brake drum retainers F-579

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1971V8

Reaction score
My Car
1971 convertible 302 2V
1999 Dodge Ram V10 longbed
I have an AMK Chassis Fastener Kit, 1971-73 Mustang/Cougar Disc Brake 302/351

with F-579

6 pc. BRAKE DRUM RETAINERS

(GREEN PUSH ON RETAINERS)

and I can not find them in 1971 Mustang Part and Body Illustrations for my 71 front disc

who knows where and if they (6 pieces) are to be pushed on ?

thank you

Wolfgang

They go on three of the wheel lug bolts on each side of the rear after the brake drums are put on. They are usually left off after the first brake job. They keep new brake drums from falling off before the wheels are put on.

Edit: They work fine with stock wheels, but may cause problems with some aftermarket wheels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are these parts located in the blow-out illustration? Or...what number in the illustration are these parts? Just curious...

Some of my cars I gathered way back in the late 80's still had them. Usually only one on each drum (back only). No need for them on the front.

Where are these parts located in the blow-out illustration?  Or...what number in the illustration are these parts?  Just curious...
midlife, I have not seen these clips illustrated in any Ford Shop Manuals or the MPC. They may be shown in some non Ford published manuals but I don't have any to look at and verify. They are listed after the brake drum applications in the text section of the Ford MPC. Ford part #356080-S32     :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just like the copper gaskets under the retainer nuts on the 9" pumpkin, you learn to leave them off after the first time you make the mistake of using them... :D

I always say no more copper, but why did Ford...So more new C washers

Just like the copper gaskets under the retainer nuts on the 9" pumpkin, you learn to leave them off after the first time you make the mistake of using them...  :D
what is the disadvantage of these washers on the 9" axle. I hava a 8" type on my 71 vert?

they are included in my AMK Screw kit

Just like the copper gaskets under the retainer nuts on the 9" pumpkin, you learn to leave them off after the first time you make the mistake of using them...  :D
what is the disadvantage of these washers on the 9" axle. I hava a 8" type on my 71 vert?

they are included in my AMK Screw kit
The studs are only pressed in. So it possible for some lube to soak out and follow the stud and weep under and around the nuts. The copper washer would seal under the nut. It was needed back in the days when only a gasket was used. Today's permatex and others sealers fix that. Myself I still use the copper washers to help hold the center from shifting. High HP and stump pulling gears and sticky tires makes that  possible. The copper washer is pressed in around the stud and down inside when the nut torque down. Their just a pain to get back off.

Back