What is the real truth on PDB booster?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I was going to take my 73 Vert to the opening of the Mustang Museum in Charlotte next week. I had rebuilt the leaking PS pump and that went OK. I got side tracked with the 59 Ford I got and had to put up chain link fence around the yard so just back to the stang on Monday. I had checked at O'Riley Auto Parts and they had the 73 PB booster in stock so I went to get on Monday and they had sold out none in the U.S. and takes weeks to get rebuilt by them or NAPA. The car has new master cylinder and all new components in the brakes. The booster was ok a couple years ago but not now.

O'Riley said the 73 is different from 71 & 72 is this true???? As luck would have it I sold the booster and master cylinder off the parts car I have a few months ago.

I can drive as is but is a risk for sure with the hard brakes. Has new master cylinder and all new brakes on the car.

Might end up on dolly behind truck and then drive from hotel to the show. :huh: 

I also checked with Rock auto and they have nothing.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

David

I was going to take my 73 Vert to the opening of the Mustang Museum in Charlotte next week. I had rebuilt the leaking PS pump and that went OK. I got side tracked with the 59 Ford I got and had to put up chain link fence around the yard so just back to the stang on Monday. I had checked at O'Riley Auto Parts and they had the 73 PB booster in stock so I went to get on Monday and they had sold out none in the U.S. and takes weeks to get rebuilt by them or NAPA. The car has new master cylinder and all new components in the brakes. The booster was ok a couple years ago but not now.

O'Riley said the 73 is different from 71 & 72 is this true???? As luck would have it I sold the booster and master cylinder off the parts car I have a few months ago.

I can drive as is but is a risk for sure with the hard brakes. Has new master cylinder and all new brakes on the car.

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

David
Looks like Auto Zone show a reman in stock online for $87 + core if that works for you.

Try this?https://m.ebay.com/itm/1971-72-73-Mustang-9-Power-brake-booster-master-cylinder-kit-FC0018HK-NEW-/321922765292

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

David
David, West coast classic cougar may have them.

David, the boosters did change yearly....sorta! The 71 used D1ZZ-2005-A which was replaced by the D1ZZ-2005-B which was the booster that was in the kit Ford sold to convert drum brakes to power. 72's used D2ZZ-2005-A until 7/1/72, From 7/1/72 the D3ZZ-2005-A 73 booster was used to balance out the remainder of 72 and 73 production.

rackerm's suggestion to check with West Coast Classic Cougar is the route I would take. They explained how the 73 booster had improved internals that offered improved reliability and could be used to replace all previous versions.   https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/71booster.html?attribs=81

ANY SUGGESTIONS?????

David
Looks like Auto Zone show a reman in stock online for $87 + core if that works for you.
I went there and they did not have. It shows up when you check online but not when you actually go to get one. Sucks.

I don't think there are any real differences. I used a 73 booster and brake system on one of my 71s. No issues I was aware of. The master cylinder is different in 71-2 vs 73. The fitting thread sizes are different.

I discovered that the big box auto parts stores simply send your 'core' off to Cardone for rebuilding.  If you're cool with the car being down for however long it takes them to do it, you might consider that route (O'reilly's told me it would take up to 6 weeks).

I wasn't cool with that, so I found GPS Automotive had some stock replacements for sale (no core needed).  A little pricy, but it fit like a glove, rather than one of the 'suitable substitutes' I'd bought from NPD (they claimed it was a perfect fit - yeah... not so much).

GPS Automotive's website redirects to Leeds Brakes (a new development):

https://leedbrakes.com/i-21155650-9-inch-power-brake-booster-black.html

Hope that helps!

That's the one I got as well... no workie on my car.  I remember the firewall mounting holes not lining up and checking against the original PB - not even close.

Maybe they got the part numbers mixed up on mine or something.

I had an issues with them once. They put there own part numbers on each item. Someone had put the wrong NPD number on it. They did take it back with no problem.

John J

I had an issues with them once. They put there own part numbers on each item. Someone had put the wrong NPD number on it. They did take it back with no problem.

John J
 John, that one from NPD is the same one that I have bit*hed about before. The is no way in h*ll it fits if there are shock tower braces and you're replacing non-power master cylinder. Not only that, the push rod height is all wrong for correct leverage.  May work if replacing a factory original, but I wouldn't be optimistic.

Just my thought on the so-called "65-73" one-size-fits-all crap that gets pushed on the unsuspecting.

John J
Well, it's a little late now - only been about 3 years since I bought it.  They probably won't take it back.  LOL!  (I'm thinking about using it on my Jeep, anyway)

Back