1971 429cj vacuum adjustable advance part?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.

Hello Forum......my (friggin`amazing awesomely fantastical) 429cj was at pre-summer service recently. All was A-ok.......except the vacuum advance on the distributor. It needs to be replaced.

Could someone point me in the direction towards a high quality part. I have have surfed a lot, but I am unable to make a final decision on the part.

I think it needs to be `single port and adjustable`..........

I just dont want to buy the wrong part......

Thanks.

I will not be into town for a few days but will check with the parts house that I got the 351 C thermostats from and see if they have NOS on the shelf. The parts house closed like 25 years ago and they are selling the NOS inventory now.

There was a kit from Ford back when new to eliminate the vacuum advance and be centrifugal. I put one of the kits on my 73 351 C Q code when new. You left the vacuum motor there you just cut the arm off of it. You adjusted the advance by using different strength springs that came in the kit. It was also dual points. It required changing the cam or center shaft in the distributor and the plate and points but was in kit.

I am sure you would never find one, lol.

David

Awesome. That would be great. Please get back to me if you find something. Otherwise, there is an interesting Crane on Ebay.

It comes with small springs and an adjuster........would it fit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok got by the closed up parts house this afternoon. Good news is they have them but there are 7 different ones listed. Need number off of the distributor to get the correct one. The parts book grouped all of the 429 engines together, T-bird, Torino, Mustang etc. I am betting it is the D1AF-NA. Here are the ones listed in the parts book and this is not a Ford parts book NAPA store if I remember right.

C8AF-AD

C8VF-C

C9AF-Y

DOAF-Z

DOOF-Y

D1AF-NA

C8VF-A

Let me know what the number is and I can get a price.

The NA change at the end means that went through the alphabet 13 times for engineering changes. They started with A went through the alphabet then went to two letters. AA, AB, etc. to get to NA. That would be 312 Engineering changes am I seeing that correct? If Ford did like other numbers they left off the I and l so they would not be seen as numbers.

Thanks,

David

Wow....awesome. Yes...it is a 4sp car. The mentioned website is an absolute treasure trove of technical information for 429´ers. Amazing site. Who runs it? I have tried quite a few times to contact the fellow over a period of near,y 2 yeats now.

The advance unit on the website doesnt look anything like the unit on my car now. Maybe the original has been changed at some point.

I am VERY interested in purchasing a correct vacuum advance for my car. 1971 429cj ram air 4sp. Please get in touch. Thanks

I am 10000km away from the car now, and cant check the distributor..........can you gleen anything from the initial picture? Definitely Autolite cap.....

I would personally wait until you can get a look at the numbers on your distributor. It is hard to tell from your pic and comparing to the 429 site, but the casting on your distributor looks different, so you may not have the original correct distributor.

I will get you a price tomorrow. If you do want it I will take a vacuum pump with me and check that it is good before purchase. If you want two would make sense to ship both. I can do Export papers as gift I believe and no duties. I have sent to Africa several times.

They are not going anywhere so no hurry very few know about this place and lots of rare parts there.

Cheers,

David

David....ok, thats sounds great. I definitely want one....maybe two. I will not be back at my car until aound the 18th. May. Is that ok?

Then I will check the distributor....

Brgds,

Please see pictures below.....both are pictures of my engine. On the upper picture the PVS is connected to the vacuum advance. On the lower the PVS lower tap is blocked of. The lower picture is a new picture. Is this normal? Is my vacuum advance connected at all??

I have seen many pictures of 429 engines, and it does seem the PVS needs to be connected to the advance unit.......is this correct? Thanks.

David.....did you get any pricing info?

I may have to wait until end of May, as I won't see the car until then.

Let me know....

Thanks.
I need to know which one to get price. I will take a vacuum pump and check before purchase. Might just go get one for auto and one for manual sure I can sell.

David

David, I meant to get some info to your earlier, but have been under the weather this past week. Had a some sort of virus that put me as close to having the flu as you can get without actually having it!

The production installed distributor should be DOOF-AA. That is  cataloged as a dual port vacuum advance distributor. The vacuum advance is D1AZ-12370-A (Motorcraft DD-267) replaced by D2OZ-12370-J (Motorcraft DD-267-A). Since the business has been shut own for a while I'll assume they don't have a working computer/catalog system. I know at one time NAPA had a Ford to NAPA part number cross catalog, so he should be able to cross these numbers.

If....Anderslober wants to stay with the single port advance that can still be made to happen. I replaced the dual port advances on my 429 and 351 C's and they ran fine. Those were in the days when "Cleaning Up" under the hood was a rite of passage!  I ran one originally listed for a 72 460 and was later phased in on 73/ applications. Ford part number is D2VY-12370-B (Motorcraft is DD-341).

You were pretty close on the D1AF-NA. That is for 71 Police Interceptor, 71 Torino CJ AT, and 71 Mustang SCJ AT.

If you need any more numbers just let me know, I'm sure we can find some more to add to this alphabet soup!!     :D

Back