New Wiper parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
She is named Victoria and sports a 302 with a C4.
Hey everyone. I need to replace my wiper motor, fluid pump and wiper switch. It seems that the factory 2 speed motor is the only one available for 1971 Mustang. Has anyone found anything other than this that will fit that may be a "better" motor? I was also looking at the Scott Drake Intermittent Wiper Switch that allows you to have 7 different speed intervals instead of the original 2 speed aka slow and slower. I live in the Seattle area right now and the factory setup just isn't working for me. Has anyone tried out his switch? If so, what is your review of it? The reviews online are mixed and don't seem too great. As always, thanks for the help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nik, there was only one wiper motor used for all 71-73 Mustangs and Cougars D1ZZ-17508-A, Motorcraft WM-254. (Ford ID# D1ZF-AA, D2ZF-AA). You can add intermittent wipers by adding a governor and replacing your two speed switch. The original governer is D1ZZ-17C476-A (ID# D1ZF-17C476-AA,AB or D2ZB-AA). It was replaced by the one used in the 73-79 F series trucks. D3TZ-17C476-A (ID# D3TB-14C476-AA). The switch needed was also a 71-73 Mustang and Cougar item. Ford part# D1ZZ-17A553-B, Motorcraft SW-993, and can be identified by ID# D1ZB-17A553-BB or D2ZB-AA.

The switch and governor are no longer available new from Ford. Since Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply and Mike @ Motor City Mustang both have parts cars and sell some used parts, I would give them a call to see if these items are something they may have. If not, you could always try E-Bay. Don would also be a good source for the new washer reservoir and pump.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are a couple of reproduction reservoirs out there - be careful which one you choose. One is unbranded, the other has the Ford logo on the cap. I have an unbanded as well as a used original I will not be using if you are interested.

Back