BOSS 351

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I love the "slop gray" color for the underside of the floor pans. Gotta be "concours correct!"

When I see Vanguard Motors, I assume its 30% over-valued right from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it would need a lot of paintwork to be correct

As Randy pointed out the gray under the hood is ... just sad , maybe they used to much blue on the bottom

of the car and didn't save enough for under the hood.

I see to many other thing to list

As usual with these guys a SHINY USED CAR. This is for sure not a restoration but done to someone's taste. Like others have said under hood is wrong. I put together a short list below not a Boss Expert so some may be correct for Boss.

Entire exhaust system incorrect.

Hood hinges painted not phosphate.

Shock caps painted not phosphate.

Shock tower braces black not SLOP grey.

Hood latch bracket black not SLOP grey.

Rev Limiter needs to checked they do make fake empty ones.

Of course Ford did not paint floors only have primer with some undercoat on floor and in rear wheel wells along with body color over spray.

Drive shaft painted and does not show paint mark codes.

Engine number not there is a big one, Ford did not leave them off so it has to be not number matching.

Steering wheel in bad shape.

Is the radio antenna large diameter on 71? My 72 & 73 all have skinny one.

The tire pressure sticker should be on door post not door end.

I could not read the door sticker or Marti. The interior is not a Mach 1 sports interior and again I am not a Boss expert but I think incorrect materials.

The door speaker grills are for 72 & 73 the 71 only has two vertical bars these have three.

I think the shift handle is after market Hurst not original Boss. Again not expert but I seem to recall lettering different on factory handle.

Trunk mat was never in Boss or Mach 1.

Spatter paint not on side marker lights.

I think you got space saver spare with Magnum 500 but not sure. Otherwise to get space saver had to have fold down.

Torque boxes were not black.

Leaf springs painted and no code markings.

There are two heater hose clamps on each hose at firewall and incorrect not Ford.

Front cross member bent from jacking from center.

Rust pits showing big time in rear end housing. Proper restoration would have filled them.

Shocks are not correct.

There has been not detailing of factory marks or little factory details done. To spend this kind of money it needs to be 100% correct to Ford and MCA specs. All sheet metal needs to be Ford and have correct date codes in the panels. Hood, Trunk, Quarters, Fenders, Grill, Doors, etc.

With this much of a list and just looking at pictures I am sure there are lots of sins hidden. I would not expect a car in this shape to bring half this price. If you put the car correct you would have to tear completely down and do all over which will cost you $40,000 min..

The engine not having the VIN# is the very big one. Does not matter if date code and casting # right the money show is the VIN#.

I would never look for a correct car at one of these big expensive shops. What do you think the overhead is per day on 175 cars and all the people and facilities to house them? This will end up off shore to an unsuspecting not informed customer with too much money.

That is how I see it.

David

As usual with these guys a SHINY USED CAR. This is for sure not a restoration but done to someone's taste. Like others have said under hood is wrong. I put together a short list below not a Boss Expert so some may be correct for Boss.

Entire exhaust system incorrect.

Hood hinges painted not phosphate.

Shock caps painted not phosphate.

Shock tower braces black not SLOP grey.

Hood latch bracket black not SLOP grey.

Rev Limiter needs to checked they do make fake empty ones.

Of course Ford did not paint floors only have primer with some undercoat on floor and in rear wheel wells along with body color over spray.

Drive shaft painted and does not show paint mark codes.

Engine number not there is a big one, Ford did not leave them off so it has to be not number matching.

Steering wheel in bad shape.

Is the radio antenna large diameter on 71? My 72 & 73 all have skinny one.

The tire pressure sticker should be on door post not door end.

I could not read the door sticker or Marti. The interior is not a Mach 1 sports interior and again I am not a Boss expert but I think incorrect materials.

The door speaker grills are for 72 & 73 the 71 only has two vertical bars these have three.

I think the shift handle is after market Hurst not original Boss. Again not expert but I seem to recall lettering different on factory handle.

Trunk mat was never in Boss or Mach 1.

Spatter paint not on side marker lights.

I think you got space saver spare with Magnum 500 but not sure. Otherwise to get space saver had to have fold down.

