C4 Trans Mystery Part

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
Many years ago when I changed my trans fluid and filter I found a strange looking plastic plunger looking think with a rubber o-ring and a long stem in the trans oil pan. About 5 3/4 inches long. Back in the 70's I could not figure out where it went and just threw it back in the trans oil pan and left it there. So every time I've change the transmission fluid since I've just thrown it back in the pan. 

This time I took the time to do some research and was reading through the factory repair manuals and found an entry under the control valve body section and found the following. 

"Remove and discard the nylon shipping plug from the oil pan filler tube hole. This plug is used to retain transmission fluid within the transmission during shipment and should be discarded when the oil pan is removed. "

Mystery solved after all these years! Should I through it back in the pan this time for Old Times Sake?

?

I'm into originality most of the time but, I think you've taking it too far.  :p  Leave it out in your shop and use it as a "guess what this" item. Chuck

Put it up on eBay, claiming it is a Shelby original part...

I'm into originality most of the time but, I think you've taking it too far.  :p  Leave it out in your shop and use it as a "guess what this" item. Chuck

Thats a good idea!

Put it up on eBay, claiming it is a Shelby original part...
... low mileage too!

Back