Kool things Ford workers left behind when they were building your car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I decided to start this post after posting pics of all the parts I found under the carpet of my 72 Bright Lime convertible I have posted for sale in the Classified section. You can go there to see the pics rest of the pics. There were new nuts, bolts, screws, clips, small empty containers for sealants/glue, plastic tie wraps, and other things I don't even have a name for! And then there were the scissors clunking around in the back of the front passenger seat!

https://ibb.co/f2sd2n[/URL]

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-1972-bright-lime-convertible-is-on-ebay-check-it-out?pid=316634#pid316634

IMG_1737.jpg

Found this mystery number (#39) on my 73 convertible. Possibly an assembly line rotation number, on the back side of the panel between the rear seat and the trunk.

Found this mystery number (#39) on my 73 convertible. Possibly an assembly line rotation number, on the back side of the panel between the rear seat and the trunk.

VERY COOL!! I forgot to send the pics of the build sheets on the yellow vert I sold which was originally Copper. Here you go...
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
I do not have a picture of it but when I pulled the long console out of the 1972 Q code Mach 1 T-5 there was a cigarette melted into the carpet. Someone had put their cig. down and then someone put the console over it and screwed it down.

In the 73 vert I have there was a 7/16" swivel head socket inside the left quarter where the glass rolls down.

In the 73 Black vert I have it had the build sheet that gives the special instructions on the bottom to install Argent Front Bumper. I sent copy to Marti and it was the first time he had ever seen one. He did not know that 73 special paint cars came with Argent front bumpers.

David

I do not have a picture of it but when I pulled the long console out of the 1972 Q code Mach 1 T-5 there was a cigarette melted into the carpet. Someone had put their cig. down and then someone put the console over it and screwed it down.

In the 73 vert I have there was a 7/16" swivel head socket inside the left quarter where the glass rolls down.

In the 73 Black vert I have it had the build sheet that gives the special instructions on the bottom to install Argent Front Bumper. I sent copy to Marti and it was the first time he had ever seen one. He did not know that 73 special paint cars came with Argent front bumpers.

David

OMG David! I also have a 1973 Special order black convertible (Q code, auto) and it has an argent front bumper! I assumed someone had swapped it or painted it! The car is currently undergoing a resto. Cool stuff indeed!!

David

OMG David! I also have a 1973 Special order black convertible (Q code, auto) and it has an argent front bumper! I assumed someone had swapped it or painted it! The car is currently undergoing a resto. Cool stuff indeed!!
I think I posted a scanned copy of it on here you might search. I will have to go find the scan. Did you look for your build sheet? The fillers in front of the rear bumper should also be Argent. These pictures are of another one I say on Ebay last year for sale. It had original paint. He had never looked for the build sheet. There were three Special Items on my car Marti nor I could figure out the other two. Something about wheels and hood. There are fragments of side stripes showing on the door ends also. Special build items do not show up in Marti's reports because he does not have that data.

The 71 & 72 cars got chrome bumpers. 73 Ford did not want to have to make the special paint with the flex agent in it for the odd colors so they chose to put Argent bumpers and fillers in.

You should for sure put back original. My build sheet is proof positive they did do that.

David

The best thing we ever found was a bakelite plastic coffee cup with the old FOMOCO logo on it inside the door of a 1961 Starliner.  It was in very good shape and still had coffee stains in it.

I do not know what happened to it - my father used it for many years in his shop.

- Paul

On another note - we always look in the ash trays and under the seats of any old car we have access to.

We have found many pre 1965 coins - they are silver - silver is good.

There are several 1950'S 4 door heaps in a tree line near us - we found over $100.00 worth silver - mostly dimes and quarters.  

Back to coffee cups - In one we found a cup that sports 1960's looking girls in bikini's - when you add hot coffee the bikini tops disappear - I still have that one.

I torment my children with it.

- Paul

On another note - we always look in the ash trays and under the seats of any old car we have access to.

We have found many pre 1965 coins - they are silver - silver is good.

There are several 1950'S 4 door heaps in a tree line near us - we found over $100.00 worth silver - mostly dimes and quarters.  

Back to coffee cups - In one we found a cup that sports 1960's looking girls in bikini's - when you add hot coffee the bikini tops disappear - I still have that one.

I torment my children with it.

- Paul
lollerz

That is so cool (and smart) Paul!

David

I think I posted a scanned copy of it on here you might search. I will have to go find the scan. Did you look for your build sheet? The fillers in front of the rear bumper should also be Argent. These pictures are of another one I say on Ebay last year for sale. It had original paint. He had never looked for the build sheet. There were three Special Items on my car Marti nor I could figure out the other two. Something about wheels and hood. There are fragments of side stripes showing on the door ends also. Special build items do not show up in Marti's reports because he does not have that data.

The 71 & 72 cars got chrome bumpers. 73 Ford did not want to have to make the special paint with the flex agent in it for the odd colors so they chose to put Argent bumpers and fillers in.

You should for sure put back original. My build sheet is proof positive they did do that.

David

WOW!! That's the car I bought!! What a small world it is when it comes to these cars. No luck on the build sheet, but I have the Eminger Sheet. The car is partially disassembled and waiting to be restored. I'm so glad you told me about the bumper and fillers. I assumed they were painted by the prior owner and I was going to paint them black. Do you have any idea how many special order black cars were made in 73?

ok now this is getting confusing, Am I correct in saying that David (Carolina Mtn Mustangs) has a 73 special order black paint and that kevken has one as well, that he bought from someone else? IF that is correct is it from another forum member? And REALLY interested how many special order and what colors were made in 73 but also 71-72.

ok now this is getting confusing, Am I correct in saying that David (Carolina Mtn Mustangs) has a 73 special order black paint and that kevken has one as well, that he bought from someone else? IF that is correct is it from another forum member? And REALLY interested how many special order and what colors were made in 73 but also 71-72.
According to Marti there were Special paint with various trim cars produced....

Year   Coupe  Fastback Vert    Total

71        325       82        67      474

72        227       62        93      382

73        319      102      277     698 

No stats on what all the special colors were.

Hi Libram. Yes, if I understand correctly, David has one and so do I. David posted a pic of one he saw for sale last year and it turns out I had bought that one.

huh, small world for those of us that are so invested I guess, nice little gem to find and with proof of its factory color.

According to Marti there were Special paint with various trim cars produced....

Year   Coupe  Fastback Vert    Total

71        325       82        67      474

72        227       62        93      382

73        319      102      277     698 

No stats on what all the special colors were.
Thanks Rackerm. Very good information to know!

Back