Buck Tag Decoding and Info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Where's your Buck Tag located?

• 71 Drivers Side

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 71 Passenger's Side

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • 72 Drivers Side

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • 72 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • 73 Drivers Side

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • 73 Passenger's Side

Votes: 2 5.4%

• Total voters
warranty number

1f05m114xxx

body code

63R

date code

21J

rotation number

ext color = grabber yellow

D

int trim code = black mach 1

5A

option codes

QM = ???

BTRAC = 1 book says racing mirrors other book says basic trim rings and caps / dual racing mirrors

DE = dual exh

DA = ??? no da

earlier cars had D for disc brakes, later cars had PB = power disc brakes

nothing for A so I don't think the DA would be 2 items

Ok... Roy.. very sorry but the stupid uruguayan doesn´t know what is a buck tag?? is the one that supposed to be mounted on the radiator support??

I´m trying to learn this technical stuff! :)

Ok... Roy.. very sorry but the stupid uruguayan doesn´t know what is a buck tag?? is the one that supposed to be mounted on the radiator support??

Yes it is
Thank´s Roy! and sorry for being so annoying!! :p

Yes it is
Thank´s Roy! and sorry for being so annoying!! :p
Not at all I have always been told the only stupid question is the one that is not asked. Thats the only way people learn is to ask.

warranty number

1f05m114xxx

body code

63R

date code

21J

rotation number

ext color = grabber yellow

D

int trim code = black mach 1

5A

option codes

QM = ???

BTRAC = 1 book says racing mirrors other book says basic trim rings and caps / dual racing mirrors

DE = dual exh

DA = ??? no da

earlier cars had D for disc brakes, later cars had PB = power disc brakes

nothing for A so I don't think the DA would be 2 items
QM is Quarter Moldings (inc. Lower Doors)

DA = ??? I got nothing.

wow

No stupid/dumb questions here. I am learning a lot about buck tags!

Tnfastbk - Rotation code? - As a very wild guess it sounds like an assembly line adjustment to normal line flow.

Like, if a car needs something different installed before the next step...

??? OK Like I said a wild guess...

Ray

wow

No stupid/dumb questions here. I am learning a lot about buck tags!

Tnfastbk - Rotation code? - As a very wild guess it sounds like an assembly line adjustment to normal line flow.

Like, if a car needs something different installed before the next step...

??? OK Like I said a wild guess...

Ray

I have no clue:huh:

Based on the source I think this info is correct. Chuck

Title: Re: Decoding Buck Tag

Post by: J_Speegle on December 05, 2009, 08:44:54 PM

Quote from: 68-776 on December 05, 2009, 07:55:05 PM

If the Buck Tag rotation number is for the first half of the car build, I am confused. Car 776 Buck tag is 555 and the one on my Build Sheet is 378. Did they start over again form 001 for the second half of the build?

1- The order is grouped with other orders to start the built based on having all of the parts needed to complete the car and the typical (dealer stock, customer order, spec car ......) the car is assigned the first rotation number (between 001 and 999) For your example #555

2- When the car was finished with the first half it was placed in a holding area (cars were sent out from this location for things like convertible or vinyl tops) awaiting the second half of assembly

3- Cars are reorganized again in an order (giving consideration to how much time it would take to do a car keeping difficult cars separated by easier cars as mentioned about) car's were assigned a second rotation order number and moving into the line when their number came up ;) by workers. For your example #378

At this point your Shelby number had nothing to do with any thing since it would not be assigned until it was at AO Smith days or weeks later

Hope this is clear enough

this is my buck tag..been there sence the day she was made:D

figure i would see if any decoders could help me decode it a bit...i know you some of you guys are killer at some code work..thanks for lookin

This is always a tricky endeavor but I'll give it a whirl. Standard disclaimer on accuracy of the information provided. 3=1973, F=Dearborn, Q= 351C 4V, 05=2 door sportsroof (Mach), 63R=Mach 1, 0022=rotation number?, 2B=bright red exterior, AC=air conditioning, PB=power brakes, ADX=(should be interior color)?, white=?, AM=AM radio(could be changed at final assembly), CS=full length console, PW=power windows, EC=? BTRAC=black trim and accent, RS=rear seat, FDS=fold down seat, DE=deluxe interior. Let me know how much of the above seems to be correct as this is an ongoing learning process for me. bkdunha may have more accurate and complete decoding for you. Chuck

Last edited by a moderator:
BTrac is dual sport mirrors

This is some good info I borrowed from another site on the 73

1973 Ford Mustang Mach 1 facts , features and numbers.

The following information is intended for reference purposes only. It is a compilation of data from a number of sources including Marti Auto Works and original Ford Motor Company documents and other sources .

