no crank hot

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 MACH 1
2019 F150
After driving and up to temp, if I shut down motor my starter drags and won't crank.  I know my headers heat up the starter.  It takes about 1/2 hour before it cools enough to crank.  Should I purchase a high torque starter , starter heat shield or both ?

Alan L

Have you load tested the battery?

Have you checked all the electrical connections and the cables themselves. Corrosion and/or age related wear will increase resistance in the wiring which can lead to the type of issue you are experiencing. Pay particular attention to the ground side.

If you are certain it is all good then you may want to consider a hi-torque mini starter and/or heat shielding.

@not2old

for 20 years after I got headers i got that hot start prob,

with that annoying 20/30 mins wait with hood open before be able restart.

Tried starter heat shield, heat wrap, changed all starter connections, renewed/cleaned up starter internals, added extra grounds... nope.

Bought an expensive macleod HT starter... better, improved cold starts a lot and reduced the waiting down to +-15 minutes.

and then the macleod died on me.

Just spare you the headaches and buy this great lightweight and affordable starter: it fixed everything. Car cranks as if there is no spark plugs. cold or warm.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/ford-mini-pmgr-racing-starter-302-351-higher-torque-3205-sfd0001.html

@not2old

Tried starter heat shield, heat wrap, changed all starter connections, renewed/cleaned up starter internals, added extra grounds...  nope.

Bought an expensive macleod HT starter... better, improved cold starts a lot and reduced the waiting down to +-15 minutes.

Just spare you the headaches and buy this great lightweight and affordable starter: it fixed everything. Car cranks as if there is no spark plugs. cold or warm.

https://www.dbelectrical.com/products/ford-mini-pmgr-racing-starter-302-351-higher-torque-3205-sfd0001.html
While I don't have any of those problems and just for sh*ts and giggles, I took a look at the starter you suggest. For my manual trans, the part # is 3223. I bookmarked it for future reference. I have but one question; How the heck do they do it for THAT price and free shipping within the lower 48 states?? Shipping outside the US is still very reasonable. I don't need one right now, but I might get one anyway as mine is 47 years old and has been rebuilt at least once. Can't hurt to have a backup!!

Thanks for the link,

Geoff.

ya amazing ain't it... 2 winters ago while rebuilding the engine i found the heads were shot. to fix was 700 bucks. checked a few placed and found a shop in atlanta ga that sells rebuilt for 300/pr rebuilt with free shipping. send back the old heads and i got 50 bucks off (shipping free returned too). the heads were fully done too.

@not2old

Tried starter heat shield, heat wrap, changed all starter connections, renewed/cleaned up starter internals, added extra grounds...  nope.

I run the same one. Works great every time.

I had the same problem, used heat shield didn’t work. I figured it couldn’t hurt to get one of those mini starters haven’t had an issue give more clearance between the header and the starter casing which I am sure helps. If I recall wiring is a little different if you need pics I am sure I can post a few.

@StangLover

[ How the heck do they do it for THAT price]

Question is more, why the heck others offer starters that expensive. At first I hesitated, and thought, hell, for this price, if its crap, i can buy a new one each year and still be cheaper than most HT I saw on Summit and all.

In case you "invest" in that baby, because its lightweight and because I ordered it via E-bay global shipment, shipping to Europe made it just 10 buxx extra and none of the usual grand theft taxes were applied. The kind of products I'd love see more often! Hence why I do not hesitate promote their stuffs. (they have tons of other stuffs too, affordable as well)

The starter on itself is a perfect fit too and it has also an extra tooth vs the original and the mac Leod. This detail adds to its torque power.

No bolts are provided (so bought 2 stainless ones.) but wiring is.

The casing, while ok for a starter, isn't really something I trusted to stand long against dutch rust attacks. So I've primed and painted it, just to add more duration to it.

Even nicer for me, 429 do share same starter with 351s, so very soon, i'll order a second one! Seeing how it cranks the healthy 351c, its gonna be perfect for my freshly rebuild fuel sucker.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back