Looking for new leaf springs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RadRacer203

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible with a 302 and AOD
So it turns out hauling 15 outboard motors in a '71 convertible isn't great for the suspension (who would have guessed?) and my leaf springs are flattened now... I'm definitely replacing them asap but looking for recommendations. I'd like a heavier duty spring in case I haul stuff around again (and thinking of adding a trailer hitch for a small trailer) but I'd also like to lift it up some for that 70's street racer style rake. Any suggestions? I found springs for one or the other, but not both.

So it turns out hauling 15 outboard motors in a '71 convertible isn't great for the suspension (who would have guessed?) and my leaf springs are flattened now... I'm definitely replacing them asap but looking for recommendations. I'd like a heavier duty spring in case I haul stuff around again (and thinking of adding a trailer hitch for a small trailer) but I'd also like to lift it up some for that 70's street racer style rake. Any suggestions? I found springs for one or the other, but not both.
 A "trailer hitch"!!!! On a Mustang!!!!

Okay, your car, your way.

I bought a set of 4.5 leaf springs from Mustangs Plus last year. They are quite a bit stiffer, but not as bad as 5 leaf would be. Initially, they will be quite a bit higher too and I installed 1" lowering blocks until they settle as I don't want that 70's look. You can buy longer rear shackles if you want.

Check them out.

Geoff.

Geoff, I forgot you can get lift shackles. Then I can go with the 5 leaf springs and those shackles and get exactly what I wanted. Thanks! And they put trailer hitches on these cars back in the day, why not now? I got an NOS one for a '67 that looks like it'll fit

Geoff, I forgot you can get lift shackles. Then I can go with the 5 leaf springs and those shackles and get exactly what I wanted. Thanks! And they put trailer hitches on these cars back in the day, why not now? I got an NOS one for a '67 that looks like it'll fit
  I think you'll find 5 leaf a bit too stiff for normal driving, but again depends on your needs I guess. 4 1/2 leaf worked great for my Mach 1, improved the cornering, stopped the spring wrapping up and still a comfortable ride......... for a Mustang. Also, forgot to mention I went with standard eye, you can get them with reversed eye, so check out your needs. Mustangs Plus ship free as well. Had a great experience with them.

I used 429 springs in my 71 Mach. Plenty firm for good ride. Got them from Mustangs Unlimited. local to me so I just picked them up.

70's rake and trailer hitch - not my bag, but, as Stanglover noted, your car, your way.

You could get your leaf springs rebuilt, that's what I did plus 1" longer stainless steel shackles  in combination with Monroe Air Shocks. That raised the rear up quite a bit without having to pump up the shocks too much, I LOVE that raked look! LOL

Many years ago (1976) I had those old Gabriel Hi-Jacker Air Shocks and when I needed to haul a full trunk load of solid bricks, I just pumped them up to the max and loaded up the trunk. My convertitble Mustang rode like a Caddy all the way home with all that weight in the back. Going with air shocks if you haul and want to adjust the ride height may be an easy and inexpensive solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
I decided to go with the stock 4 leaf springs and a set of air shocks and lift shackles when I find them for cheap. I think I'll post a wanted ad for some cheap used parts. I also found a really cheap complete suspension from a '68 close by and I was wondering if the springs would fit.

Air shocks are a bad idea. The shock mounting points were never designed to carry weight, just to mount shocks. What happens when you use them is they tear out the upper mounts or at least distort them pretty heavily.

5 leaf springs are stiff, I run them, but they aren't unpleasant.

as to a trailer hitch . . .properly mounted you can get away with a light tongue weight trailer that isn't too heavy. I wouldn't tow over about 750 pounds though as the unit body construction and the relatively light weight rear frame rails can be distorted pretty easily. Also the brakes are marginal for the extra weight

