Alternator and Regulator Wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Sportroof M code
I've thought about making up color-coded wiring diagrams focused on the alternator and voltage regulator for some time. The question came up again the other day on how and what the different wires were connected to.

So, I decided to do it, one diagram for cars without factory ammeters, one for cars with factory ammeters, and a bonus of a 3G wiring diagram.

If anybody spots any errors, please let me know, so I can correct it.

View attachment Ford Alternator Wiring v2.pdf

EDIT: updated diagrams 05132018

EDIT: 2/23/21 - DB Electrical has a new 130 amp 3G alternator for $85

New Alternator 3.8 3.8L Mustang 94 95 96 97 98 99 00/Thunderbird Cougar 94-97 - DB Electrical

Last edited by a moderator:
It's somewhat mis-leading to have the red/green wire coming from the starter solenoid saying it goes to the coil. It does, but indirectly via the engine gauge feed harness connector. Some may think they need a direct wire from the starter solenoid to the coil.

At least you got the 3 and 4 wire voltage regulator versions correct! NPD has corrected their online listings after I contacted them.

OK, I believe I have a 3G system, my wiring plugs look a little different than the diagram. I found the light green wire and re-connected it. When I do the alternator makes a little different sound and a small bulb in dash comes on. My dash cluster is completely out so I'm guessing the bulb is the idiot light for the amps. I can not figure out from the diagram where the white w/black strip wires goes??

thanks

Looks like I added to wrong post, will add to my post now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back