Alternative clock movement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
66 Mustang 347/C4
69 Cougar XR7 460/C6
I originally posted an 'Any Interest' thread in another section, but now that I have this neat little Marketplace I will post in here instead.

For reference, this is my original post (https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-three-wire-clock) :

Many of you are familiar with my 'three wire' tachometer conversions.  Many of you also know that I repair clocks.  Some of you may have noticed that I had to stop offering clock servce to the General Time (GT) movements used in the console clocks due to a lack of usable parts.

Well, I have come up with a 'three wire' clock conversion for the console clocks used in 69-73 Mustangs and 71-73 Cougars.

Without going into detail right now, I would like some input from actual owners on whether or not the differnces in my clock versus the OEM clock will be acceptable or if I should abandon this product.

Differences from Stock:

1 - There is no second hand.

2 - I am not using the stock hands but very close replacements.

3 - I have not come up with a suitable chrome center cap, so right now it is black.

4 - The new clock uses the OEM wiring plus a third switchable wire.

5 - The clock is silent. No winding, clicking or ticking. (The minute hand 'tics' forward each minute, but makes no sound.)

The good news:

It bolts in like the original.

To the casual observer it will look stock.

It draws almost no power at all (less than 0.05A @ 12.5 VDC).

I don't have a firm price yet, but I can say it will be less than the 'quartz conversions' currently being offered.

Of course it will have the RCCI Lifetime warranty.

I have enough cores and parts to build 10 anyway, but am wondering if this is something I should look at offering as a new product.

Thoughts?

A couple of changes since that was posted:

The minute hand moves every 30 seconds, not every sixty.

When the minute hand moves there is very slight 'tic'.

I have also found a way to use the OEM chrome center piece.

There is still no second hand and I doubt that there ever will be. This is not a concourse correct conversion, but an affordable option to make the console clocks usable again.

I will post pictures of the converted clock with the OEM hands and the modern 'illuminated' hands.

Here is a converted clock with the OEM hands and the chrome center cap:

...and a converted clock with the modern 'illuminated' hands. Note that the hands are longer than stock (and I think easier to read). I did not put a chrome center on this one, but it would be the same as the one in the OEM hands picture above. The hands are not illuminated in this picture.

The hands can be set to illuminate with the dash lights only or any time the ignition is on. If wired into the dash lights they are not dimmable.

This conversion is different from the quartz movement conversions in that it is actually a digital timer chip that moves an analog stepper motor once every thirty seconds.

Put me on the list too. I want mine to work too, and as most here may have noticed I'm not the concourse correct type of guy. :)

It's been a while since I gave any updates so here goes:

I have managed to come up with a way to set the clock with the original set stem and knob so it still looks stock. Remember - these movements are all electronic, no gears to set the time, much like a digital clock on a modern car.

Also have a solution for setting clocks with broken or missing set stems (a more common problem than you might think).

I am not happy with the stock minute and hour hands solution, so I am currently looking into another way to incorporate them.

LOL, I have owned one of these since new and have restored several consoles and have I think 7 right now. Never paid any attention if it had second hand or how the center looked. I think most people that get hung up in details are weird, lol.

99.9% of the people that look in the car have no idea what the clock should look like. BTW do you have any of the coils for the original clock? What about making the coils?

David

David - no, the coil packs are extremely hard to find. They are the main reason I had to stop servicing the GT movements.

Of course the Borg movement coil pack is completely different - and plentiful. The GT was just an over complicated poor design.

NotAT5 - Glad to hear it. Do you disconnect it at all or leave it running all the time?

Steve - The Grande cluster clocks are also GT so parts are scarce and quartz movements can only be done by ISI - don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ISI makes the quartz movements and they 'own' the process used to make a Borg quartz movement work with the GT set mechanism. That being said, this should work in the cluster clock as well, I just never thought of it. I guess sub-consciously I want you to convert your clock to a tach. ;)

I guess sub-consciously I want you to convert your clock to a tach. ;)
Steve - just do it... you won't be sorry.  You're going to put a center console in the car, anyway... so you'll need one of those clocks for the console.  :poke:

rofl

Bob - put me on the list for one of your new console clocks as well.  Do you need the core up-front, or could we send it along later?

Steve - The Grandé cluster clocks are also GT so parts are scarce and quartz movements can only be done by ISI - don't let anyone tell you otherwise, ISI makes the quartz movements and they 'own' the process used to make a Borg quartz movement work with the GT set mechanism. That being said, this should work in the cluster clock as well, I just never thought of it. I guess sub-consciously I want you to convert your clock to a tach. ;)
Hahaha would love convert to tach but trying to stay true to the original build.

I will be pulling the dash out over the next couple of months. Will PM you when i am ready to pull the trigger

Back