Torque boxes were not black.

Leaf springs painted and no code markings.

There are two heater hose clamps on each hose at firewall and incorrect not Ford.

Front cross member bent from jacking from center.

Rust pits showing big time in rear end housing. Proper restoration would have filled them.

Shocks are not correct.

There has been not detailing of factory marks or little factory details done. To spend this kind of money it needs to be 100% correct to Ford and MCA specs. All sheet metal needs to be Ford and have correct date codes in the panels. Hood, Trunk, Quarters, Fenders, Grill, Doors, etc.

With this much of a list and just looking at pictures I am sure there are lots of sins hidden. I would not expect a car in this shape to bring half this price. If you put the car correct you would have to tear completely down and do all over which will cost you $40,000 min..

The engine not having the VIN# is the very big one. Does not matter if date code and casting # right the money show is the VIN#.

I would never look for a correct car at one of these big expensive shops. What do you think the overhead is per day on 175 cars and all the people and facilities to house them? This will end up off shore to an unsuspecting not informed customer with too much money.

That is how I see it.

David
David, I 100% agree with your observations. I sat here cringing at the $89 K price tag and then as you mentioned: they could not find the VIN on the block? Really? Total bullshit. I also noticed that if  it is not do to the camera the air cleaner and engine block Ford blue is way too light to be correct. There is so much wrong for that kind of money. It would probably be a good driver if they wanted $30 K. Ron

@David, I think a wealthy guy in search for an exotic ride do not really care about leaf springs painted and no code markings.

It's exotic, it's looking brand new and the 90k price proves its the real deal! No VIN required.

Let's just be positive, its another 7173 mustang saved, for profit only ok, but it's been saved. (would love to see real picts of the car before)

Looking at it, it was also very good for the shops/repro parts maker and it contributes to 7173 reputation as valuable cars.

Sometimes I wonder how it's like to be loaded :)

Last edited by a moderator:
@David, I think a wealthy guy in search for an exotic ride do not really care about leaf springs painted and no code markings.

It's exotic, it's looking brand new and the 90k price proves its the real deal! No VIN required.

Let's just be positive, its another 7173 mustang saved, for profit only ok, but it's been saved. (would love to see real picts of the car before)

Looking at it, it was also very good for the shops/repro parts maker and it contributes to 7173 reputation as valuable cars.

Sometimes I wonder how it's like to be loaded :)
You make an excellent point. It is better that it is selling for substantial money which in turn assures it will continue to exist. I hope the new owner does not wrap it around a pole. We are all just critiquing it since it is being passed off as being a perfect example. Which it is not. 

Ron

Good job David. Not sure I can concur with all you identified but I do for the most part.

Anytime I see the fan shroud on a Boss 351 with the CAUTION FAN sticker or the valve covers with the fake BOSS 351 sticker - I know it the car is wrong and someone did not do their home work!

Attention to details build value in all restorations!

RAY

Here is another one for $20K less. Price seems reasonable..Worth it or not?

https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/2637/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351
That is more reasonable and more correct.

Ron
Ron,

That is a much better example for sure. Many more details but still some room to improve as always.

I was in Charlotte to drive on the track couple years ago and stopped in at RK Motors to look at a couple cars but they would not let me enter. You have to have a pr approved appointment for a certain car to enter the building, lol.

David

What I don't understand is why people take the time and the expense and don't do the restoration correctly. If its done right you will get a better price. So why do a half ass job???

John J

Because thats what these dealer/flippers do. All they care about is getting as much money as possible. The quicker and cheaper they can do a so called restoration, the more they make, plus they don’t care about theses cars like we do.

Remember the blue 73 Mach 1 they sold last year? It was touched up with the wrong color engine paint, and all shiny on top to make look pretty. They wanted 49,990 for it and sold it to some sucker.

I feel bad for people that have more money than brains. If they had really looked at that car and done a little research they would have realized it was only a 24,000 dollar car at the max.

I think this boss has been for sale for quite some time here to and I’m sure it’s because of the ridiculous asking price and horrible half ass restoration.

