Map light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Copestang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1

Is this a mustang map light, brought it off Ebay. It’s got the ford stamped but don’t see any parts number. It’s don’t fit into the console that I got from CJ Pony

Map light goes in the dash right over the shifter. The clock goes into the console. There may be a blank plate covering the space if you car came with out one.

John J

Last edited by a moderator:
Copestang, that lamp appears to be for a 69-70 Cougar which had screws to hold the lens in place . The 65F and 76F Cougar XR-7's had the off/on switch while the other models used the same lamp but without the switch. There are probably not going to be any numbers on the lamp housing. Most of them were identified with a tape style tag that had the engineering number on it. Of course 40+ years later most of them have dried up and fell off. My illustration shows the D1ZZ-15650-A,   71-73 map lamp and the snap in style lens it uses. The reverse side shows the tape tag with the D1ZB-15650-AA ID # which is the only number on the lamp. The 71-73 Cougar uses a D1WY-15650-A but it also does not fit the Mustang.

The D1ZZ lamp does show up occasionally, but are not usually what you would call affordable. If your not a stickler for for a OE lamp there is an alternative. Paul (Rocket366) designed a LED map light for our 71-73 Mustangs. Jason (73pony) was sent the prototype and gave a thumbs up recommendation. I'm sure Jason wouldn't mind if you contacted him. The link is to the post where Paul describes the lamp. https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-center-console-map-light-clone-with-led?highlight=map+light

15650.JPG

15650-1.JPG

I try him over a month ago but no reply, but I will try again

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to watch the ebay ads they do not care if it fits or not and many ads state years that do not fit. I see Fenders, tail light panels, bumpers, tilt columns, shifters, and of course the map lights stated as being for 71 - 73 mustang. There are differences in our cars by year so know what works for yours before you buy.

I was at Charlotte swap meet last week and saw a console clock on one of the Mustang parts vendors tables with a $200 price on it, WOW. I have bought entire consoles for $35. in years past. How quick supply and demand changes. I also saw quarter panel extensions at Charlotte stating 71 - 73 when they were 73 only to use the rubber filler pieces in front of the rear bumper.

If the seller stated for Mustang I would go back to them and look for refund.

David

You have to watch the ebay ads they do not care if it fits or not and many ads state years that do not fit. I see Fenders, tail light panels, bumpers, tilt columns, shifters, and of course the map lights stated as being for 71 - 73 mustang. There are differences in our cars by year so know what works for yours before you buy.

I was at Charlotte swap meet last week and saw a console clock on one of the Mustang parts vendors tables with a $200 price on it, WOW. I have bought entire consoles for $35. in years past. How quick supply and demand changes. I also saw quarter panel extensions at Charlotte stating 71 - 73 when they were 73 only to use the rubber filler pieces in front of the rear bumper.

If the seller stated for Mustang I would go back to them and look for refund.

David
thanks, did what this did, and I understand what you talking about as far people listed part, if you not sure, don't even put mustang in the listed

Back