SMS auto fabrics updated

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
SMS is the only vendor that sell the correct white comfort weave that matches the bucket seats on my 1973 convertible.  The TMI   comfort weave seat covers are not even close to matching the original. SMS want 179.00 a yard for the white comfort weave. Does any one know of any other vendor that might sell the white comfort weave by the yard? I want to have my front seats done but this is looking like a budget buster.

Thanks

John

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric. There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

I checked into the 73 Medium Blue comfort weave a few years back and I'm recalling it was back then even more $$ that your white / grey currently.

I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric.   There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

I checked into the 73 Medium Blue comfort weave a few years back and I'm recalling it was back then even more $$ that your white / grey currently.
Thanks Bill thats what I was afraid of.

John J

I'm pretty sure SMS is the only outfit left with original fabric.   There is not enough demand for reproducing the comfort weave so unless you accept the stamped vinyl repro, that's it.

Thanks Bill thats what I was afraid of.

John J

I still need to sort out my white interior as well. I got a quote from SMS last year. Can’t remember exactly how much , but it looks like the price has gone up a bit!

Does anybody know how many yards of comfort weave are used for the front seats and back?

My measurements for just the comfortweave inserts rounded up to allow for tuck, seams, pattern match, and etc...

Each front seat 60" x 16"

Backseat each side: 48" x 16"

I would check with SMS. I am sure they know what is needed.

I still need to sort out my white interior as well. I got a quote from SMS last year. Can’t remember exactly how much ,  but it looks like the price has gone up a bit!

Does anybody know how many yards of comfort weave are used  for the front seats and back?
SMS told me over the phone that it would take 2 yards of white vinyl and 2 1/2 yard of comfort weave to  the front bucket seats. I did not ask about the back seat because of the cost and mine is in good shape.

John J

The original Comfortweave is well worth the cost. The stamped vinyl looks the part - sort of. It is nowhere near as "comfortable" as the original, which actually did breathe. Helps on the warm summer days.

The Comfortweave fabric really does work, as much as can be expected. It does breathe a bit, and I have had my black interior non-AC '71 Mach 1 out on 90 degree days. Way back I had a '68 GTO with the black Morrokide vinyl interior, and those seats were burning hot in summer. Ended up putting nice sheepskin seat covers on them in summer (this was in '80).

I also purchased my black comfortweave through SMS back in 2013.  To add to the others validation so far, this is the closest you will get to OE in the market today.  I purchased 2 1/2 yards of the comfortweave and 1 yard of the grey banding that goes along side of the comfortweave.  I sent this to TMI to have it sewn into their seat cover pattern.  A very important thing to keep in mind is to use the seat cover and foam from the same manufacturer.  Seat covers are sewn to properly fit the foam. If you use different manufacturers you may get over stuffed seats or under filled with a lot of wrinkles and puckering.  I had TMI use their own black vinyl for the remainder of the seat so it would match the door panels they produce, but that I have still not purchased.

Another option, if you don't need to replace all your seat material, would be to find enough original material from donor cars. The rear seats and 3/4 of the upper section of my front seats on my 73 convertible were still in very good shape. I only needed the front seat bottoms and lower part of the seat back replaced along with the worn vinyl.  I took the entire back seat material out of two convertibles (72 or 73 verts used the same comfort weave material) and had the comfort weave with some NOS original looking vinyl (that I bought 15 years ago from Kevin - kevken1959 along with a very nice pair of original deluxe door panels) and had it sewn into my original front seats with new seat foam.  In my case, this was a better option than replacing everything and was able to preserve the OEM comfort weave.

You can see the rear seat vinyl next to the door panel below...

You can see the rear seat comfortweave in the middle below...

The end result after the upholtery shop worked their magic ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 6 mustangs with the comfort weave material. It is amazing how crooked the factory seat covers are sewn. 3 ginger, two white and one blue. I should take some pictures. You would have to work at it to sew it that crooked, lol.

I do have in my parts pile a couple of Mach 1 seats with the fake comfort weave material. If anyone has that cover and can use I would pay it forward to you. It was the first repo for our interiors and is solid vinyl with a texture as stated in this post. The covers are Ginger.

David

I can visualize you sitting in the drivers seat with the loose steering wheel in you hands going zoom, zoom, zoom! Now fess-up.  :D

I can visualize you sitting in the drivers seat with the loose steering wheel in you hands going zoom, zoom, zoom! Now fess-up.  :D
How did you guess? I even set the dashboard up on two saw horses in front of me rofl

I ordered the comfort weave and the white vinyl SMS. They told me  2 weeks ship time which make since because they are in Oregon. I will take a few photos once I receive the fabric.

John J

I got the white comfort weave today. It took forever  to get here from Oregon. I ordered it on 3/29. They told me 2 weeks when I ordered it and it took 6 weeks. The fabric look great. I have the CW interior and I can"t wait to see what the seats are going to look like when there done.

John J

IMG_0260.JPG

IMG_0261.JPG

IMG_0262.JPG

Back