2 hours ago, 7173Vert said:

Floating caliper secured to the main hub with this bracket. I just completed this brake job on my 73 Coupe. Ford refers to it as a "stabilizer" in the Master parts catalogue.

73 Light Gold Coupe101.jpg

Ah, Ken, now I now what we are talking about. Yes, THE stabilizer part. I had them on and I will put on new ones, I already have them in my new parts boxes togehter with all the other brake stuff. Will do all new but the spindles and the splash shields - they will be reworked :thumb: 

Thanks for clearify! 

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony:

• Replies 556
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

@bishoppeak thx man Today was an exhausting day again. Spent like yesterday the entire day crawling under car, on the floor, and up, and down and up...   Played with acid and finis

Been very busy on many fronts lately and realised I did not post an update for a while now. So here's a glimpse of what i've been doing...   On the mustangs side of things, it's been heav

Not 71 related, but too happy to keep it for me! :)   The 73 has its new jacket on! Yeeehaaah! It took only decades to get to this point :) Hard to catch the 2 green metallic as they are in real u

Posted Images

1 hour ago, timachone said:

now I now what we are talking about. Yes, THE stabilizer part.

yeah, but do you have these "gaskets" on the spindles too? I did not see these on the 73 and I wouldn't know how to name them to eventually find a pair...

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

1 hour ago, Fabrice said:

yeah, but do you have these "gaskets" on the spindles too? I did not see these on the 73 and I wouldn't know how to name them to eventually find a pair...

No, I have and had not these gaskets on the spindles nor did I hear about them until now...

Tim

9 hours ago, Fabrice said:

I've search for these and I did not see that "gasket" anywhere.
I have the plates in house as shown on your pict (as part of a 71 rebuild kit) they were NOT on my 71, only that gasket thingy. The 4 small bolts holes are also not present on the original 71 parts for that plate. I renewed my brakes on my 73, 2 months ago, and there is indeed that plate but no "gasket".

F4A23F79-07E4-4296-813A-763AF8CBD0DC.jpeg

"Yes dear", has kept me in the hobby a long time...

Looks like lots of great work going on over the pond. I am going to head down to shop and do a little today. Looks like the show will still happen in Tennessee but the first big swap meet and show that is always the first week of April in Charlotte is cancelled. Second year for that. North Carolina has not lifted the ban on gatherings yet. I did get my Covid shot. The April show at the Mustang Owner's Museum in mid April will probably have to be cancelled also due to state requirements.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

If you noticed there was no primer under the sealer or what you are calling bitumes that is the reason it rusts. The sealer gets hard shrinks and cracks then lets the water into the bare steel and rust. That happens in the cowl, doors and quarters along with torque boxes and other areas. That is why I do not wash car with running water because I know the cracks are there and you feed the rust.

Have you ever made an anode to fit the form of the parts you are plating? I will plate much faster and more even. Get lead sheet at your local plumbing supply. You need something on your part to create about a 1/2" or 12.5mm gap. Form the lead around it then remove carefully. Then when you apply the current you have more equal spacing to your part and get much better plating. I use to work at a hardware company we had to plating lines. The real good custom plating shops always do that. They get much better plating finish.
Your cars will last 100 years the way you are doing them.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

44 minutes ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Your cars will last 100 years the way you are doing them.

I need to! Kuz it takes me 99 years to build them :) 

I do use local anodes. sometimes I even start plate with these only to make sure they deposit more. But some metals simply do not plate easy using low acidic bath (the price of not using dangerous more effective chemicals). To give you an example. did my calipers. cast iron. They were with first local anodes then wider anodes around them. perfect, real thick deposit in just 1/2 hour, went from rough to the touch to silk smooth. This weekend also did the calipers brackets, also rough surface. Some corners and the part as a whole did not take as it usually do, you clearly see something that looks like magnetic fields, and it took ages to cover them, had to move anodes many times. That part is relatively small, smaller than the calipers and of a similar cast iron (you'd think) . Then tried one spindle, it was covered in no time despite its complex shape. So there are diffs in metals that greatly do affect the way the plating occurs. On plating sites, some pros recommend to flash acid them first as cast iron parts can have different levels of carbon, which creates some hydrogen gas that some how protects the surface from the zinc. Lots to learn in this field for sure.

For the top arm, the problem is my too little power, it was at its max and could have used some extra juice, but got it covered as I wanted it, it just took ages. These do not need to be nice, they need be protected against corrosion. When you saw how they were, you know they've earned a better second life ;)
thx for the lead sheet tip, gonna go search on that method. Lead would introduce toxicity (trying to keep the game safe), but may be the same principle could be applied by very thin sheet of another metal as its about conductivity and resistance. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Finally found some time for a little update!

