Sound off if you have a convertible

Don65Stang

The top looks good; probably easier to keep looking clean than a white top.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

Wow, looks sharp!

If you haven't already done so, please post a short intro in the Introductions section so we can give you a proper welcome! Glad to have you here!

Doc

Doc

Project started 8-7-10

Completed: All new suspension, rebuilt 351C H Code bored .030 over with mild cam and intake, new 3.50 TracLok, custom exhaust system

Current "mini-project": interior upgrade :-/

[button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=76]Doc's Garage[/button][button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-convertible-restoration-and-modification]Doc's Wiki[/button]

WOW is that sharp! I was thinking of white with silver as a color combination.

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

Is this cheating??? :D

Maby if you add some 71/73 tail lights it would count! :D

20180127_082009.jpg

Wow, looks sharp!

If you haven't already done so, please post a short intro in the Introductions section so we can give you a proper welcome! Glad to have you here!

Doc

Just did that and I am incorporating a response to a PM I received with a couple of questions. I plan to be posting from time to time in this section in the future. I will try to help with tech responses when I can.

PM question and response:

I'm curious about the seats, did you have to do any mod work to make them fit properly?

Also the power windows.....where did you find them? Would love to be able to add that to my car?

The seats will bolt to the original seat tracks. If I remember correctly I had to drill some holes in the seat tracks to connect the '98 seats. It does not ruin the seat tracks and they can be used again if you want to put back in the original seats. The '98 seats are thicker so you will sit higher and the reclining capability is nice to make a more comfortable sitting position. However, the travel to the rear is limited by the outside seat belt retractors bolted on the floor behind the front seats. I am 6' 4" and this puts me closer to the steering wheel than I like. I may end up putting the original seats back in at a later time.

Original power window installation is possible but it requires that you get EVERY part necessary. Today it would require a donor car to do this (and I doubt all the parts will still be there). It took me many years in the early 2000's to collect all the parts required to do just the '72 conversion. People who say they have the complete PW setup to make the conversion generally don't have everything and there are critical pieces missing. Most don't realize that the harness that runs behind the defroster vents across and behind the dash is the most critical part. It is the hardest to remove because the complete dash assembly has to be removed in order to retrieve that specialized wiring harness. Also, the special relay to operate the windows is getting harder to find. Finally, the rear "pancake" window motors are reaching their serviceability life and may work very slowly, if at all. I see that they are selling a new PW conversion setup but it uses GM type switches to operate it. I won't spend that kind of money for one however I could probably figure out how to incorporate '73 original style switches to operate it. The '73 switches are still available new and many of the late '70s and early '80s Ford and Lincoln large cars still have useable harness connections that will work with these new switches. It would then take a little time to figure out how to incorporate and merge the original wiring into the newer motor assemblies and harness. This is the part of the restoration I enjoy doing.

Good luck with your car. I have had many Mustang convertibles over the last 40 years. Never disappointed, just missed them when they were gone.

Jeff

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

71 f code C4 red with black interior. just acquired the car so still in restoration process. It has the mach1 style hood, deluxe interior, and grande package.

• 2 months later...

Wow, looks sharp!

Doc

Just did that and I am incorporating a response to a PM I received with a couple of questions. I plan to be posting from time to time in this section in the future. I will try to help with tech responses when I can.

I'm curious about the seats, did you have to do any mod work to make them fit properly?

Also the power windows.....where did you find them? Would love to be able to add that to my car?

The seats will bolt to the original seat tracks. If I remember correctly I had to drill some holes in the seat tracks to connect the '98 seats. It does not ruin the seat tracks and they can be used again if you want to put back in the original seats. The '98 seats are thicker so you will sit higher and the reclining capability is nice to make a more comfortable sitting position. However, the travel to the rear is limited by the outside seat belt retractors bolted on the floor behind the front seats. I am 6' 4" and this puts me closer to the steering wheel than I like. I may end up putting the original seats back in at a later time.

Original power window installation is possible but it requires that you get EVERY part necessary. Today it would require a donor car to do this (and I doubt all the parts will still be there). It took me many years in the early 2000's to collect all the parts required to do just the '72 conversion. People who say they have the complete PW setup to make the conversion generally don't have everything and there are critical pieces missing. Most don't realize that the harness that runs behind the defroster vents across and behind the dash is the most critical part. It is the hardest to remove because the complete dash assembly has to be removed in order to retrieve that specialized wiring harness. Also, the special relay to operate the windows is getting harder to find. Finally, the rear "pancake" window motors are reaching their serviceability life and may work very slowly, if at all. I see that they are selling a new PW conversion setup but it uses GM type switches to operate it. I won't spend that kind of money for one however I could probably figure out how to incorporate '73 original style switches to operate it. The '73 switches are still available new and many of the late '70s and early '80s Ford and Lincoln large cars still have useable harness connections that will work with these new switches. It would then take a little time to figure out how to incorporate and merge the original wiring into the newer motor assemblies and harness. This is the part of the restoration I enjoy doing.

Good luck with your car. I have had many Mustang convertibles over the last 40 years. Never disappointed, just missed them when they were gone.

Jeff

1973 switches fit just make the round ends on the wires a little bigger and they plug right in all mt door switches were replaced with these and I got some of the last nos driver door ones 12 years ago and even then they were $40.

Wow, looks sharp!

Doc

Jeff

1973 switches fit just make the round ends on the wires a little bigger and they plug right in all mt door switches were replaced with these and I got some of the last nos driver door ones 12 years ago and even then they were $40.

