Three wire Clock?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
66 Mustang 347/C4
69 Cougar XR7 460/C6
Many of you are familiar with my 'three wire' tachometer conversions.  Many of you also know that I repair clocks.  Some of you may have noticed that I had to stop offering clock servce to the General Time (GT) movements used in the console clocks due to a lack of usable parts.

Well, I have come up with a 'three wire' clock conversion for the console clocks used in 69-73 Mustangs and 71-73 Cougars.

Without going into detail right now, I would like some input from actual owners on whether or not the differnces in my clock versus the OEM clock will be acceptable or if I should abandon this product.

Differences from Stock:

1 - There is no second hand.

2 - I am not using the stock hands but very close replacements.

3 - I have not come up with a suitable chrome center cap, so right now it is black.

4 - The new clock uses the OEM wiring plus a third switchable wire.

5 - The clock is silent. No winding, clicking or ticking. (The minute hand 'tics' forward each minute, but makes no sound.)

The good news:

It bolts in like the original.

To the casual observer it will look stock.

It draws almost no power at all (less than 0.05A @ 12.5 VDC).

I don't have a firm price yet, but I can say it will be less than the 'quartz conversions' currently being offered.

Of course it will have the RCCI Lifetime warranty.

I have enough cores and parts to build 10 anyway, but am wondering if this is something I should look at offering as a new product.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bob,

That sounds great !!!

I wish I knew before I had you rebuild my original a month or so ago. Mine is working well and I believe I have it set up to make good time, so far.

Thank you for your services.

Thanks, Jay

Good going, Bob!

Just one thought: can you make it go backwards? I'd like to get a bit younger and get rid of these aches and pains...I'm sure there would be a large demand. *G*

Bob,

That sounds great !!!

I wish I knew before I had you rebuild my original a month or so ago. Mine is working well and I believe I have it set up to make good time, so far.

Thank you for your services.

Thanks, Jay
If your repaired clock fails under warranty I will credit that toward a conversion if you opt to go that way.

I would prefer having the sweep Seconds hand. Is this to hard to incorporate?
Sorry, adding the mechanics for a third hand will drive the cost up considerably.

Last I knew the only reason these clocks have a second hand is so you can see if they are running. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be building a few anyway - I will reserve one for you.

Right now I am looking at whether using the OEM minute & hour hands is an option.

As a side note, I have had the prototype running on my bench off a 9V battery for a few days now. It's still keeping perfect time.

I will be building a few anyway - I will reserve one for you.

Right now I am looking at whether using the OEM minute & hour hands is an option.

As a side note, I have had the prototype running on my bench off a 9V battery for a few days now. It's still keeping perfect time.
Excellent let me know when your ready and I will ship my clock to you.

John J

Back