460 PILOT BUSHING-BEARING

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
466 big block, wide ratio toploader, 125 shot NOx, fastback, Detroit Locker
Has anyone run into the issue in which the 1.850" OD pilot bushing (same for the roller bearing), 0.669" ID does not fit into the back of the 460 crank. I had a spare 429 (1968) crank and it pressed in like a charm. I check the cranks ID and the 429 measured  ~1.35", while the 460 (not sure of the exact year, but it is internally balanced) measures ~1.827". I say '~' because the pressure I place on the vernier calipre wheel varies the reading by a couple thousandths. Those in the know claim there were 2 sizes of pilot bushings-bearings for the 460, but cannot tell me the one other than the 1.850" OD. 

Does anyone know the part number or where to look to find a 460 pilot bearing-bushing that is 0.669" ID and around ~ 1.840 OD. I am down to thinking about just getting one of the 1.850" OD bushings and having it turned on a lathe. If I do that, does anyone knwo if there is a"press fit formula", i.e, 0.005 thousandths (or thereabouts) in order to have the bushing make a nice tight fit?

Thanks

Don: just what I needed to know. I left it for a while and just checked if anyone could help.

Most appreciated.

Back