2w6ugt2.png

Brad Smith

71 f code C4 red with black interior. just acquired the car so still in restoration process. It has the mach1 style hood, deluxe interior, and grande package.

Convertibles and Grande were exclusive of each other. (Just like there isn't a mach 1 convertible). Unlike the Grande our convertibles could included the stripes, the scooped hood, etc. The Grande was pretty much limited to coupes. You may have all of the options, the decor group is very similar to the Grande look for example.

'Mike'

73 Convertible - 351C/4V CC heads/4bolt/forged flat tops/comp 270/rhodes/mallory unilite/tri-power/hookers/glasspacks/c6/3.50 limited slip/Gear Vendors/Global West sub frames, strut rods and shelby style traction bars/ Rear sway bar/tilt steering (not original)

Pics of modifications included in: [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-convertible--3335]My Garage[/button]

• 2 months later...

1972 convertible Not sure of the code or what it even means. 351c not the original engine but the same one car came with. Has tach & gagues

2nd owner bought in 1993 had been in storage from 79 to 93 when it was traded in for a new car. Had 72k miles now has about 460k. It does not sit around undriven

Bought it was green with black top and green interior.

Now is green with white top and black interior.

Not quite the same car I bought- changed and added stuff.

Things that are more modern than the car is:

Added a cruise control a couple months after I bought it. Cruise no longer works looking for a replacement I miss it.

Replaced 3 speed with T5 overdrive a big plus for gas mileage.

Replaced all the dash lights with coloured LEDs.

Intermitent windsheild wiper switch installed.

Put in a Petronix points replacement thingie - spark plugs last a lot longer this has worked for 16 years.

Things that I have gotten from junk cars that mine did not have (besides almost the entire black interior). The car is now a weird amaglamation of parts from 1971-1972 and 1973 cars (most people would never notice):

Front drum brakes replaced with disc brakes

Am radio replaced with AM/FM stereo door speakers added.

drivers side review mirror replaced with teardrop one and passenger side teardrop one added.

short center console replaced with full size one- clock was broken and replaced it with a late 70s Ford digtal (mechanical one) If you do not know better it looks like it could be original.

map light added to center column post.

Not off an old car but after a Fed Ex semi backed into the car last year the falt hood was replaced witha reproduction NASA one.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 72 vert also. If you are into adding and adapting, try picking up a Grand Torino right hand remote controlled sport mirror. You can remove the mirror and cables from the housing and put them into a Mustang mirror housing. The joystick cable is long enough to run through the dash and mount on the right side of the steering column.

1973 302 Medium Copper Metallic, white interior, white top. 600cfm Edelbrock, headers, dual exhaust. And it's FOR SALE.

8-13-09008.jpg

FE177109-A1-C8-4-A6-C-9224-AACCFD66-C3-C9.png

Rick Bombard

1971 Grabber Green Mach 1 351C 4V

2013 Race Red California Special Convertible

1973 Medium Copper Metallic Convertible 302 4V     SOLD

1953 F-100 SOLD

'71 F Code, C-4 (built), bright blue metallic with a white top, factoy A/C and front disc brakes. Originally was going to keep it original but the motor had already been bored. Opted to replace everything mechanical motor, trans, a/c, rearend gears, exhaust etc. etc. etc.

It is still a work in progress.

925817539_1971Mustangaspurchased(2).jpg.52342a05e68c0fb47f038dea9b94a5fb.jpg

1973595773_1971Mustangaspurchased(5).JPG.0a83d51905e1a4010e6e6f089667387c.JPG

1684175759_New306ciinstalled.JPG.55f873e7c3b7bacbf339189dffc38817.JPG

626828405_New16inchAmericanRacingTorqThrustIIandGoodyearGTs.JPG.409bc945a3d9e17594c2b66e79d47f37.JPG

• 1 month later...

how did this trend slip by me???

1972, Original 302, FMX, 2.79 gears.

2012-06-01_12-41-55_395.thumb.jpg.c9db38c14ecd55546555c706f0c2683e.jpg

20120721_202124.thumb.jpg.0065ae2de18878016120e6e828170d19.jpg

20120728_144035.thumb.jpg.e7688294ce60a9aee5a18480511b3452.jpg

Iyman

1972 Mustang Convertable :run_horse:  [button=http://www.7173mustangs.com/forum-garage?filterxt_uid=1507]Visit My Garage[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Facebook Page [button=https://www.facebook.com/MUSTANGCCNE]MCCNE FB Page[/button]

Visit the Mustang Car Club of New England Web Page [button=http://www.mccne.com/]MCCNE Web Page[/button]

Here's mine.

71 302 factory bright red with black top and interior.

319194_226973690698173_1801918816_n_zps7f8319d3.jpg

dealerinvoice_zps7923539b.jpg

1971 Mustang convertible- My first car bought when I was 12 in 2008, re painted by me in 2013 with help from my boss and my dad! Still making it perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

1973 MUSTANG CONVERT, MACH 1 WANNABE LOL 351C FMX TRANS HOLLEY CARD EDELBROCK INTAKE

Post us an intro thread and share some pictures with us.

20180127_082009.jpg

th_287245_3221116901753_1193532388_o.jpg?t=1358128471

Now THIS is what I like to call a little horsey corral

67 Diamond Blue Vert

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRveIaRU6OAzTfd2Mv6ypGH49BZcPU7MS_7PBKhiOmpmJJrHJ_B_Q

DUDE

LOL even my sig line offended somebody!

73 351c-2v, C6

::chili::

20180127_082009.jpg