Can FMX be removed from car without dismounting exhaust?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spechti

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 (under restoration), 1973 Lincoln Mark IV (show boat)
Hi there,

after exploring in different directions, I still have some vibrations in the drivetrain. The vibration is rpm-related, not speed-related. So I can for the most exclude the driveshaft, axles an tires. A strong suspect goes way to the transmission, flexplate, torque converter.

I have a complete set of parts here, including another rebuilt FMX as well as a new Pioneer flexplate with 164 teeth and 28 oz. imbalance and a new balanced torque converter.

I plan to replace the whole trans assembly and want to do this from below the car. The 71 Mach 1 has a dual exhaust with a crossover tube on height of the slip yoke.

Can the transmission be removed from the car without unmounting the exhaust System?

Experiences?

Michael

I pulled my FMX from below. It was a bitch. If you do not have a lift (I did not either), I personally do not trust Jack Stands. I purchased a bunch of 2x12 boards and nailed them together with stops on the front and back and put them under all 4 tires to get the car up the air enough to be able to work under the car and get the trans out. I did not have to pull my entire exhaust but did have to unbolt it from the manifolds to get the trans to clear. That being said it was still going to be difficult so I undid the muffler clamps at the front of the mufflers and completely removed the intermediate pipe assembly as one piece. Trans dripped out just fine. I also fashioned up an additional support for the engine to keep it from rocking back and forth and keep it stable, as once the trans is disconnected and out the only thing holding the engine in place are the two motor mounts and it can want to rock front to back.

Here is a pic of the "lift" I made...

Before you remove the trans to trouble shoot an rpm related vibration, pull the drive belts off all of the accessories. Have found more than one fan and/or fan clutch gone bad that caused vibrations.

As far as the exhaust, you'll need to remove it. It'll take less time to get the intermediate pipe out of the way, than all the contortions you'll have to do if you leave it in place.

Thanks, guys.

The car including the complete drivetrain was restored 3 years ago. It got new mounts for engine and trans. I have a replacement mount left over and can change it for testing.

I also have obtained a transmission vibration damper from another FMX which I can test. That is some kind of foot-long arm with a weight on it. It is mounted to the flat 3-bore part on the lower trans extension housing.

Back