If you are going to tow, proper welded in subframe connectors are a good idea. If you are not going to tow, they are also a good idea

https://ibb.co/kG06c7

20180328_170323.jpg

The pics compare new and old springs and leafs.  The old leafs/springs are from my 71 Mach 1.  They had about 98k miles and were on the car until 2018.  The new leafs are 4.5 leaf standard eye.  The springs are the "1" lower Grab a Trak" variety.  I haven't installed them yet, so can't comment on the stance they'll provide.  FYI

https://ibb.co/kG06c7

20180328_170323.jpg

The pics compare new and old springs and leafs.  The old leafs/springs are from my 71 Mach 1.  They had about 98k miles and were on the car until 2018.  The new leafs are 4.5 leaf standard eye.  The springs are the "1" lower Grab a Trak" variety.  I haven't installed them yet, so can't comment on the stance they'll provide.  FYI
 You may have read my post before on front and rear springs on my 71 Mach. For me when I redid the front end, I didn't want to lower it, just keep it stock and ended up reinstalling the original springs that were not sagged and still to spec height wise. As for the rears, I too went with 4.5 leaf standard eye and they did look like yours in the picture. After they were in, the car sat a full 1 1/2" higher, Being impatient and not wanting to wait for them to settle, I opted to install a set of 1" lowering blocks. They have been in nearly 1 year and so far the springs have not settled much at all, maybe 1/4". I plan on removing the block if and when it drops another inch. I hate that jacked-up look! TIP, I reused my shackles as well. The ones that you got with the springs look too thin and flimsy.

Those are the same ones I got from Mustangs Plus in CA. They were not marketed as such, but had SD stickers on them and the mounting hardware.

I'll add that the ride is comfortable, a lot less bouncing, no spring wrap up that I've noticed, so in that respect, I'm also very happy.

Geoff.
Ok, I'll definitely be ordering those springs. Those should be perfect for me

I wish I had some old original pictures of my 73 Mach 1 when new. They sat with the rear squatted down when brand new. One of the first things I did was to put helper springs around the shocks to shift some weight to the front for autocross events. Handled much better. I think the big damage to the shock mounts is due to them being rusted to half their original thickness. Lots of friends pulled their ski boats with their mustangs when new. They all used air shocks to pick up the back. I took hitch off the 72 Mach 1 T-5 Q code I have and there was one on the 72 crashed vert also. He pulled boat from day it was new until crashed and no damage. 

I use to pull a trailer with my 85 SVO when me and son kart raced and I also hauled riding mowers two at a time when I worked at the lawn equipment plant. If you go to Africa you will see a hitch on nearly every car and they are all the little cars not SUV. They pull small trailer when going on trips to put the luggage in since the car will not hold it. All the hotels have hitching posts to lock your trailer up to it is such a common thing. I use to pull a car trailer with my Mach 1 on it with a 69 six cylinder Ford van. Pulled camper with it also. A trailer is not going to kill your Mustang.

I am building one of the Mustang back end trailers to take to shows using back of a 72 vert. Will do a thread on the build.

Does anyone have a hitch for a 73? The two I have are for 72 and the bumper is in a different place. Also my custom exhaust gets in the way will probably have to make one from scratch.

David

I'm the owner of the Mach 1 towing the blown drag Hydro over the "grapevine" as pictured. Yes boys, you can tow with your Mustang and I have been doing so since I bought the car in 1990. I replaced EVERYTHING , front and rear, on the suspension, when I first got it. Out back, the rear springs are 5 leaf, and I have Traction Master traction bars ( which stiffen the front half of the leaf spring package even more. heavy duty Gas-a-Just shocks are used, and the shackles are ( new) stock length. No need to lower these cars as the roof is already way below my outstretched arm when standing next to it. Stock, my '71 is lower than my friend's lowered '69, as a matter of fact.

The trailer hitch was left on when the car was used for the movie "Bounty Killer". The suspension was perfect for all the high speed, and spin-out work done in the movie. ( Note level body in full sideways broad-slide ). Car has 1 1/8" bar front, 7/8" bar on rear. Looks-wise, I keep the hitch nicely detailed and replace the ball with a new shiny chrome one when it shows signs of use, so it's never an eyesore.

Woodrow Wilson poems

Those are the same ones I got from Mustangs Plus in CA. They were not marketed as such, but had SD stickers on them and the mounting hardware.

I'll add that the ride is comfortable, a lot less bouncing, no spring wrap up that I've noticed, so in that respect, I'm also very happy.

Geoff.
Ok, I'll definitely be ordering those springs. Those should be perfect for me
i had the scott drake 5 leaf standard eye hated the look pulled them out and got the 5 leaf reverse eye much better look in my opinion i did not like the high end look ,my car is a vert

i sold them to a guy that had a fast back , he added 1"lowering blocks to the springs

If someone is hauling 15 outboard engines in a Mustang, they have larger issues than what springs to use. Just my opinion. Chuck

Back