Turn signals dim

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, 351 4v, C6, Holley 650
Need help troubleshooting the '71 turn signals.  Here is what I know.

Problem;

Turn signals are very dim and flash fast.  

With lights on the TS are barely visible.  Almost no change in brightness.

With brake lights on the TS blacks out the proper brake light then barely flashes dim and fast.

Also, noticed that the license plate light does not work.  Bulb looks fine but have not tested or replaced it yet.

What works;

Brake lights, running lights and back up lights and E flashers seem to work fine. 

What I've done;

Cleaned all sockets and bulbs.  

Confirmed good ground in rear wiring harness in all bulbs.

Removed flasher to test it without.  No E flash.  Normal E flash brightness and signal duration when flasher was reinstalled.

Installed a new signal switch about a year ago.

Any thoughts for the next step would help.  I hate electrical stuff.  But I love it when I find the issue.

Thanks in advance.  Not sure where to go from here.

Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
I was under the dash a bit ago and as noted above found the E flasher and tested it. After looking at the wiring diagrams I see there should be a directional flasher there somewhere. I only saw the one flasher.

one flasher under the driver side and one i believe you need to remove the glove box to see it . between the g box and the dash.you might want to change to a electronic flasher

one flasher under the driver side and one i believe you need to remove the glove box to see it . between the g box and the dash.you might want to change to a electronic flasher
Bring me up to speed on the electronic flasher.  Is that different?

There is no glove box.  Only a door so it's easy to see in there.  No flasher that I can find.  Weird

Ok color me stupid but wow that TS flasher is hidden well. Can't see it even without the glove box in and laying on the floorboard so I put my phone up in there and voila! Great! Next step to get a new flasher and see what happens.

The fuse may also be the problem. The connection between the fuse and clips in the fuse block may be corroded. The fuses can also be corroded internally, and still look good. The corrosion creates resistance to the flow of electrons. Clean the clips and install a new fuse.

The fuse may also be the problem. The connection between the fuse and clips in the fuse block may be corroded. The fuses can also be corroded internally, and still look good. The corrosion creates resistance to the flow of electrons. Clean the clips and install a new fuse.
Great idea !!   Thanks!!

Just pulled the E flasher and put it in the TS flasher with great success! So I just needed a new flasher after all. Glad it was easy.

Thanks for all the input. Still gonna clean those fuse connections.

Back