351 Cleveland Cobra Jet Valve Covers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

endroman

Reaction score
I brought my 351 Cleveland motor out of my 1971 Mustang Mach 1 to machine shop over the winter. After tearing apart and looking at numbers it ends up being a 351 Cleveland Cobra Jet! In looking into it more it looks to be the original motor that came with this mustang. First of all I’m looking for set of Cobra Jet Valve Covers like the picture attached, I can’t seem to find them anywhere to order? Anyone have any idea on where to get similar ones?

Also anyone have any insight on how to verify 100% that this is original motor with this car. In my research very few Mach 1 came with 351 CJ 4V. Thanks for any help.
ff4d54a1e17a8ab754c1e3faa4bb4deb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couple things.

The Cobra Jet name was not used in 71. It was the 72 & 73 moniker for the 351 4v motors with open chamber heads.

What is the engine code in your VIN number? Should be like this 1F05 then next letter would designate what engine it came with. In 1971 would be L, M, H, R, F, C, J

Break down as follows.

L = 250 I6

M = 351C 4V Closed Chamber heads

H = 351C 2V

R = Boss 351

F = 302 2v

C = 429 Cobra Jet

J = 429 Cobra Jet w/ Ram air

To further verify if the engine block you have is original to the car the last 6 digits of the VIN is stamped in the block on the upper back of the drivers side.

If it is the original engine the last 6 digits of the VIN will be stamped on the block

Drivers side at the back right below the head

It should read 1 for 1971, then F or T depending on the plant your car was built at, then the last 6 of your vin

Yes there were 144 Q code 351 4 V's in late 71

Last edited by a moderator:
About 144 1971 Mustangs were produced, late in the production run, with the 351 CJ/engine code Q. Chuck

Couple things.

The Cobra Jet name was not used in 71. It was the 72 & 73 moniker for the 351 4v motors with open chamber heads.

What is the engine code in your VIN number? Should be like this 1F05 then next letter would designate what engine it came with. In 1971 would be L, M, H, R, F, C, J

Break down as follows.

L = 250 I6

H = 351C 2V

R = Boss 351

F = 302 2v

C = 429 Cobra Jet

To further verify if the engine block you have is original to the car the last 6 digits of the VIN is stamped in the block on the upper back of the drivers side.

I have the M code and see pic below it shows it came out in late 71?

33b51f2c86cce139d4ca4db843c23f53.jpg

Ok. so if you have the M code you don't have the Q code (cobra Jet). I did not realize that there were a few Q codes made in late 71. Frankly the M code is a better motor than the Q, the M has the closed chamber high compression heads. the Q would have low compression open chamber heads.

And I believe the valve cover shown is a windsor head.   Let's see how this plays out on photos from OP and comparison of VIN to motor (by looking at date codes).

Mark
Correct. There are not enough holes in that valve cover for a Cleveland.

Ok I was just looking to put these on to show off motor little bit. I will check #s, will be interesting because the hood has Cobra Jet decal on it also. So I’m really confused now. Thought the dots were starting to connect maybe not

endroman, as Don posted, you can check on the  left rear of your block right below the cylinder head. If original to your car the last six digits stamped should match your vin.

Agree with Mark, the valve cover pictured is a Windsor (302, 351W) valve cover which takes six bolts. The Cleveland style took eight bolts and also fit the Boss 302, 351C, 351M and 400 engines. If looking for a similar style valve cover you need to check the FRP (Ford Racing Parts site-formally SVO). I don't have my FRP/SVO catalogs with me to see if that was something offered in the past. https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/72/ValveCovers

The Ford engine listing you posted keeps on appearing on different sites with mostly correct info. The 71 351CJ (code Q) DID NOT replace the 71M. The 71 Q was a April 71 release and was an optional engine along with "M" that remained in production till the end of 71 production. I have a late build 71 Mach 1 (7-28-71) that has the M code 351C.

Not the end of the world if you don't have one of the original 144 71 "Q" code Mustangs, unless you have a strong desire for something rare! As Jason said, the 71 M has the desirable "Quench" cylinder heads and was more than capable of holding it's own against just about anything that wanted to try you!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Dan,

As others have stated or inferred, it really doesn't matter whether your 351C is a 2V, 4V, CJ, HO or Boss unless you are shooting for or desire something rare and even that has qualifiers. ALL 351Cs can be built to perform at the equivalent (or better) level of any of the other 351C engines produced by the factories. It just mean swapping out a few parts and maybe a bit of machining.

Based on your previous posts (you never actually introduced yourself or stated definitely what you REALLY want out of your car), I understand you are essentially looking for a daily driver with a bit of a "wow" factor. You REALLY need to be honest with yourself and decide what you can live with (or not live with) as it relates to your Mustang. Modifying any car usually means compromising, just as the factories do when they build cars for the masses. That is why our cars have so many different options and/or styles. 

If the car is still at the machine shop and you have not yet ordered (or had them order) the parts for the apparent rebuild, you need to STOP and decide what your REALLY want.  Believe me, we here on the Site can help lead you in the "right" direction; you just need to give us something concrete to work with as to your true desires for the Mustang. Many of us have a heck of a lot of experience in making changes for different desired results.

~BT

Ok I was just looking to put these on to show off motor little bit. I will check #s, will be interesting because the hood has Cobra Jet decal on it also. So I’m really confused now. Thought the dots were starting to connect maybe not

Ok everyone sorry for the long delay in the response. I ended up looking at the #s on the block and they do not match the Vin #. Attached is a picture of my car 1971 Mustang Mach 1, if you zoom in on the picture you can see the Cobra Jet letting on side of hood, so that’s what got the dots all connecting that it did come with car but apparently not. I’m sorry if I didn’t introduce myself but I’m a 35 year old and live in Southeastern South Dakota and have had this car since 2004. I got tranny rebuilt about 4 years ago and lucky if it’s got 500 miles on since then. The motor just got done being rebuilt as a knocking sound all of a sudden started and lost oil pressure. Luckily it was just a broken push rod and landed on the pan under intake so didn’t ruin anything. Ended up finding out it’s a 4V block with 4V heads and rebuilt with roller cam, roller lifters, forged pistons....going to be excited to fire it up here this week or next. Again sorry for not introducing myself, please let me know if you would like any other info.
78c784c71ecfe311d8607fee58f413d0.jpg

Couple things.

Break down as follows.

L = 250 I6

H = 351C 2V

R = Boss 351

F = 302 2v

C = 429 Cobra Jet

I have the M code and see pic below it shows it came out in late 71?

33b51f2c86cce139d4ca4db843c23f53.jpg

Interesting info.  It shows the M code without ram air and the Q with it.  Was the Q code 4 bolt main?  If my 71 came with Ram Air, it should be a Q but itis an M.

As I posted earlier, that list has incorrect info. Ram air did not make the M a Q engine. The M engine was an available option along with the Q through the end of 1971 production. The 71 Q DID NOT replace the M during the balance of the 71 model year. The Q engine was a low compression engine and was a sign of what performance was going to be in 1972. Ram Air was a $65.00 option for the M 351 and was standard for the Q.

As far as the Cobra Jet decals on endroman's hood, those are non Ford decals. While they look good, they are not factory. Ford offered argent and black versions of 351 Ram Air, 429 Ram Air, and "Ram Air" only for the Boss 351. Ford felt it would be redundant to use 351 Ram Air on the hood since 351 was already on the fender of the Boss 351.

Back