Been busy on the house and will remain busy with it for a while, but every weekend I try to get some things done on the 71. Here a few picts of the activities...

konis.thumb.jpg.26717eedf9edc081f84eec101b18b963.jpg

Old monkey as I am, I couldn't let these "new" Koni's shocks go. I've helped install them! Car ran at most 300 miles with them before engine broke and for more than 20 years their body rusted quietly waiting for some action on the car with the nose up and no engine. So gave them both some love and they are on my growing to be painted pile. May they'd need be changed, I'll change them, but having placed same ones on my 73 at the same time, I'm pretty sure they'll do just fine. Worth the small effort :D

coilsprings.thumb.jpg.a7c8d5e9d312b8154972609906e31ce7.jpg

Similar story for the coil springs. These will prolly receive a powder coating jacket.

wheelside.thumb.jpg.1fe548832b2a744eb91b5411f9338961.jpg

Also finished de-rusting and removing all paint from the driver side wheel passage. Here while the temp zinc primer is drying..  I should be busy welding there (holes connecting to cabine from a prior massacre ) in a not too far future. 

spindles.thumb.jpg.aabe1d65c167098a656da560484e76e7.jpg

Restored also other parts and hardware like the springs saddles nuts, because I've bought new ones, they came with the bolts but no nuts!! And these are non metric.
And did the two spindles as well. Very challenging parts to plate, but patience got me there. 
They now look much better than on the top left, same for the 2 calliper brackets :D
They've all joined the to be painted corner not before receiving some grease on the shaft and in every holes with threads..

The weekend was over and realised that when I'll have done the strutrods and finished derust the front member that there is nothing left to derust or restore from the windshield to the grille. :O

To be continued...

Edited by Fabrice
  • Like 2

You do know, right, that Koni has a lifetime guarantee on their shocks.  You could have sent them in and have them refurbish/paint or replace them. 

Let me check your shorts!

http://midlifeharness.com

cactus.jpg.92e5d9d8700abc0ed60c8ccb3426248e.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Well done, as you always do.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bishoppeak said:

You are my hero!

naah, real heros can fly or spit liquid web AND they have gorgeous cars that do not leak like mine! :D

58 minutes ago, Don C said:

Well done, as you always do.

Thx Don, but I cheat, I get help from guys like you on this site ;)

Edited by Fabrice

Fabrice, 

nice to see and hear from you again! Looks got. Have in mind that the front pump on my C6 1 1/2 years ago for the truck was a lot easier to pull out than on yours... 

I am in the same boat theme-wise on the Mustang at the moment, cleaning, derusting, painting etc. the whole old suspension, steering, braking and rear axle components so I am feeling with you. Will do a follow-up soon, too but... I am too busy! 

Hold on, like to hear from you every time it shows up :thumb:

Tim

9 hours ago, midlife said:

Oh, you mean the levees?

ahaha, yeah its boring flat. My house is 8 meters above sea level, so at the rate global warming is evolving, in a decade or two, my house should be on the beach :D 

1 hour ago, timachone said:

Have in mind that the front pump on my C6 1 1/2 years ago for the truck was a lot easier to pull out than on yours..

Same when I did my C6, I needed pull a tad and it came out, even after decades sitting there. Its connected in straight short line to the gear of the first drum behind it, so only the o-ring offers some resistance, but this AOD is a totally different beast, it's a huge long hamburger, the pump has 3 axles going thru. Knowing what I know now, it should be easier to work on it vertically vs laying.

One thing is certain, if you have pump issues on an AOD, it would be a very bad idea to try to open/fix with the trans in the car.

"Will do a follow-up soon, too but... I am too busy! "
Same here, very busy with work atm and when comes evening, I just can't bring the energy to dive in picts and write something, hence why I've not been updating my thread as I used to lately.
Dang, I'm getting older!! :O

• Fist Bump 1

You are doing one hell of a job on your restoration. I hope that in the future whoever ends up with your car realizes and  appreciates the work and effort you put into it.  

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

11 minutes ago, Kilgon said:

You are doing one hell of a job on your restoration. I hope that in the future whoever ends up with your car realizes and  appreciates the work and effort you put into it. 

thx Kilgon, but ain't we all do the same? Most of us here are not afraid to have dirty hands!
If it ever becomes caviar for the pigs at some point, so be it. Tho, my oldest daughter seams to be interested. She have no clue about the details except she knows it takes a while to get one of these on the road :O
Till then pleasure is all mine and enjoying what I do in my little garage to the max :)

Very productive afternoon today.

The AOD is now totally dismantled and great news is that its in super condition. It also has all the goodies one can hope for a reliable operation behind a healthy V8. From the servo that was discontinued in 89, it's a OD type B, has the extra oil circuit on the governor and 4 or 5 frictions plates, so won't need to let some parts machined as I did on my C6.

