1973 slot mags whats the biggest tyre you can have on them

Nige

I have 295s in rear and 245s in front in the 15s Magnum. They fit just right.

EDIT PS: sorry, I think you were asking about Magnesium wheels rather than Magnums.

20160922_221120.jpg

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

You can mount a tire that is too wide for the rim. When you do, the sidewall is distorted outward causing it to be less than fully supported. It also decreases the overall contact patch as well as making the tire's effective diameter smaller and section width larger. It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you wanted to run the car on a road course I'd limit tire width to 225. If you just want the look of a bigger tire you can physically mount a larger tire. Chuck

You can mount a tire that is too wide for the rim. When you do, the sidewall is distorted outward causing it to be less than fully supported. It also decreases the overall contact patch as well as making the tire's effective diameter smaller and section width larger. It depends on what you want to do with the car. If you wanted to run the car on a road course I'd limit tire width to 225. If you just want the look of a bigger tire you can physically mount a larger tire. Chuck

You are correct. I love the looks of the wide tire, but I understand that not all the width of the tire is in contact due to the distortion you refer to. The other reason I went with this tire size is that it is the same diameter as the 245s in front. I didn't want different diameters in front and back. Unfortunately, there were no many other options in smaller width. The 275s are taller than the 245s.

20160929_171923_edit2_small.jpg

1971 M-Code Mach 1 w/Ram Air, 408 stroker, 285/291 0.558" roller cam, Blue Thunder intake, TKO600, Hooker headers with electric cut-offs, FiTech EFI w/ RobBMC PowerSurge pump

Strange center section with Truetrac, 3.5 gear and 31 spline axles, 4-wheel disc brakes

Hello All

1973 slot mags 14 x 6 whats the widest tyre that can be put on them please.

Thanks Nigel

I have the new Firestone wide oval radials GR70 x 14 which is equivalent to a P225x70x14. They are about as large as is recommended to go on the stock 6 x14 73 aluminum rims.

20170907_163030.jpg

1973 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

DSC_0266xsm.jpg

satellite.png Proud Space Junk Award Winner!