How do you test the cigarette lighter outlet?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1, Q code 351CJ, 4 speed.
Ok probably a dumb question but if I wanted to test the outlet with a meter how would I do it?  Find a body ground and then lut the red prob to the center of the outlet?

What goes bad the outlet or the plug in lighter?

Yes, that's the right way to test it. I like to tape the sides of the probe so I don't cause a short. The lighter element is most likely to go bad. Some lighter sockets have a screw-on fuse on the end, where the wire connects to.

Yes, that's the right way to test it. I like to tape the sides of the probe so I don't cause a short. The lighter element is most likely to go bad. Some lighter sockets have a screw-on fuse on the end, where the wire connects to.
It is continuous voltage right?  How many volts should it read?

Also, There was a dime stuck down in the bottom of my outlet.  Is that some kind of bubba fix???

12V at the cigarette lighter.

I test it my pushing in the element, pulling it out, and feeling if it is hot or not...

And all this time I thought using my wet finger was the proper way to test it!

Ya learn something new all the time. :poke:

The dime is not a fix, it likely caused a short, blowing a fuse or burning up a wire. And yes, on our cars it has voltage all the time, whether the key is off or on.

Last edited by a moderator:

I know, right?  I used to hate when all those 'car guys' would berate me for that... tellin' me I'm doing it wrong.  Whatever.

:whistling:

lollerz

12V at the cigarette lighter.

I test it my pushing in the element, pulling it out, and feeling if it is hot or not...
Then you drop your roach on it :chin: :whistling:

A tongue works just as well!

Back