SMS auto fabrics updated

SMS is the only vendor that sell the correct white comfort weave that matches the bucket seats on my 1973 convertible.  The TMI   comfort weave seat covers are not even close to matching the original. SMS want 179.00 a yard for the white comfort weave. Does any one know of any other vendor that might sell the white comfort weave by the yard? I want to have my front seats done but this is looking like a budget buster.

Thanks

John

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric. There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

I checked into the 73 Medium Blue comfort weave a few years back and I'm recalling it was back then even more $$ that your white / grey currently.

I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric.   There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

I checked into the 73 Medium Blue comfort weave a few years back and I'm recalling it was back then even more $$ that your white / grey currently.

Thanks Bill thats what I was afraid of.

John J

I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric.   There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

Thanks Bill thats what I was afraid of.

John J

I still need to sort out my white interior as well. I got a quote from SMS last year. Can’t remember exactly how much , but it looks like the price has gone up a bit!

Does anybody know how many yards of comfort weave are used for the front seats and back?

My measurements for just the comfortweave inserts rounded up to allow for tuck, seams, pattern match, and etc...

Each front seat 60" x 16"

Backseat each side: 48" x 16"

I would check with SMS. I am sure they know what is needed.

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!

I still need to sort out my white interior as well. I got a quote from SMS last year. Can’t remember exactly how much ,  but it looks like the price has gone up a bit!

Does anybody know how many yards of comfort weave are used  for the front seats and back?

SMS told me over the phone that it would take 2 yards of white vinyl and 2 1/2 yard of comfort weave to  the front bucket seats. I did not ask about the back seat because of the cost and mine is in good shape.

John J

SMS did not buy the material they bought the machines that makes the material. They make it new not old stock.

You will not find another supplier for the material that is correct. It is like a computer program for the color of threads and how many.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

The original Comfortweave is well worth the cost. The stamped vinyl looks the part - sort of. It is nowhere near as "comfortable" as the original, which actually did breathe. Helps on the warm summer days.

The Comfortweave fabric really does work, as much as can be expected. It does breathe a bit, and I have had my black interior non-AC '71 Mach 1 out on 90 degree days. Way back I had a '68 GTO with the black Morrokide vinyl interior, and those seats were burning hot in summer. Ended up putting nice sheepskin seat covers on them in summer (this was in '80).

I also purchased my black comfortweave through SMS back in 2013.  To add to the others validation so far, this is the closest you will get to OE in the market today.  I purchased 2 1/2 yards of the comfortweave and 1 yard of the grey banding that goes along side of the comfortweave.  I sent this to TMI to have it sewn into their seat cover pattern.  A very important thing to keep in mind is to use the seat cover and foam from the same manufacturer.  Seat covers are sewn to properly fit the foam. If you use different manufacturers you may get over stuffed seats or under filled with a lot of wrinkles and puckering.  I had TMI use their own black vinyl for the remainder of the seat so it would match the door panels they produce, but that I have still not purchased.

P1010472.jpg

P1010457.jpg

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Another option, if you don't need to replace all your seat material, would be to find enough original material from donor cars. The rear seats and 3/4 of the upper section of my front seats on my 73 convertible were still in very good shape. I only needed the front seat bottoms and lower part of the seat back replaced along with the worn vinyl.  I took the entire back seat material out of two convertibles (72 or 73 verts used the same comfort weave material) and had the comfort weave with some NOS original looking vinyl (that I bought 15 years ago from Kevin - kevken1959 along with a very nice pair of original deluxe door panels) and had it sewn into my original front seats with new seat foam.  In my case, this was a better option than replacing everything and was able to preserve the OEM comfort weave.

You can see the rear seat vinyl next to the door panel below...

20141231_161108a.jpg

You can see the rear seat comfortweave in the middle below...

20160914_095505_1.jpg

The end result after the upholtery shop worked their magic ....

20161104_215837.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

I have 6 mustangs with the comfort weave material. It is amazing how crooked the factory seat covers are sewn. 3 ginger, two white and one blue. I should take some pictures. You would have to work at it to sew it that crooked, lol.

I do have in my parts pile a couple of Mach 1 seats with the fake comfort weave material. If anyone has that cover and can use I would pay it forward to you. It was the first repo for our interiors and is solid vinyl with a texture as stated in this post. The covers are Ginger.

David

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

20161104_215837.jpg

I can visualize you sitting in the drivers seat with the loose steering wheel in you hands going zoom, zoom, zoom! Now fess-up.  :D

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

20161104_215837.jpg

I can visualize you sitting in the drivers seat with the loose steering wheel in you hands going zoom, zoom, zoom! Now fess-up.  :D

How did you guess? I even set the dashboard up on two saw horses in front of me rofl

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered the comfort weave and the white vinyl SMS. They told me  2 weeks ship time which make since because they are in Oregon. I will take a few photos once I receive the fabric.

