Feels like its running out if gass??

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
Ok, its a 351 4v, stock

Was running perfect,  then it stalled. Felt like it ran out of gass. Finally got it restarted, drove home kinda sluggishly. Last year i dropped the tank, very clean, replaced  all hoses, pump, filter. The carb looks like it was a fresh rebuilt. Lately it seems to run perfectly, then it feels like its running out of gass , stalles. Gass is fresh, cleaned with gum out, lubed all moving parts. Any ideas?

Alex

As soon as it feels like it's going to stall pull the gas cap off, see if the tank is venting through the charcoal cannister, if not you'll hear the air suck into the tank when you remove the cap.

If that's OK the problem may be the fuel filter or fuel pump. You'll need to test the pump for pressure and volume output.

How long is it running before it starts the issues? What is the temp gauge reading when the issue starts?
1st time, Fully warmed up

Now it seems to do it anytime, could be 1 minute or 15 minutes after start

The engine runs cold,  never going 1/4 way on the guage

As soon as it feels like it's going to stall pull the gas cap off, see if the tank is venting through the charcoal cannister, if not you'll hear the air suck into the tank when you remove the cap.

If that's OK the problem may be the fuel filter or fuel pump. You'll need to test the pump for pressure and volume output.
Pump and filter new.  This is a 1970 w/ cali emissions.

Wondering if the cooler temp has anything  to do with this issue??

New means very little, anymore.

I wouldn't put much faith in the temperature gauge, the only way to make sure is an infrared thermometer on the upper hose or water neck. In any case, I don't believe a cold running engine would cause your problem, but you should make sure your thermostat isn't stuck open.

The next time it stalls, pull the air cleaner lid and pump the throttle lever a few times to see if you have fuel in the carburetor and squirting fuel out of the accelerator nozzles.

It's also possible that the coil or condenser is breaking down when it warms up. Are you still running points? If so, how do they look and is the gap and/ or dwell adjusted correctly?

It is also very easy to confuse STALLED feels like  "running out of fuel" and spark issues!  When I hear FINALLY got it started , I picture a car that has gas, BUT WEEK or intermittent spark hence the feeling of no fuel.  

Usually with these old cars, (assuming compression) it really comes down to spark or fuel.  Since you have gone through the fuel system (short of a pressure test at the pump)  you  may have to look at secondary spark next.    

I guess (after reading your prior post, fuel issues etc etc) I would question IF you had fixed the fuel issue of last July, HOW you did it and when you did, did you also do the same work on the fuel system (posted today) OR didn't do that then.

Mark

P.S.  Please understand , when I reply I look into a persons past post, photos and level of pain they can endure financially.  It isn't a "why are you doing that thing" rather the only way I can answer a question as we rarely get all the info all the time in the first post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had a similar problem once that turned out to be defective mustard top coil. Ran fine cold, as soon as engine (or surrounding air) warmed up the coil is would begin to act like it was starved for fuel. Once the coil cooled down it would start right up, but it would then die after a few minutes.

New means very little, anymore.

I wouldn't put much faith in the temperature gauge, the only way to make sure is an infrared thermometer on the upper hose or water neck. In any case, I don't believe a cold running engine would cause your problem, but you should make sure your thermostat isn't stuck open.

The next time it stalls, pull the air cleaner lid and pump the throttle lever a few times to see if you have fuel in the carburetor and squirting fuel out of the accelerator nozzles.

It's also possible that the coil or condenser is breaking down when it warms up. Are you still running points? If so, how do they look and is the gap and/ or dwell adjusted correctly?
Still running points, all looks new

How would a mechanical  fuel pump fail itermitatly?

Had a similar problem once that turned out to be defective mustard top coil.  Ran fine cold, as soon as engine (or surrounding air) warmed up the coil is would begin to act like it was starved for fuel.  Once the coil cooled down it would start right up, but it would then die after a few minutes.
Mustard top coil??

It is also very easy to confuse STALLED feels like  "running out of fuel" and spark issues!  When I hear FINALLY got it started , I picture a car that has gas, BUT WEEK or intermittent spark hence the feeling of no fuel.  

Usually with these old cars, (assuming compression) it really comes down to spark or fuel.  Since you have gone through the fuel system (short of a pressure test at the pump)  you  may have to look at secondary spark next.    

I guess (after reading your prior post, fuel issues etc etc) I would question IF you had fixed the fuel issue of last July, HOW you did it and when you did, did you also do the same work on the fuel system (posted today) OR didn't do that then.

Mark

P.S.  Please understand , when I reply I look into a persons past post, photos and level of pain they can endure financially.  It isn't a "why are you doing that thing" rather the only way I can answer a question as we rarely get all the info all the time in the first post.
I dont see a thread with fuel issue from july

Ahhh...I wonder if Waterlife removed the waterpump in the original thread to fix that problem. Why, you ask? If he did and did not put the bolts in their original locations, a longer bolt can interfere with the fuel pump lever arm, leading to a running-out-of gas situation. How do I know about this? I'm a wise guy; a wise guy gets that way from experience; experience comes from multiple failures. That should be sufficient to let you know how I know about this.

Ahhh...I wonder if Waterlife removed the waterpump in the original thread to fix that problem.  Why, you ask?  If he did and did not put the bolts in their original locations, a longer bolt can interfere with the fuel pump lever arm, leading to a running-out-of gas situation.  How do I know about this?  I'm a wise guy; a wise guy gets that way from experience; experience comes from multiple failures.  That should be sufficient to let you know how I know about this.
I did a water pump, timing chain, fuel pump ecentric. But seem to run fine after the job, no issue for weeks later??

I was looking at this problem in 2017 https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-noise-coming-from-front-of-motor

I need to go to your profile again and read all of your threads, issues and see what you have done.  Like I said "never know if OP doesn't end thread/post result or tell all.

Mark
I did that work due to a noise issue and what i thought was a loose fuel pump eccentric. Turns out none of which was bad,  noise must be internal engine issue

Had a similar problem once that turned out to be defective mustard top coil.  Ran fine cold, as soon as engine (or surrounding air) warmed up the coil is would begin to act like it was starved for fuel.  Once the coil cooled down it would start right up, but it would then die after a few minutes.
Mustard top coil??
https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/coil8_1.3018.jpg[/img]

Mustard top coil??
https://www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/c/o/coil8_1.3018.jpg[/img]
First time i heard that expression, its an older standard coil

So I started the car last night, 2 pumpes and she fired right up. After 20 min. She started to run out if gas. It started right up again, stalled started 2x. Seen gas squirt in to carb, but it keep starting. Went for a 15 min. Ride only started to cut out once about 10 min. Into drive, then it cleared up and drove fine again???

Back