@#$$#@$@ Edelbrock Carb issue

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rugbyguytx

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 Q Code Stang.
So about a year and a half ago I bought a Edelbrock Thunder AVS 650 CFM carb (after I called edelbrock to confirm) to replace the original after a carb job by a 'pro' basically rendered the old carb useless.  Two girls later I finally have some 'dad' time to get the carb on the car, get some spark cables and distributor cap replaced and replace the fuel system from tank to carb.  I fire it up and it starts running. Start working with the curb idle etc and take it out for a spin.. nothing when I stand on it.. in fact it backfires... 

I bring it back.. look at everything and finally figure out the @#$%@#$ secondaries are binding.. I cant get the secondaries to swing open past the intake manifold.. looks like they wont fit.. Has anyone been able to get the edelbrock to work?  I bought the 1805 based on the phone call to Edelbrock.....

:mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to hear of the problems.  Is the drag due to the linkage on the carb or due to the throttle plates dragging on the intake bore?  Are you running a spread bore intake or a straight bore?

If the throttle plates are hitting the intake I know there is a spacer sold that can help with that.  It has a slight taper to the holes to allow the throttle plates to clear.  I think there is also a thick gasket that can do the same thing.

I have only used Autolite or Holley, so I don't have any experience with the Edelbrock.

kcmash

No experience with Edelbrock carbs either, but yes the problem is you need a spacer. In that regard I do have some experience. Not knowing what engine and year, I'm assuming it's a Cleveland. These intakes have a heat cross-over passage from the exhaust to the carb base which was fine for the original Autolite carb, but not so for any aftermarket. I chose to remove the intake and block off those passages, but a quick fix is to thread and insert 5/16" set-screws in the holes at the corners of the passage, but use grease on your tap so 'junk' doesn't get into the engine. See pics. Fel-Pro make a gasket with a metal insert between the two layers of paper. At the very least, you'll need one of these first, then I'd add an insulated spacer at least a 1/4" thick, thicker the better to isolate the heat from the carb, stopping fuel vaporization. This will take care of the throttle plates not opening as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back