John J

• 1 month later...

I got the white comfort weave today. It took forever  to get here from Oregon. I ordered it on 3/29. They told me 2 weeks when I ordered it and it took 6 weeks. The fabric look great. I have the CW interior and I can"t wait to see what the seats are going to look like when there done.

John J

IMG_0260.thumb.JPG.0f2edb55610064f902fc139cbf7c4807.JPG

IMG_0261.thumb.JPG.be332799bde1871601e1237450ac692e.JPG

IMG_0262.thumb.JPG.23661ec7f2a8c89a44bd0c676517e9e9.JPG

That does look good. Who is going to make the covers for you?

BKDunha

72 Mach 1 H-Code (Concourse driven restoration)

67 S-Code Factory GT with 4-Spd

68 Mercury Cyclone (Pro-Street project)

Wow - That looks so good!

If anyone has any used but decent black comfortweave pieces - I need a small amount to patch a front seat. A little black vinyl from seat base, too! Just patching for now.

Ray

1971 Boss 351  

1972 Q code 4 speed convertible 

1971 Mustang Sportsroof  351-2V FMX 

1971 Hardtop (parts car)

1973 Mach 1 (parts car)

• 5 months later...

Hello all, Newly registered to the site and appreciate the wealth of information here. My son and I have been working on “refreshing”  our 73 convertible that has been in the family for over 40 years. We are working on the interior and seats. They are all in pretty good shape except the driver’s seat bottom. It is blue comfortweave (interior code CB) I have been in contact with SMS and at first they indicated that they had the exact match in stock but when I requested the samples they indicated that they no longer had any of the blue (SMS #72-2212) I have checked with several other upholstery/fabric companies and so far no luck. Does anyone know of any possible stashes of the blue comfortweave? Since we only need enough for one seat bottom we may be able to get by with a remnant. Any help much appreciated.

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

Did you ask SMS when their next run would be? They do have the looms to produce the comfort weave material in any color. Like you say you might get some used material from another seat also. I got an almost perfect set of front and rear Ginger CW off ebay for $120. He took original out and put in repo for what reason I have no idea.

David

Hello all, Newly registered to the site and appreciate the wealth of information here. My son and I have been working on “refreshing”  our 73 convertible that has been in the family for over 40 years. We are working on the interior and seats. They are all in pretty good shape except the driver’s seat bottom. It is blue comfortweave (interior code CB) I have been in contact with SMS and at first they indicated that they had the exact match in stock but when I requested the samples they indicated that they no longer had any of the blue (SMS #72-2212) I have checked with several other upholstery/fabric companies and so far no luck. Does anyone know of any possible stashes of the blue comfortweave? Since we only need enough for one seat bottom we may be able to get by with a remnant. Any help much appreciated.

Years ago before SMS offered a close comfortweave material match, I would take the rear seat material out of other 72 and 73 verts and have it reupholstered into the front seat bottom and lower seat back following the original pleated sections. The back seats are hardly used and therefore the material is usually in very good condition.

Also, I believe coupes with deluxe interior came with comfortweave as well.

Just another possible route.

I don't have a good picture of the seat before I restored them, but the seat bottoms and lower seat back section were shot (stained, faded, ripped) and needed to be replaced along with much of the vinyl around the sides. I used material from a rear seat back to replace the bad sections.

20161104-215915.jpg

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

Did you ask SMS when their next run would be? They do have the looms to produce the comfort weave material in any color. Like you say you might get some used material from another seat also. I got an almost perfect set of front and rear Ginger CW off ebay for $120. He took original out and put in repo for what reason I have no idea.

I'm a little confused, from reading information on the comfortweave fabric my understanding was that the machine to make it was destroyed in Japan so there would not be any further production of it. Does SMS have a machine to produce new comfortweave ?? When I talked to them they didn't indicate that there was any possibility of getting more, that would be great if that is true.  Yes, strange that you would remove the original if still good...

1973 Mustang convertible, F code w/ C4, stock survivor with refresh in progress. Blue glow w/ Blue Comfortweave interior.

Years ago before SMS offered a close comfortweave material match, I would take the rear seat material out of other 72 and 73 verts and have it reupholstered into the front seat bottom and lower seat back following the original pleated sections. The back seats are hardly used and therefore the material is usually in very good condition.

Also, I believe coupes with deluxe interior came with comfortweave as well.

Just another possible route.

I don't have a good picture of the seat before I restored them, but the seat bottoms and lower seat back section were shot (stained, faded, ripped) and needed to be replaced along with much of the vinyl around the sides. I used material from a rear seat back to replace the bad sections.

20161104-215915.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion! That is definitely another option we can look into if we can't find any other fabric