1973 Mustang production totals … 134,867

With Mach 1 package 35,439

With 351 Cobra Jet 9,885

With 351 CJ and 4 speed manual transmission 3,316

The 1973 Mustang was available in your choice of 5 different body configurations…

Body Code 65D - VIN code 01 - 2 door hardtop coupe 51,481

Body Code 63D - VIN code 02 - 2 door fastback coupe 10,820

Body Code 76D - VIN code 03 - 2 door convertible 11,853

Body Code 65F - VIN code 04 - 2 door Grande 25,274

Body Code 63R - VIN code 05 - 2 door Mach 1 35,439

Total 134,867

Base prices for each body style …

Convertible, standard $3,102

Coupe, standard $2,760

Coupe, Grande, standard $2,946

Fastback, standard $2,820

Fastback, Mach 1, standard $3,088

With your choice of 4 different engine options including …

VIN code L - 250 CID 6 cylinder making 88 horsepower at 3200 RPM

VIN code F - 302 CID 2V making 135 horsepower at 4200 RPM

VIN code H - 351 CID Cleveland 2-V making 154 horsepower at 4000 RPM

VIN code Q - 351 CID Cleveland “CJ†4V making 266 horsepower at 4200 RPM

Manufactured in 1 of 3 different assembly plants in the good old USA …

VIN code - F - Dearborn, Michigan

VIN code - R - San Jose, California

VIN code - T - Metuchen, New Jersey

1973 Mustangs were equipped with the following options by percentage …

With automatic transmission… 90.4 %

With 3 speed manual transmission… 6.7 percent %

With 4 speed manual transmission… 2.9 %

With power steering … 92.9 %

With power brakes … 77.9 %

With tilt steering wheel … 5.6 %

With tinted glass … 62.8 %

With power windows … 3.2 %

With air conditioning … 56.2 %

With forged aluminum wheels … 5.7 %

Mach 1 info from Wikipedia …

In 1973, the Front end was changed to fit new bumper standards, and a new Mach 1 grille was made. In 1973, all Mustang models had the sportlamps changed to a vertical orientation at each end of the grill, and these lamps served double duty as the parking lamps also. This was necessary since the new-for-73 front bumper was larger and effectively blocked the view underneath the bumper, the previous location of the parking lamps. The Mach 1 graphics were also updated to a simpler, yet bolder design, which was necessitated by the change in the front bumper. Engine options remained the same. One of the most recognizable as well as popular features of the 71-73 Mach 1 is from this era, the 'NASA hood' featuring two NACA scoops. The standard version featured block-off plates in the scoops, so it was a visual, non-functional item. However, they could be made fully functional on models ordered with the 'ram-air' option. This included vacuum controlled 'flappers' at each scoop, and a huge fiberglass underhood 'plenum' that directed cool, outside air into the carburetor for increased performance. The ram-air option included a two-tone hood paint treatment in either 'matte black' or 'argent' (matte silver), coordinated to the color of the Mach 1 decal and striping. In addition, all ram-air equipped Mustangs of this generation came equipped with big twist-style chrome-plated hood lock pins.

Mustang options and pricing …

302 CID 2V standard in Mach 1 , in others ( $87 )

351 CID 2V ( $128 )

351 CID Cobra Jet 4V including 55 amp alternator , heavy duty 55 amp battery , special intake manifold , special valve springs and dampers , large capacity 4300 D carburetor , 2.5 inch diameter dual exhaust , special camshaft , 4 bolt main caps on engine block , requires Cruise-O-Matic automatic transmission with 3.25 rear axle ratio OR 4 speed manual transmission with 3.50 rear axle ratio , power front disc brakes and competition suspension ( $194 )

California emissions ( $14 )

Select shift Cruise-O-Matic transmission ( $204 )

Four speed manual transmission with Hurst shifter , except 6 cylinders ( $193 )

Power front disc brakes , standard on Conv , required with 351 ( $62 )

Power windows ( $113 )

Power steering , required with tilt wheel ( $103 )

Selectaire Air conditioning with heavy duty cooling package ( $368 )

Console in Grande ( $53 ) , in other models ( $68 )

