1972 Mach 1 Grille Support

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_Morgan

Reaction score
My Car
2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack.
1972 Mach 1 Deluxe.
Hey guys, just sent my 72 to body work/paint. My guy is finding some issues with it. Namely the hood latch isn't lining up with the core support. The bracket appears to be about an inch or so too tall. So either the top two bolts go in and the bottom hangs, or the bottom bolt goes in and it sits too high. When it hangs too low it hits the valance and it causes a domino effect. My question here is I'm seeing two different kinds of brackets. A bracket that bolts with the two in the middle or a bracket with four bolts on the outside. Which fits mine? Which is supposed to be there? This car was a basket case when I got it so I'm really not sure at this point. Guidance is welcome. Car isn't in my possession right now so photos are a bit hard to grab.

Hey guys, just sent my 72 to body work/paint. My guy is finding some issues with it. Namely the hood latch isn't lining up with the core support. The bracket appears to be about an inch or so too tall. So either the top two bolts go in and the bottom hangs, or the bottom bolt goes in and it sits too high. When it hangs too low it hits the valance and it causes a domino effect. My question here is I'm seeing two different kinds of brackets. A bracket that bolts with the two in the middle or a bracket with four bolts on the outside. Which fits mine? Which is supposed to be there? This car was a basket case when I got it so I'm really not sure at this point. Guidance is welcome. Car isn't in my possession right now so photos are a bit hard to grab.
Well Capn, Not sure what is going on, doesn't make sense to me. Yes a picture of your problem would be most helpful understanding what you are asking.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 71 Mach. I don't think there are different latch brackets between 71 and 72. The only thing I can think of being you say your ca was a "basket case" is the bracket is from a different car, not a mustang. That picture would really help!!

Take a look at these pics and tell us if I'm getting what you're talking about. The first two are from before anything was touched on the car, a before shot and the last is after restoration.

Good luck with your car. Any questions, there are tons of great people here to help, just ask.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Capn, Not sure what is going on, doesn't make sense to me. Yes a picture of your problem would be most helpful understanding what you are asking.

Here are a couple of pictures of my 71 Mach. I don't think there are different latch brackets between 71 and 72. The only thing I can think of being you say your ca was a "basket case" is the bracket is from a different car, not a mustang. That picture would really help!!

Take a look at these pics and tell us if I'm getting what you're talking about. The first two are from before anything was touched on the car, a before shot and the last is after restoration.

Good luck with your car. Any questions, there are tons of great people here to help, just ask.

Geoff.
Yes. There are two different grille supports. Ones that have two bolts and look like a fin and the sport grille style which has 4 bolts. What I’m wondering about is if there are any similar fin styles that were on a different car all together since mine doesnt fit correctly. 

Also anyone selling the sport grille style support? Lol

I have seen 72 grills with one bracket in middle and have also seen with two brackets one on each side. I do not have any pictures of 72 here is my 73. I can't swear to it but I think the single center bracket on 73 is same as one used on single 72 cars. The 72 grills have the bolt holes for both also center single and two left and right.

David

For 72 there is only one center support bracket and extension - I probably have some used ones

In early 71 there was the dual mount type with two supports as Geoff showed on his car

Late 71 and all of 72 the the single center support.

In 73 there was a single support but the bracket and handle are different VS. 71 - 72

PM me if you need the parts

Don, how right you are. Here is a pic of my old 72 "Q" code which was an April car. Just one vertical bracket.

This is the car that got away, wish I'd kept it, then I might have fixed the rad!! I did NOT know that the engine block and heads were BOSS until a couple of years ago............ now I really wish I hadn't sold it. The story I got was the original block froze and cracked so the PO dropped in a "spare engine with solid lifters" to sell it. Wish I knew a tenth of what I know now!!

Geoff.

BTW, that air cleaner I custom made. it was a modded Chrysler 17" on a Rochester 4 V spread bore carb, good for 10mpg!

Don, how right you are. Here is a pic of my old 72 "Q" code which was an April car. Just one vertical bracket.

This is the car that got away, wish I'd kept it, then I might have fixed the rad!! I did NOT know that the engine block and heads were BOSS until a couple of years ago............ now I really wish I hadn't sold it. The story I got was the original block froze and cracked so the PO dropped in a "spare engine with solid lifters" to sell it. Wish I knew a tenth of what I know now!!

