Hurst shifter knob stencil

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible 351 CJ 4 Speed Manual Q-Code
Hurst Shifter, Power Windows, Power front Disc Brakes, Power Top, Tilt Steering Wheel, Air Conditioning, 3.25 Traction-Lok Dif, Center Console, Door Edge Guards, Décor package, AM/8 Track Stereo, Tinted Glass, Competition Suspension, Instrumentation Group, Convenience Group, Sebring Knit/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats, Rim Blow Deluxe Steering Wheel, Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

[url=https://ibb.co/gSMafm][img]https://preview.ibb.co/njh3Y6/Cruise_25_1_1.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello Gents

In have a hurst shifter on my 72 vert and  looking to find a way to restore the white diagram on the black shifter knob.  Short of finding a replacement are there any tricks to restoring it?  I want to keep the original knob.

Thanks for any help.

The shift pattern is molded into the knob and inlaid with paint. You could probably repaint with some white model paint and then polish the knob (lol) with some extremely very fine paper to sharpen up the pattern. A coat of automotive 2K clear would make it nearly bulletproof.

mudbilly pid='319750' dateline='1524824559']hurst knob.jpghurst knob.jpgCan you post a pic of the knob ?

Last edited by a moderator:
The shift pattern is molded into the knob and inlaid with paint. You could probably repaint with some white model paint and then polish the knob (lol) with some extremely very fine paper to sharpen up the pattern. A coat of automotive 2K clear would make it nearly bulletproof.
Thanks....good thought....I may give that a shot.

PS-  I knew the Knob reference would come up somehow.....lol

You can try a white paint pen, from Hobby Lobby or other craft stores. You paint it on and then wipe the knob upside down on a thick set of paper which takes the paint off of the upper surface, leaving the paint in the recess. It works great on a flat surface with recessed lettering, but your knob is curved, but it should work. You have to work quick to wipe the paint off of the upper surface, though.

Office Max also sells a white pen 'permanent marker' with a fine tip. Need to practice with it since the paint can well up out of the tip if you are not careful. Very useful to have on the workbench.

My shifter did not get used that much with just over 12,000 miles. Do not have a great picture just this one. Hope to get this car moved in next month to shop. Of course all the brakes are locked up after sitting for 36 years.

Should be pretty easy to fill in with about any white paint. I use finger nail polish for some of the paint markings and daubs you can get just about any color known to man and cheap.

You must rub on your knob a lot.

D

to fill the pattern, I have heard of using a syringe to "inject" the paint.  Just passing it along, but I think it looks great the way it is
Thanks Jeff!

My shifter did not get used that much with just over 12,000 miles. Do not have a great picture just this one. Hope to get this car moved in next month to shop. Of course all the brakes are locked up after sitting for 36 years.

Should be pretty easy to fill in with about any white paint. I use finger nail polish for some of the paint markings and daubs you can get just about any color known to man and cheap.

You must rub on your knob a lot.

D

Thanks David....

It does get plenty of use...... rofl

You can try a white paint pen, from Hobby Lobby or other craft stores.  You paint it on and then wipe the knob upside down on a thick set of paper which takes the paint off of the upper surface, leaving the paint in the recess.  It works great on a flat surface with recessed lettering, but your knob is curved, but it should work.  You have to work quick to wipe the paint off of the upper surface, though.
 Thanks Midlife...

Office Max also sells a white pen 'permanent marker' with a fine tip.   Need to practice with it since the paint can well up out of the tip if you are not careful.  Very useful to have on the workbench.

Thanks Bill!

Another option is the Duplicolor scratch repair pens. They should have enough control to just fill in the lines.
Thanks Don...

Back