Fabrice's 429CJ 71 project

@bishoppeak 

thx man, you gotta sweat a bit extra but that's what the hobby is about me think!

@Sheriff41

More to come i'm afraid :D

@mach71351c

thx, if the details helps only one person, then it's all worth it!

@timachone

I couldn't let you have much nicer ones than mine any longer! I had to finally handle these too! :D

• LOL 1

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

1 minute ago, c9zx said:

I couldn't find a picture of a 1971 but this is a link to 1970.

Thank you Chuck, that's what I was looking for...
So what was on the car was ok...  Even if they were doing the job, they looked as if done by a 9 years old just like these.
I should manage then :D 

6 hours ago, Fabrice said:

Past weekend was dry, warm...
Sooooo: barbecue time!!

barbecueTime.thumb.jpg.7f3ac0c94eede87d5a4f72ac6a64877c.jpg

All the new parts that I've received over past months were either not coated, simply oiled or covered with some poor paint. 
None had of course the kind of finish I had in mind for them. So spend a good part of my saturday cleaning & degreasing them and mask/tape all the parts I could not remove, rubbers, threads etc..
Then just like the restored parts, they did receive a primer, their respective colors and a nice thick finish coat.

unwrap_the_babies.thumb.jpg.d0fd821c6706aa1c176c2b25c79d419b.jpg

Sunday was like xmas, lots to unwrap and it was even time to put some stuffs together, install nipples etc...

spindles_reassembly.thumb.jpg.7865b9500eddafee3e63afdca9064355.jpg

Reassembled the spindles done last weeks with ther hardware plated last year. 
Installed all back together after a good cleaning and copper greasing of each thread.
Was lots of work to get there, zinc plating them was not the easiest thing to do.
But now, boy do they not look like a million??! :D

spindles_before.thumb.jpg.4a57930db383f83471f491f407fc6426.jpg

Yes these are the same!! :D

I know btw I need some wires for their nuts, Anyone have some info on how it should be done the right way? Never done that before, but really would love to have them "twisted" the right secure way.
I will buy some SS wire for that asap.

top_arms.thumb.jpg.d2a5d650919c356a290800769c16270d.jpg

Then it was time to put the top arms together... 50 years old and looking goooood :D

passenger_side.thumb.jpg.a183dc0c896276e61d88d464fa441379.jpg

Then it was time to put all these babies together back into their original nest that is now making a nice contrast with its semi gloss black.

driver_side.thumb.jpg.84367492a531f894534eeda60a05f535.jpg

Nothing torqued to specs yet until all is on..

konis_happy.thumb.jpg.39c5e523be6d4638088f6e85848372eb.jpg

Also gave love to the koni's that were plated last year and gave them the car body color (no red), that will look nice into the light grey coils that were done last week...

All with all, it was nice to finally see all the work started last novembre come together! 
The other side fx is that I could get rid of many boxes and create some welcome space.

One regret is that the long part that connects both sides (rod assembly, the drag link I think is the name)
is still at a friend's place where it needs to go under press to correct the bow into it created at some point when someone jacked up the car with it...
No biggy tho, as once I will have the steering box revised, i will need to paint it as well, so will do both at the same time.

to be continued...

Really great work as usual. I like the contrast with the zinc plating.

Kilgon

"The only dumb question is the one not asked"

I uploaded a pic of the safety wire you're referring too. I hope it comes up and you can see it Fabrice. In my opinion I think it looks neat and professionally done.

164134485.webp

https://assets.mustangandfords.com/f/164134485.jpg?fit=around%7C480:270

Edited by rio1856

Just remember John Wick didn’t kill all those people for a random car. It was a Mustang

Fabrice is a very patient man. I say that because of all his great work, but also because he's giving me some help to learn about plating, cause I'm a quick learner but I need a long explanation ;)

• Like 1

Mustang, beer and rock'nroll

Posted (edited)

@bishoppeak
Thx, found same one in a NL online shop for same price, will order that baby. I need check first if it can handle 1mm wire tho.

@Kilgon

Thx, I'm pretty pleased too. Tho, I must say the colours these metallic greys have in real are extremely hard to be photographed. It's even a bit frustrating nobody will see that once the wheels are on :D

@rio1856

Oh that's nice!! I think I will play with different options once I'll have the twisting tool and wire in house.
It's totally overkill and not better than the original way for the purpose, but it surely looks much nicer! Thanks for posting this!

@Manu Mach1

You'll do much better than me in no time I'm sure! 

Edited by Fabrice

• 2 weeks later...

Just to stir you thoughts. Remember to cut you a piece of wood to put on top of the frame rail to keep the upper control arm from dropping all the way down when you lift the front of the car. If you do not will crush the upper rubber bushing on the shock. The full pressure of the spring crushes the rubber and will split it. Ford had a special tool but wood block works fine. I had one fall out the other day when cleaning my wheels and sure enough split new rubber on that side.
Your package will go out soon so look for a message when it leaves.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

1 hour ago, Carolina_Mountain_Mustangs said:

Just to stir you thoughts

Actually there is wood already on both sides. just removed them for the picts.  My concern is more to not damage the paint as I do not use rubber on the shocks. Polyurethane made this prob a thing of the past for me. 

Package: (David has located the necessary parts to rebuild our big bad brake boosters and I'm going to operate at least one very soon)
Thx in advance ;) I'll need your lights for the thingy you made to keep it in place.

• 2 weeks later...

That looks real good! 

[align=left]Jeff T.

When I die I want to die like grandpa, peacefully in my sleep... not screaming, like his passengers. [/align]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Man. That's a lot of good work. You have really mastered how to get those parts better looking than new. There is so much shine underneath your car that you may not want to drive it.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Wow, awesome and detailed work as always, Fabrice. Enjoyed reading by breakfast.... :thumb:

Tim

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly :runninpony: