Grande specific options

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soonerbillz

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang
So I read that the Grande allowed the buyer to get just about any option offered for other models in the model year ordered..

Were there any Grande specific options not allowed on the other models?

Mine, came fully loaded, but doesn't have the tilt column.

I've seen all the options back in other models except of course the Grande scripts on side of the roof

and the plate/script with in console if the car wasn't having the full deluxe/convenience group options.

http://www.mustang-s.com/years/1973/1973_mustang.htm

Check in the Ford Facts book and it will tell you all the details on models and options.

Like the Mach 1 people have the perception that it was a performance package when really it was not. It was more of an appearance thing. About the only thing unique to the Mach 1 was the Name Mach 1 on the badging, the vinyl insert in the carpet and the Mach 1 Sports Interior option. Everything else was available on other models even the stripe in 72 & 73 without the Mach 1 badges.

I would expect about the only thing on the Grande not available on other models would be the name or trim pieces.

David

Check in the Ford Facts book and it will tell you all the details on models and options.

Like the Mach 1 people have the perception that it was a performance package when really it was not. It was more of an appearance thing. About the only thing unique to the Mach 1 was the Name Mach 1 on the badging, the vinyl insert in the carpet and the Mach 1 Sports Interior option. Everything else was available on other models even the stripe in 72 & 73 without the Mach 1 badges.

I would expect about the only thing on the Grandé not available on other models would be the name or trim pieces.

David
Thanks,

I sent you a pm!

Is "Grande" pronounced like "grand" or "Gran-day" ??? Is the "e" on the end silent, as in "The Rio Grande" or is that why there is an accent on the "e", to sound it out?

Last edited by a moderator:
71Coupster, pronounced "GronDay" just as you would pronounce Rio Grande.

The option book was pretty much open to everything for the Grande except anything that would cause a de-content on the Grande's standard equipment. The only option I can think of is the Decor Group option. It was restricted to base hardtops and verts. The lower body side accent paint and tape stripe (only available in conjunction with the decor group) would not have worked with the Grande standard rocker panel molding and wheel opening moldings.

So it was entirely possible to order a "Sleeper" Grande with a SCJ 429 and no one would have any ideal what just happened to them!!

I would doubt the Grande ever got a Mach 1 grill.   Not sure about 1971, but for 1972 and 1973 Grandes, they got unique wheel covers as standard equipment. Grandes and Mach 1's were only body types that got color-keyed dual racing mirrors as standard equipment.

Most Grandes did come with a thin Grande-only side tape stripe running along the top of bodyline. The exterior color designated these stripe colors.  

You rarely see those stripes as many aren't aware they came that way.  Notice some of the 'GLOW" exterior colors did not receive these small stripes.

Here are the related stripe color combos from the final revision of the 72 Dealer facts Book:

1972 Mustang Grande tape stripe color.JPG

Ray

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

[Grandes and Mach 1's were only body types that got color-keyed dual racing mirrors as standard equipment.]

Mine came indeed with a color-keyed mirror but only one. I thought the passenger side one was lost at some point, but found no holes or weldings and had to drill new ones for the mirror that I've added later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ray,

Do you have that stripes diagram for 73’s as well?
I'd almost bet they are the same for 73.

Looking in the 73 Facts Book,  I did not see similar chart.  But the 1973 Dealer "Color and Trim Book" should list them.  That is one book that is buried in a box.  I'll try and look asap.  If anyone has that bok handy - please post.

Ray

[Grandes and Mach 1's were only body types that got color-keyed dual racing mirrors as standard equipment.]

Mine came indeed with a color-keyed mirror but only one. I thought the passenger side one was lost at some point, but found no holes or weldings and had to drill new ones for the mirror that I've added later on.
Only Mach 1's and Grandes received Dual color-keyed racing mirrors - DS cable controlled PS non-cable controlled.

One possibility - your passenger door has been replaced by one from a Hardtop. Or there may have been a repair to your original door and the mirror never replaced - until you did it.   Hard to say.

Ray

Color Keyed accent stripe was standard and unique to the Grandé. When the protection group option was ordered on a Grandé the vinyl insert body side molding replaced the upper accent tape stripe. A spare tire lock and door edge guards were also part of the option which was  $23.38 for the Grandé $36.00 for all other models.

Ray,

Do you have that stripes diagram for 73’s as well?
I'd almost bet they are the same for 73.

Looking in the 73 Facts Book,  I did not see similar chart.  But the 1973 Dealer "Color and Trim Book" should list them.  That is one book that is buried in a box.  I'll try and look asap.  If anyone has that bok handy - please post.

Ray
I'd guess the same but my original color (5T - Saddle bronze metallic) isn't listed...

I would doubt the Grandé ever got a Mach 1 grill.   Not sure about 1971, but for 1972 and 1973 Grandes, they got unique wheel covers as standard equipment. Grandes and Mach 1's were only body types that got color-keyed dual racing mirrors as standard equipment.

Most Grandes did come with a thin Grandé-only side tape stripe running along the top of bodyline. The exterior color designated these stripe colors.  

You rarely see those stripes as many aren't aware they came that way.  Notice some of the 'GLOW" exterior colors did not receive these small stripes.

Here are the related stripe color combos from the final revision of the 72 Dealer facts Book:

Ray

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Great info Ray!

Back