Here is another one for $20K less. Price seems reasonable..Worth it or not?

https://www.rkmotors.com/vehicles/2637/1971-ford-mustang-boss-351
That is more reasonable and more correct.

Ron
Ron,

That is a much better example for sure. Many more details but still some room to improve as always.

I was in Charlotte to drive on the track couple years ago and stopped in at RK Motors to look at a couple cars but they would not let me enter. You have to have a pr approved appointment for a certain car to enter the building, lol.

David
What a bunch of snobs!! LOL. 

Ron

Ron, you hit the nail on the head."Everyday" enthusiast's like David are not allowed in because he did not make an appointment, a snub to the real collector/enthusiast. As posted before, the majority of these vehicles will be sold to unsuspecting buyers who who placed blind trust in these "Car Flippers"! Very shiney paint and chrome that glistens like diamonds hides a lot from glazed over eyes! And yes, there will always be the "Tire Kickers". If your going to be in the business you should know that comes with the territory. Experienced sales staff will know how to recognize and deal with them vs the serious buyer.

With the money I have in the bank, I tend to wisely stay out of places like RK Motors. My Mopar, Ford and GM friends who do have the financial ability to purchase these level priced cars stated they WOULD NOT purchase anything from RK. Their other comments I cannot post on a public forum! Pig's wearing lipstick is about as clean as it got. Most talked of vehicles that were "Fixed At" and not properly restored as advertised. When you start approaching the $100,000.00 thresh hold for a 71 Boss. it should need nothing done to it after purchase. David's list is pretty accurate as he knows these cars just as good as any of us. 

I know opinions are like A$$ H*les, everyone has one. Mine is based on folks who have had experience with them and stated it would never happen again.

Caveat emptor......Buyer Beware!

Ron, you hit the nail on the head."Everyday" enthusiast's like David are not allowed in because he did not make an appointment, a snub to the real collector/enthusiast. As posted before, the majority of these vehicles will be sold to unsuspecting buyers who who placed blind trust in these "Car Flippers"! Very shiney paint and chrome that glistens like diamonds hides a lot from glazed over eyes! And yes, there will always be the "Tire Kickers". If your going to be in the business you should know that comes with the territory. Experienced sales staff will know how to recognize and deal with them vs the serious buyer.

With the money I have in the bank, I tend to wisely stay out of places like RK Motors. My Mopar, Ford and GM friends who do have the financial ability to purchase these level priced cars stated they WOULD NOT purchase anything from RK. Their other comments I cannot post on a public forum! Pig's wearing lipstick is about as clean as it got. Most talked of vehicles that were "Fixed At" and not properly restored as advertised. When you start approaching the $100,000.00 thresh hold for a 71 Boss. it should need nothing done to it after purchase. David's list is pretty accurate as he knows these cars just as good as any of us. 

I know opinions are like A$$ H*les, everyone has one. Mine is based on folks who have had experience with them and stated it would never happen again.

Caveat emptor......Buyer Beware!
Secluff, I think they feel out people who make an appointment to gauge their ignorance and their wealth. I am pretty sure they do not want knowledgeable guys like us finding all that is wrong or hidden. Salesmen have always annoyed me. I found my car buying experiences were far more stressful than when I bought my house 19 years ago. I am a mechanic and I check out cars for friends and clients that they want to buy. A common thing in RI with the "mom and pop" places is to buy low dollar cars at the auctions do the minimal (this is where the lip stick comes in) and grab a couple of grand profit. I have given the thumbs down on many potential purchases. I tell everyone that cars get dumped at the auction for a reason IE: high mileage trades from dealers or more often they are lemons. Sorry I went off topic there. Ron

I'll have to check and see if I have notes but I think this car was rebuilt by a guy in New Jersey in his garage. At that time ( a year or two ago) it was on ebay or another site and bidding may have gotten into the 50's and the car didn't sell. I think it was close.

Next, I saw the car pop up at a small dealer in Rhode Island who used to send me email blasts. It was priced below the current number but ultimately wound up at Vanguard where I just laughed at the price. Might have been an ok buy if the purchase was negotiated with the New Jersey fellow. Once the dealers got ahold of it......

Back