction lock 3.50 ratio, 15" magnum 500 wheels, tilt column, rimblow wheel, ginger interior, 1998 GT leather seats, power windows, left and right sport mirrors (both with each functioning remote control joysticks), white tri-coat metallic paint, grey top, silver lower accent, Boss 351 graphics, Mach I grills front and rear.

I did all the mechanical and interior work, subbed out the paint work.

72.jpg

interior.JPG

Looks sharp! The 98 GT seats blend in well. How about a picture showing the Grey Top!

20180127_082009.jpg

Looks sharp! The 98 GT seats blend in well. How about a picture showing the Grey Top!

This is when I was installing the top. There were no other pictures of the top up since.

grey%20top.jpg