fold down info.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

71steed

Reaction score
My Car
66 GT coupe
67 GTA convertible
69 Fastback, Boss 429 clone
69 GT coupe
71 Sports coupe
71 Mach 1
73 Mach 1
I bought a 71 Mach 1, m code, with fold down.  To my surprise, behind the rear vertical seat, there was no support bracing on either side of the trap door opening.  The vertical strips on both sides of the trap door were there, screwed to the "package shelf" and the lower trap door hinge.  There was no "fan shape webbing" bracing between them and the inner wheel houses.  My 72 and 73 had the bracing.  It was an early build.  It also had a 69/70 rear spoiler, and according to the Marti, it came with one.  So if you are adding a fold down, you actually don't need those pieces.  I guess they may give the car support if it got hit from the side.  If you are adding it, it doesn't matter.  The car wasn't built with one so you aren't really cheating.  FYI

Can you share some pictures please so I can better understand it? Also check the date code on the trunk lid and date codes on the reinforcement inner pieces in the fold down. I do not think they would leave pieces out. Even prototypes have all the pieces present months before production starts.

Can you share your Marti also. I am always interested in any odd cars out there.

Thanks,

David

The second picture shows the section of the car I'm talking about. That sheet metal piece was never there.

That is correct Early cars didn't have the large wing (with holes). If there is any chance you would sell the early style metal vertical strips (if you can cut out long) I would purchase, trade, travel to do the work if you won't!

Most people can't/don't do a fold down as they never have the welded on brackets, and tabs NEEDED when adding! If you are getting a Fold Down package together to sell OR PUT IN YOUR CAR.................most don't add or need the vertical strips as you point out.

I am in a different situation.

Mark

runescape how to delete account

Which vertical strips are you needing? The black ones?

Which vertical strips are you needing?  The black ones?
Yes - you state that are screwed to the package tray and and the hinge.  Let me know if you need any 1971 parts (if you are a restorer) or if I just pay.   Could also use the plastic conduit covering the rear taillight harness in the trunk if you have (that can be bent in two and fit in same box)

Mark Haas

5497 Highlawn Way

Brighton MI 48114

Yes - you state that are screwed to the package tray and and the hinge.  Let me know if you need any 1971 parts (if you are a restorer) or if I just pay.   Could also use the plastic conduit covering the rear taillight harness in the trunk if you have (that can be bent in two and fit in same box)

Mark Haas

5497 Highlawn Way

Brighton MI 48114
Mark, I'm sorry if you misunderstood me.  I was posting an FYI about the side supports.  I have the fold down assembly complete and I'm not parting it out.  I'm selling it complete when someone needs a complete package; everything including the space saver hold down, the brackets for the rubber fold down bumpers, the corner panels, all brackets, hardware and panels.

Mark Haas

5497 Highlawn Way

Brighton MI 48114
Mark, I'm sorry if you misunderstood me.  I was posting an FYI about the side supports.  I have the fold down assembly complete and I'm not parting it out.  I'm selling it complete when someone needs a complete package; everything including the space saver hold down, the brackets for the rubber fold down bumpers, the corner panels, all brackets, hardware and panels.
Well think about this........you showed that you don't need to have on an early car/if someone was adding to a late car would use there "buttresses".    I don't see a person with a late body "plasmas cutting out the buttresses to use those!   Think about it, sleep on it..MAYBE there is someone that "would consider" if you posted a price they had a way to visualise getting from NY and would apply my money to the deal to make feasible. 

Mark

P.S.  Those that know me...know I would buy, pickup and deliver (coast to coast/on my time frame) if they needed something.

Back