Convenience group including trunk light , glove compartment light , map light , underhood light , lights on warning buzzer , under dash courtesy lights , parking brake warning light and glove compartment lock ( $46 )

Electric window defroster except convertible or 6 cylinder ( $57 )

Tinted glass convertible ( $14 ) others ( $ 36 )

Instrumentation group including tachometer , trip odometer , oil pressure gauge , temperature gauge , ammeter gauge , included with Mach 1 sports interior , not available on 6 cylinder , on Grande without console ( $55 ) others ( $ 71 )

Color Keyed dual racing mirrors standard on Mach 1 and Grande, others ( $23 )

AM radio ( $15 )

AM/FM stereo radio ( $191)

Sport deck rear seat ( fold down ) sports roof , Mach 1 only ( $86 )

Deluxe three-spoke Rim-blow steering wheel ( $35 )

Tilt - away steering wheel , power steering required ( $41 )

Deluxe leather wrapped two spoke steering wheel ( $23 )

Stereo-Sonic tape system , AM radio required ( $120 )

Intermittent windshield wipers ( $23 )

Optional axle ratios ( $12 )

Traction Lok differential ( $43 )

Heavy duty 70 amp battery , standard on air conditioning equipped ( $14 )

Extra cooling package , standard with Selectaire , n/a on 6 cylinders ( $13 )

Dual Ram induction , 351 2 barrel V-8 including functional NACA-type hood with black or argent two-tone paint , hood lock pins , RAM-AIR hood decals ( $58 )

Rear deck spoiler , Sports roof or Mach 1 only ( $29 )

Competition suspension including extra heavy duty front and rear springs , extra heavy duty shock absorbers , standard Mach 1 , not available on six cylinders ( $28 )

DeLuxe seat and shoulder belts , standard convertible except shoulder belts ( $15 )

DeLuxe bumper group with rear bumper inserts & full width horizontal strip ( $25 )

Rear bumper guards ( $14 )

Décor group, including black or argent lower bodyside paint with bright upper edge moldings , unique grille with sport lamps, trim rings with hubcaps , deletes rocker panel and wheel lip mouldings, with décor group ( $51 )

Door edge guards, included with protection group ( $6 )

Color keyed floor mats ( $13 )

Metallic glow paint ( $35 )

Two tone hood paint , Mach 1 ( $18 ) others ( $34 )

Protection group including vinyl-indert body side moldings , spare tire lock , door edge guards, deletes body side tape stripe on Grande, not available on Mach 1 or with décor group ( $23 ) , others ( $36 )

Vinyl roof hardtops including C-pillar tri colo ornament, standard Grande ( $80 )

Three quarter vinyl roof, sportsroof only ( $52 )

Mach 1 sports interior , V-8 sports roof , Mach 1 only including knitted vinyl trim, high back b

This is always a tricky endeavor but I'll give it a whirl. Standard disclaimer on accuracy of the information provided. 3=1973, F=Dearborn, Q= 351C 4V, 05=2 door sportsroof (Mach), 63R=Mach 1, 0022=rotation number?, 2B=bright red exterior, AC=air conditioning, PB=power brakes, ADX=(should be interior color)?, white=?, AM=AM radio(could be changed at final assembly), CS=full length console, PW=power windows, EC=? BTRAC=black trim and accent, RS=rear seat, FDS=fold down seat, DE=deluxe interior. Let me know how much of the above seems to be correct as this is an ongoing learning process for me. bkdunha may have more accurate and complete decoding for you. Chuck
thanks chuck.. thats pretty close..just from seeing the buck tag..right on the money..has everything you said up there....the adx and then white is odd..lol...i figured maybe its talking about the white interior it was orderd white...but wonder why it says adx then white?...maybe korinithian knit is that its talking about..adx....ooohh i think it maybe talking about the white top vinyl it was ordered with?...wonder what EC means too....thanks again!!

BTrac is dual sport mirrors
ohh is that what it means? it does have a black trim package on it too....and i think it does have dual sport mirrors.

Good job Chuck! Just missed a couple of them.

The buck tag was used for all items that required any holes or weld add ons to the body prior to paint. So things like mirrors, dual exhaust, spoiler, all needed holes before paint.

Here are the remaining codes.

ADX = white deluxe interior.

WHITE = white vinyl roof.

CS = collapsible spare tire.

EC = emission control.

BTRAC = Basic Trim Rings And Caps (includes sport racing mirrors).

RS = rear deck spoiler.

DE = dual exhaust.

Back