The friction plates are as if it drove only a few thousands, or the driver was really gentle. No dmg or wear noticed anywhere. In fact I could have placed that trans without doing a thing and likely be happy with it for many years without any problems. Something you know only once its open...
Pity they don't have some kind of visual level of wear like batts have :D

Oh well, at least I know what I will have and will never worry about the trans if I take the road for a long trip!

Here some picts of the internals and the nice puzzle that they make.
Also worked further the casing, now totally oxide free and because I'm ahead of where i thought I'd be, I might after a final clean and masking very well paint that baby tomorrow if ofc weather permits it.

IMG_1306.thumb.jpg.f12865c042259a772ea4f57649f36d20.jpgIMG_1305.thumb.jpg.5d38057b1de1a42ad5266154c1f0faa5.jpgIMG_1308.thumb.jpg.c6e3896f702105d8e263c09f52c53fce.jpgIMG_1286.thumb.jpg.4b533522f5cdff92c168e4c28f3b1501.jpg

a little reminder of its past state

IMG_1231.thumb.jpg.dc9eaee6f4c88fd57782bec16a4937d3.jpg

and now

IMG_1296.thumb.jpeg.b8007d52a4135ee358377e34b91ba3a5.jpegIMG_1298.thumb.jpg.7419553c19dc3a185019dd33dff1c05b.jpgIMG_1311.thumb.jpeg.ea6f50d4e256352b8d7aeb9016229c27.jpegIMG_1312.thumb.jpg.5f5162f584978eaee4fba478d603a8d2.jpg

Glad I even had the time to post something on time for once :D

Now back at ordering parts and find the right converter, yoke etc...

IMG_1291.jpg

IMG_1285.jpg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Weekend!! YEAH!

I could work on the 73! Nope it rains!
Ok will go measure the FMX to calculate shaft length and pick the right yoke: nope rains even harder now!
Ok, will go further on the AOD: nope kuz the parts are not there yet
Ok, gonna paint the casing... nope kuz it $%^&* raaaaaainnnnnnnzzzzz!!!

Pffff, ok ok, I will do what I've postponned for weeks: Remove the paint of the entire lower engine bay & frame... derust. 
Basically all the stuff you see only when it's on a bridge that most sane people spray with the most thick stone protector they can find! 

Oh well, the rain was now so loud and sooo wet, Time to get on to it! :D

paint_removal1.thumb.jpg.cd7e41256420d13c950f866dd4b6ca3b.jpg

Using my new friend, Mr PaintRemover, a metal brush (getting bald bits more every weekend) I've started with the crossmember and the all the lower tower bits where the lower arm sits..
Two passes later all started to look quite better.

Totally surprised: found near zero rust on members and the little bits of light rust I've found were gone together with the paint on the second pass.
Probably because when that stuff dries out, it rolls under the metal brush action and gums everything with it.
Don't really care how and why, all I know is that it's less work! :D

paint_removal2.thumb.jpg.8e43902148b38d70a1cf23e94a79def3.jpg

On side is not enough so more crawling and crawling and crawling and brushing and brushing and crawling...
Till I finally got the other side free of its old paint. However on this side, there is some rust that did not go, nothing serious, not even pits, but this means I'll be playing with acid tomorrow to remove it.
Doing that above my head should be interresting :D

paint_removal3.thumb.jpg.b9df8d8be394a04d5efa9d747c7382c0.jpg

More surprising even the front member that was having bubbly thicky paint was too, totally rust free!
As you know: it rained and the dutch rain, even outside, always manages to turn bare metal into brown metal in matter of hours. So after a good degreasing/cleaning session as it was time to call it a day, I've applied on the all the top parts exposed a temp zinc primer.

At some point my brush gave up, telling me that stuff is the most friendly chemical! I could confirm that while busy metal brushing above head. the tiniest drup was burning the skin as a hot cig! :D Good I was protected as if i was going to the moon!

Tomorrow I''ll finish both rails underneath from front to torqueboxes, get rid of that rust and I might very well be able to start to think about applying epoxy to the entire bay in a not too far future! May be even start tomorrow!!

AOD_plating.thumb.jpg.2e61a172ddf1d51ee647d01bfea14cf6.jpg

Also did some plating this week so my AOD doesn't receive rusty things once all is restored in and out..

For now: I'm exhausted! If you seek a way to loose a few pounds, well, that's how to!! :D

To be continued...

EDIT: I had 2 orders at NPD, key parts to repair my leaking rear end on my brakes... and yesterday got a mail from them telling me one shipped and the other should this Monday.
That was the happy part of the mail. The second part was really sad. Infected by covid weeks ago and reason why my orders are late, most staff came back after 2 or 3 weeks, but 3 are now in critical condition in hospital and one died last week...

Edited by Fabrice

WOW, that car will be better than new when it's complete! Very nice work! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]