Correct carpet and seat covers? Marti report enclosed

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy69

Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1, 351 2V, FMX Medium Copper Metallic with White Knit Vinyl Interior.
I recently acquired a 73 mach 1 that came with the sports interior knit vinyl seats.

I have 2 questions;

1. Should the seats be two tone (i have seen white with greyish/silver inserts) or just white.

2. Should the carpet be black with black heel areas or black with gray?

I need to ask as the carpet was replaced and the seats recovered at some point and while all is still in good shape they are red...

Thanks for the help :)

As i purchased a marti report, i figured some that look at this may be interested in seeing the details and it was a good teaser for the subject line

01/73 January, 1973

63R Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof

5M Medium Copper Metallic Paint, Ford #5144-A

GW White Knit Vinyl Bucket Seats

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle (seriously, wtf!)

15 Newark DSO (District Sales Office

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- Console

- Power Front Disc Brakes

- Bumper Rub Strips

- Air Conditioner - SelectAire

- Electric Rear Window Defroster

- AM/FM Stereo Radio

- Mach I Sports Interior Option

- Tinted Glass-Complete

- Power Side Windows

- Forged Aluminum Wheels

Hello and welcome...nice car to work on.

I also have a 73 Mach 1 with the GW interior. The white seat covers should have the greyish inserts in them. The reproduction seat covers that you can buy are not correct and are all white. You can still purchase the original seat inserts and have them sewn into a set of reproduction covers which is what I did. Your carpet should be black with the grey inserts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently acquired a 73 mach 1 that came with the sports interior knit vinyl seats.

I have 2 questions;

1. Should the seats be two tone (i have seen white with greyish/silver inserts) or just white.

2. Should the carpet be black with black heel areas or black with gray?

I need to ask as the carpet was replaced and the seats recovered at some point and while all is still in good shape they are red...

Thanks for the help :)

As i purchased a marti report, i figured some that look at this may be interested in seeing the details and it was a good teaser for the subject line

01/73 January, 1973

63R Mustang Mach I 2-Door SportsRoof

5M Medium Copper Metallic Paint, Ford #5144-A

GW White Knit Vinyl Bucket Seats

X FMX Select Shift Automatic Transmission

2 2.75 Conventional Rear Axle (seriously, wtf!)

15 Newark DSO (District Sales Office

Your vehicle was equipped with the following features:

- E70X14 Belted White Sidewall Tires

- Convenience Group

- Power Steering

- Console

- Power Front Disc Brakes

- Bumper Rub Strips

- Air Conditioner - SelectAire

- Electric Rear Window Defroster

- AM/FM Stereo Radio

- Mach I Sports Interior Option

- Tinted Glass-Complete

- Power Side Windows

- Forged Aluminum Wheels
Nicely optioned car!

Here is the page from the brochure for the Mach I with your interior option....

thanks for the responses guys.

Jeff, that's exactly what i was wondering. I have seen the seats available with the silver side inserts but not the grayish center as in you photos. I am not planning on a serious exact restoration so they are close enough for me.

I hate the 2 spoke steering wheel so it will be replaced with something else, ideas? I will probably paint the car calypso corral as well as given a choice, i would have a 70 mach 1 in that color... the original motor and wheels are also gone. I am planning a roller cam 351 and an aod. wheels for now will likely be lake model mustang tt style as i have a set laying around.

I also have a few vintage aftermarket radios so one of them will be going in also.

I am a mustang guy (and trans ams) but family and $$ kept me in fox cars until 4th gen f body prices dropped. I also have an 08 bullitt and my oldest son has a 14 gt500. 3 other kids came of age when i had a 99 camaro ss so 2 have z28's (an 81 and a 94) and 2 have firebirds (76 ta and 97 formula). the last child doesn't care about cars :( 5 out of 6 isn't too bad though

2nd gen trans am prices have gone crazy so i blew it never buying a 71-73 t/a that was really the first car i ever wanted :( then a 70 scj 4 speed twister special. I have a 340 duster which would have been #3 on my list and a 68 390 4 speed AMX that would be #4. i still have my first mustang also, an 84 lx 5.0 5 speed coupe i bought in 1990 or 91. my best friend had 69s and 70;s when i was in high school in the mid 80's

Jeff, i will probably be needing some more info on what should be white as my interior is less than stellar and has had butcher hands in the mix.

Anyone want to guide me to a console frame? mine has damage. i am willing to get another damaged one to make mine whole but $700 is out of the question for a new one.

Back