351c block casting # decipher/decode

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

revsitup

Reaction score
My Car
!971 Mustang sportsroof
I need some help decoding the #,s/date casting on this block.  A friend of mine found it in a garage he was cleaning out in our town.  The owners claim it was the original motor out  of a 71 Mustang sportsroof . Should there be a partial vin on this block?   My friend looked but did not see anything.    Also the D2AE casting looks like it ends in GA instead of CA which seems more popular when I did a search.   The middle digit in the casting date is hard to read also?      Is this a 74 casting date?

Any help appreciated.   

i

D2AE-CA is the engineering version

D2 = 1972

4A4 is the casting date

4 = 4th year

A = January

4 = 4th day of the month

The block was cast on January 4, 1974

The second pic is a bit baffling but looks like the assembly date ttpically found on the front right side of block and not a partial VIN found on the back of block below the head on the right side. If I am correct the assembly date is

4 = 4th year

C = March

11 = Eleventh day

A = Atlanta assembly plant

If i am correct, the assembly date is two months after the casting date which is a little bit late. typically these two dates are within a month of each other. Can you verify the location of this number? Also look for the six digit VIN.

The other possibility is

4 = 4th year

C = Ontario truck assembly plant

11 = Eleventh day

A = January

Conclusion, regardless of what the second pic is, the block is not from a mustang. Could be from any number of 1974 models, possibly a Torino or Montego which were assembled in the Ford Atlanta assembly plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
D2AE-CA is the engineering version

D2 = 1972

4A4 is the casting date

4 = 4th year

A = January

4 = 4th day of the month

The block was cast on January 4, 1974

The second pic is a bit baffling but looks like the assembly date ttpically found on the front right side of block and not a partial VIN found on the back of block below the head on the right side. If I am correct the assembly  date is

4 = 4th year

C = March

11 = Eleventh day

A = Atlanta  assembly plant

If i am correct, the assembly date is two months after the casting date which is a little bit late. typically these two dates are within a month of each other. Can you verify the location of this number? Also look for the six digit VIN.

The other possibility is

4 = 4th year

C = Ontario truck assembly plant

11 = Eleventh day

A = January

Conclusion, regardless of what the second pic is, the block is not from a mustang. Could be from any number of 1974 models, possibly a Torino or Montego which were assembled in the Ford Atlanta assembly plant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you very much for taking the time to post this info.   I kind of thought that was a 1974 date but the owner keeps insisting it was pulled from a 71 Mustang and was original to that car.   obviously he is mistaken

Thanks again

Back