How do you test the cigarette lighter outlet?

Ok probably a dumb question but if I wanted to test the outlet with a meter how would I do it?  Find a body ground and then lut the red prob to the center of the outlet?

What goes bad the outlet or the plug in lighter?

Thanks!

Wade

1972 Mach 1 351 cj 4speed

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it."--Thomas Jefferson

Yes, that's the right way to test it. I like to tape the sides of the probe so I don't cause a short. The lighter element is most likely to go bad. Some lighter sockets have a screw-on fuse on the end, where the wire connects to.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Yes, that's the right way to test it. I like to tape the sides of the probe so I don't cause a short. The lighter element is most likely to go bad. Some lighter sockets have a screw-on fuse on the end, where the wire connects to.

It is continuous voltage right?  How many volts should it read?

Also, There was a dime stuck down in the bottom of my outlet.  Is that some kind of bubba fix???

Thanks!

Wade

"We confide in our strength, without boasting of it; we respect that of others, without fearing it."--Thomas Jefferson

12V at the cigarette lighter.

I test it my pushing in the element, pulling it out, and feeling if it is hot or not...

I dont have the element.  I will have to buy a new one. or just get a USB plugin for it.

Thanks!

Wade

And all this time I thought using my wet finger was the proper way to test it!

Ya learn something new all the time. :poke:

The dime is not a fix, it likely caused a short, blowing a fuse or burning up a wire. And yes, on our cars it has voltage all the time, whether the key is off or on.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

I know, right?  I used to hate when all those 'car guys' would berate me for that... tellin' me I'm doing it wrong.  Whatever.

:whistling:

lollerz

Eric

mach1sig2.gif

12V at the cigarette lighter.

I test it my pushing in the element, pulling it out, and feeling if it is hot or not...

Then you drop your roach on it :chin: :whistling:

My kids call this the USB thingy... why on earth would you need to light a cig in a car? its made to charge a phone!

and then I feel old :)

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

I tried that once... I don't recommend it!  :-/

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

A tongue works just as well!

What!...You mean the wet finger or tongue is not how it's tested! And whats this talk of some sort of meter with probe things?! :whistling:

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

lol good comments all!  lollerz   For an update I do have voltage to the USB thingy...... :D

Thanks!

Wade