Electric Fan(s) and Fuel Pump Recommendations

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I will soon be swapping my original 351 Clevelend in my '73 for a 427 Windsor stroker from a local builder (Smeding). I am also going to go with the Vintage Air Front Runner serpentine accessory drive as well. As such, I will need to go with and an electric fuel pump and cooling fan(s). I am looking for recommendations please.

I did a walbro 255 lph in tank electric fuel pump from Tanks Inc. I also purchased their roll over valve and inline fuel filter. I liked the pump in the tank because they claim it's quieter and runs cooler since it's submerged in fuel. Install was easy. I had to take a 4" holesaw and cut the top of the tank where the original vent was. Then I had to weld in the support ring ( I started with a brand new gas tank). Once that was done, I screwed in the pump and that was it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a walbro 255 lph in tank electric fuel pump from Tanks Inc. I also purchased their roll over valve and inline fuel filter. I liked the pump in the tank because they claim it's quieter and runs cooler since it's submerged in fuel. Install was easy. I had to take a 4" holesaw and cut the top of the tank where the original vent was. Then I had to weld in the support ring ( I started with a brand new gas tank). Once that was done, I screwed in the pump and that was it.
I believe I am going to go this route as well. So there is plenty of room for the pump/inlet/outlets?

Yes, plenty of room once you install the tank. I ran AN -6 fuel line from the pump to new 3/8 steel fuel line. I am running a holley sniper efi system so I used the vapor line as the return.

@johnwansel

I run a sniper too, and have also an additional electric fan.

Its currently triggered two ways, one from a contact on dashboard (if I get in traffic and its a hot day, I can put in on manually before temp rises)

and via a sensor/thermostat in upper radiator hose when temp is above set temp.

I saw the sniper has a connector for electric fans, on handheld, I saw this past summer, that the fan port goes on. As I bought the master kit I also got the female connector, and would love to remove the thermostat and use the sniper controlled fan. I haven't really dived into this, but so far I don't know if the sniper would continue to power the fan even after the engine is shut off as my thermostat does until it reaches a temp bellow settings.

I will put a volt meter on the connector to get my answer when I'll be on this, but in case you have done this may be you know or have extra tips/experience to share.

Back