Geoff.

BTW, that air cleaner I custom made. it was a modded Chrysler 17" on a Rochester 4 V spread bore carb, good for 10mpg!
Hey guys, got some pics of everything. As you can see the latch that came off a 71 mach is too tall for my core support. My core support is a dynacorn repop. Its 20.5” tall. Which i believe is the original height. Anyone have any help now? https://ibb.co/h6wNjc

https://ibb.co/gRpxHx

Is there a difference in the early vs. late support height?

Seems odd that there would be as that would indicate that the core support changed at that time also.

I'd be curious to know what you find out.

Have you dry fit all of the components to make sure everything lines up ok? Hood, grille, headlight buckets etc.?

Not sure if these will help, but again this is my 71. As far as I know, there are no differences in the 71-72's as far as rad cradle and front end supports, but there might be some on the 73 as the front end was changed for the 5 mph bumpers. I'm sure 73 owners can offer better input on that, not my area of any knowledge.

Something does look wrong for sure, so perhaps these pics will help. The top of the latch is almost level with the top of the rad support as you can see. From the bottom of the cradle to the top measures 21 1/4" or there abouts. Mine is of course the earlier double bracket,  but when all said and done, the hood and fenders are the same on both years.

I should ask, have you tried to close the hood with the latch where it its? Be careful though!!!!

Geoff.

Not sure if these will help, but again this is my 71. As far as I know, there are no differences in the 71-72's as far as rad cradle and front end supports, but there might be some on the 73 as the front end was changed for the 5 mph bumpers. I'm sure 73 owners can offer better input on that, not my area of any knowledge.

Something does look wrong for sure, so perhaps these pics will help. The top of the latch is almost level with the top of the rad support as you can see. From the bottom of the cradle to the top measures 21 1/4" or there abouts. Mine is of course the earlier double bracket,  but when all said and done, the hood and fenders are the same on both years.

I should ask, have you tried to close the hood with the latch where it its? Be careful though!!!!

Geoff.
You are the man! Thank you! The issue I’m having is that dynacorn’s repops are 20.5” tall. So I have no idea how they keep selling them. Perhaps the mach and the coupes are different? Or maybe I’m just going crazy. Even Dynacorns website lists it as 20.5” not 21.25”. No idea. Regardless thanks a ton man!

Thanks Capn.

It does look like there is something wrong with your rad cradle. It's a bit crude, but perhaps check the dimensions I outlined in red on the original car before any restoration, it is factory correct.. Then possibly check with Dynacorn to ask IF there are differences between 72 and 73 for overall height. The only difference I am aware of is that the engine in the 73 is set lower in the frame, I believe for clearance for the EGR plate under the carb. Again 73 experts please chime in.

IF by chance Dyancorn just got it wrong and you have the cradle installed as you have, then you're in for a lot of work to correct someone else's screw-up. As I said, as far as I know there is no difference on the top side, fender rails, hood height etc., but does the 73 cradle sit the 3/4" higher at the bottom to allow for the 5 mph bumper? I don't know. BUT, thinking about that, it would mean that the whole thing would also be 3/4" lower if it was attached at the frame rails, ending up that 3/4" lower at the top if you get my meaning.

For sure, there is something different and I'm not sure if it's because of say, a flat hood versus NASA hood. What other differences can there be????

If some others could check there cars and add to this, please do.

Geoff.

I thought I screwed mine up as it's the same, too short for the latch.  Might just drill out the new spot welds and find one thats right. The apron on the passenger side doesn't fit right either...
 Rick, I just measured approx where I marked the red arrows using a straight edge. So, beside the rad bracket from the upper most top surface, is 3/4" and to the edge of the fender is 1.150". I hope this give both you and Capn Morgan some help.

Geoff.

Thanks Capn.

It does look like there is something wrong with your rad cradle. It's a bit crude, but perhaps check the dimensions I outlined in red on the original car before any restoration, it is factory correct.. Then possibly check with Dynacorn to ask IF there are differences between 72 and 73 for overall height. The only difference I am aware of is that the engine in the 73 is set lower in the frame, I believe for clearance for the EGR plate under the carb. Again 73 experts please chime in.

