Hello All,

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Qcode 4SPD Convertible
Hello All,

Just stumbled across your forum.

Looks interesting and I like to talk cars anyway.

One of the first cars I ever owned was a 69 Mach 1 .

I drove that car for 289K hard miles before the 351W finally threw a lung. I still have fond memories of that car and those times.

Fast forward to today.

I've wanted a Classic Muscle Car for some time and my only criteria was it had to be a convertible and a 4 speed.

After almost a year of searching, somehow the road led me to my 73 Q code.

I've had it for 2 years now.

That first summer I spent my time driving Topless and enjoying the sound of the wind and the roar of the 40's.

That winter I spent replacing cosmetics ie bumpers and chrome strips etc.

Mechanicals also needed some attention like new 50's to protect my hearing

and a general tune up.

I switched out gearing to 2.91:1 for better freeway RPM's but I may switch back to 3.00:1. 3.25 was stock, it came with 3.50's in the rear.

Im getting clutch chatter now so it may need replacing.

At some point the factory Holley 750 with Ford's Tuned Intake disappeared and was

replaced by a 650 on a Edelbrock . The why is a mystery.

I'll also hook up the RAM air for a little extra boost. The Q code loves to rev and I won't deny it gas or oxygen.

This last winter I spent completely stripping the interior out and replacing everything I could. The floor pans looked good so I sealed them with POR and installed Hush Mats. I painted the door jams, A pillar and windshield posts, and inner doors ... I used the PPG 2 step and it turned out pretty nice but i'll need a lot more practice before doing a full repaint.

I'm doing all of the restoration work myself otherwise the kids would have to forgo college.

This summer I plan to once again go Topless and feel the wind in my hair.

A little history......

Supposedly I am the 3rd owner. I say supposedly because after getting the car home and digging deeper I found discrepancies.

The car was originally purchased in Los Angeles and ordered with all available bells and whistles of the time including a couple of rare ones.

This included the TiltAway steering column and a rear disk brake package that was dealer installed.

After sometime driving the strip in LA it moved to Wyoming . The second owner took it to Colorado before moving to Arkansas which is where I found it. He told me that all sheet metal was original and that he had had it stripped to bare metal and repainted.

This I found to be incorrect. Somewhere in it's life it had been spun out and hit something solid. The trunk bore the evidence of previous body

work. I have also found that both front fenders have been replaced and a rocker panel was repaired. The remaining original 1/4 panel also has

evidence of a sheet metal patch.

This vehicle is also supposed to have 146K original miles but in light of the above I don't know if that is accurate.

The engine runs excellent and I have no reason to tear it down....yet

So here is a question for the experts.

When I do tear the engine down should I find "fomoco" bearings. Can that be used as a gauge to determine approximate miles?

Color; I wasn't crazy about it at first but it's growing on me. Most people love it or hate it.

I will say this.

I have never had so many ladies of all ages want to come up to me

and talk about what a beautiful color it is. I wish I'd had this chick magnet about 25 years ago.

It started out as a Light Blue code and is now closer to Grabber Light Blue.

When I repaint it I will make it brighter.

I live in a rural area and even the local cowboys love the color

unless another cowboy is present of course then it's a sissy blue.

2010-12-26_12-28-31_147.jpg

2010-12-26_12-28-53_313.jpg

2010-12-26_12-27-35_59.jpg

2010-12-26_12-27-53_623.jpg

2010-12-26_12-31-07_545.jpg

2010-12-26_12-27-06_701.jpg

2010-12-26_12-25-08_162.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello All,

Just stumbled across your forum. I'm new to the restoration hobby

and just getting started on my 73 long hood.

I bought my 73 a couple of years ago, the first winter I spent replacing

cosmetics ie bumpers and chrome strips etc. This last winter I spent completely stripping the interior out and replacing everything I could. This next winter I'll probably spend detailing the engine compartment.

I spent close to a year searching before I found my stang. I wanted a convertible with a 4 speed. I didn't realize at the time that all 73 4 speeds also came with the Q code engine which drove the price up out of my budget

range.

It was worth the wait.

I'll get some pics loaded up soon.

Welcome. You are right, it was worth the wait. Sounds like a great car to me.

Chuck

Welcome to the forums! We are glad you found us!

::welcome::

we had a old ford truck that same color..my dad drove me to school in it and drove it too work..he never washed it.. it allways looked clean and paint looked good..i ended up with it...i never washed it and drove the same truck into my late 20's..it never looked bad....i swear..thats the tuffest color ever made!!..lol

btw..great lookin car!

as for milage...little hard to tell by motor wear...counts who abused it was or not..barrings will look good if oil pressure is great...but if some one did alot of cold start ups and driving while its cold..it would pit barrings and show alot more wear then normal use....maybe the piston walls..check for cross hatching...if its baby smooth ...then you know its worn and original walls probably at that milage...but i dout it is..sence it isnt smoking..i wouldnt dout if it was rebuilt..but you never know.

146,000 original mite be right..thats about normal milage i see on alot of machs from are time...i think mine says..100,000ish...and mine was rebuilt..i didnt know either..owned it for allmost 20ish years..and just now getting into the motor to find out..its been rebuilt at some time in its life.

Last edited by a moderator:
WELCOME aboard!

It would appear that you did well in deed in your acquisition. You have what appears to be a beautiful original 1973 Mustang Convertible. If you have not done so already, you might want to order the "Marti Report" to validate some of the claims made as to how your Mustang was originally ordered.

As to your question about the bearings, I would venture to say that if you tear the motor down and find standard size bearings, that should be proof as to the validity of the claim that the motor has not been previously rebuilt, especially if the other internal engine parts appear to be original.

Again, I think you have a "GOOD" one and welcome to the Site. I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

BT

Welcome to the site from Virginia. Glad you found the site, sounds like you will have some good info to share! I like the color; I remember seeing one that color all the time around town back in the 70's. It had the Exterior Decor Group with the honeycomb grill and blackout around the bottom. Great story on the history of the car. I would venture to say the engine has had a valve job in it's past or the valve seals would be shot and burning a lot of oil.

Also, check out this thread and cast your vote for the convertibles: http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-body-style-poll?highlight=poll

WELCOME aboard!

It would appear that you did well in deed in your acquisition. You have what appears to be a beautiful original 1973 Mustang Convertible. If you have not done so already, you might want to order the "Marti Report" to validate some of the claims made as to how your Mustang was originally ordered.

As to your question about the bearings, I would venture to say that if you tear the motor down and find standard size bearings, that should be proof as to the validity of the claim that the motor has not been previously rebuilt, especially if the other internal engine parts appear to be original.

Again, I think you have a "GOOD" one and welcome to the Site. I look forward to interacting with you on the Forums.

BT
Excellent point.

I could mic the bearings.

Tx

73Q4SPD

Welcome tot he forum.

I like the color as well as the chrome front bumper!

As for the information on previous owners and mileage, there is only thwo things that can usually be taken as a fact: It's had previous owners and it has some miles on it. All the rest is usually just a bunch of BS. I was supposed to be the third owner until I found somebody who actually seemed to be the second owner of the car and did he have some stories to tell!

He knew the car had been sold many times and someday he lost track of it after it had almost been totaled in accident. He supposed it got crushed.

Seem that only after that the guy I bought it from bought it.

It's like newer used cars always belonged to old ladies who only drove it to get groceries..... Even if it's pimped ricer!

If you believed in those stories, you'd have to assume that the roads are clogged with nothing but old ladies driving at walking pace in cars loaded with grocery bags. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back