My 72 Mustang ragtop

murstang

Hi Murstang

Could you please do me a favor and measure the distance between the tops of your car's front and rear wheel arches to the floor?

No problem Mike. The wheelwell arches measure 24" to the ground in front and 24.5" in the rear. My 20's may be a touch bigger in diameter than your 18's at 26.5" overall, so I measured the axle centerlines to the wheelwell arch and they are 11.25" front and 11.75" rear. Trust me, this is as low as you want to go with stock suspension components. I'm at the limits as far as travel and geometry are concerned so I'll be making some changes this off season, and keep the same stance. Thankfully I live in the far southwest region of British Columbia so the roads are decent. Hope this helps out.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No problem Mike. The wheelwell arches measure 24" to the ground in front and 24.5" in the rear. My 20's may be a touch bigger in diameter than your 18's at 26.5" overall, so I measured the axle centerlines to the wheelwell arch and they are 11.25" front and 11.75" rear. Trust me, this is as low as you want to go with stock suspension components. I'm at the limits as far as travel and geometry are concerned so I'll be making some changes this off season, and keep the same stance. Thankfully I live in the far southwest region of British Columbia so the roads are decent. Hope this helps out.

Thank you for the info.

By the way, your wheels and mine are exactly the same diameter, as 255/45/18 = 285/40/18 = 255/35/20 . (Diameter that is, not width. The 285 is wider of course)

Both of our wheels are larger in diameter than stock, so you could drop the front of your car further by reducing the diameter of the wheel, at least that´s what I´m gonna do with mine to get the rake. (plus the shortened springs of course.)

Problem is, I gotta get rid of the long tube headers first, as I need more ground clearance.

Another problem we have here is inspection. If I lower it too far I will not pass the inspection and I´ll have the registration revoked. We don´t want that to happen!!

I can go a little lower, but probably not all the way. We´ll see.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action