IF by chance Dyancorn just got it wrong and you have the cradle installed as you have, then you're in for a lot of work to correct someone else's screw-up. As I said, as far as I know there is no difference on the top side, fender rails, hood height etc., but does the 73 cradle sit the 3/4" higher at the bottom to allow for the 5 mph bumper? I don't know. BUT, thinking about that, it would mean that the whole thing would also be 3/4" lower if it was attached at the frame rails, ending up that 3/4" lower at the top if you get my meaning.

For sure, there is something different and I'm not sure if it's because of say, a flat hood versus NASA hood. What other differences can there be????

If some others could check there cars and add to this, please do.

Geoff.
Mine is a 72 and to my knowledge there is no difference between 71 and 72 except for the restrictions on the engine due to emission standards. But the dinensions of the Dynacorn listing are way off. We fixed the issue by adding some metal under it and so far it appears to be correct. But if other people are also experiencing this same issue then I might not be as crazy as I thought haha

I thought I screwed mine up as it's the same, too short for the latch.  Might just drill out the new spot welds and find one thats right. The apron on the passenger side doesn't fit right either...
The issue with doing that is that the bottom of the latch will then hot the valance. You could trim the bottom of the latch down as well but its not a true problem solver if these are still being made incorrectly.

I have both a 72 and 73 and went out and measured each of them. From the bottom of the frame closest to the ground where it bolts on to the top of radiator support they are BOTH exactly the same at 21 1/4".

Our Mustangs used the same Torino sourced radiator support from 71-73. There two different part numbers, one for the vert and the other for 65 and 63 body styles. (Don't remember the difference but vert used same hood latch system) The hood latch support with two support arms was installed through 6-13-71. From 6-14-71 until the last 73 rolled off the line the single support system was used with the only change being a hood release latch with a longer handle for the 73's. Ford replaced the earlier design with the from 6-14-71design, so they are interchangeable.

The problem appears to be the center height as I would trust Geoff and jeff8877's measurement info before Dynacorn's.

At one time there was a forum member that was also a Dynacorn dealer but cannot recall his name. If someone in that position could measure several to see if the height discrepancy was across the board or just a few would sure be helpful. Especially for those of us who will need this same part in the future!

I know Don sells some Dynacorn products but not sure how much of their sheet metal he stocks or if this is something he is already aware of!

EDIT....After researching further I found some info pertaining to the difference between the hardtop and vert radiator supports. WCCC (West Coast Classic Cougars) sells the Dynacorn radiator support and this is his product description: This reproduction radiator / core support assembly includes the lower crossmember and is the very best one made! The outer width on the frame rails for the hardtops is 35-1/2 inches, a convertible has a width of 35-1/4 inches. A good body man should be able to make a hardtop core support fit a convertible, but know that it is different. We generally have 4-6 convertibles on the ground in the wrecking yard at any given time, so please call 503-463-1130 for your convertible needs.

Our Mustangs used the same Torino sourced radiator support from 71-73. There two different part numbers, one for the vert and the other for 65 and 63 body styles. (Don't remember the difference but vert used same hood latch system) The hood latch support with two support arms was installed through 6-13-71. From 6-14-71 until the last 73 rolled off the line the single support system was used with the only change being a hood release latch with a longer handle for the 73's. Ford replaced the earlier design with the from 6-14-71design, so they are interchangeable.

The problem appears to be the center height as I would trust Geoff and jeff8877's measurement info before Dynacorn's.

At one time there was a forum member that was also a Dynacorn dealer but cannot recall his name. If someone in that position could measure several to see if the height discrepancy was across the board or just a few would sure be helpful. Especially for those of us who will need this same part in the future!

I know Don sells some Dynacorn products but not sure how much of their sheet metal he stocks or if this is something he has already aware of!
Here is the description from the dynacorn website which is 20.5”. Its where I got my originak measurement from. 

https://m.imgur.com/O8LK2G1

They say a mind is a terrible thing to waste! I must of had a brain f**t... err brain fade that is. I had gone to the Dynacorn site and saw the 20.5" measurement and my brain cells must of immediately gone into neutral when I was typing my post.

Used rust free undamaged radiator supports are becoming a tough find, NOS units are like finding the Holy Grail! Appreciate the products Dynacorn has brought to the market so far, especially any 71-73 parts. But.. how about some parts that fit without reworking them!! Take your hands out of our pockets long enough to listen to us.

Back