My 72 HT 429/C6 project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DerAlte

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang HT + 429 + C6
I bought the car end of August 2017. Former onwer planned to build the car himself but due health issues was forced to sell it, so I got plenty new parts along the car.

1" lower suspension (Grab-A-Trak), rear disc brake set (BAER Ironsport), new shock absorvers (KYB Gas-A-Just), new stabilizer bars (1,5" front and 1" back), new lower and upper arms and more smaller parts.

It had interior already taken off and all the sound dampening material as well. Rear window had a leak from the driver side lower corner and the water wet the material, luckily floor panels didn't suffer much, only some rust on the top.

I noticed that I didn't have good pics from the whole car, because we dropped the car from trailer straight to garage before taking any pics.

Let's get started,

Sorry about the pics being in wrong angle, there are right on my pc but here they rotate somehow...

I stared from the back as I needed to change the drum brakes to disc and passenger side axle seal was leaking.

Rear end before taking it off.

I took the old paint off and put new one on it and assembled everything in place.

Then I moved to front, replaced lower and upper arms and installed thicker stabilizer bar.

So many people has hassled with wirings so I decided to replace old ones completely with EZ wiring harness (not done that yet), just ripped off old ones and the old dashboard and heater as well.

I got advices to replace the heater cell and blower motor now when it's easy access. So I'll do that too.

At this point winter his us hard and I had to stop working on the car as my garage is not heated and the outside temp was around -20 Celsius (-4 Fahrenheit).

When spring came I started working again and made a deal with paintshop to get my pony painted, old paint was sun burned and color had faded badly. Also I found out some corrosion damage that needed welding and I don't have the skills to fix it myself, so I needed some outside help. But he did really good work!

Corrosion damage and the repair.

I took off all the windons, bumpers and front/back valances. At the paintshop they found more corrosion damage and fixed them during the process.

Now I am waiting the get it back garage and get to working with it again. Only small stuff that I can do when waiting, assembling the heater and cleaning all mouldings etc.

Looking good and you are making progress. What color are you painting it? Is original color bright red? Hard to tell with the faded paint.
It's going to be Bright Red (2B). I also tought about changing color, but that would have taken much more time and money. And I want to cruise with it this summer :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good and you are making progress. What color are you painting it? Is original color bright red? Hard to tell with the faded paint.
It's going to be Bright Red (2B). I also tought about changing color, but that would have taken much more time and money. And I want to cruise with it this summer :)
Same color as mine was originally and is going to be again, will be good to see how yours turns out as it will most likely be in color before mine

Same color as mine was originally and is going to be again, will be good to see how yours turns out as it will most likely be in color before mine
Hopefully next week (deadline we both agreed), I'll post pic asap when it's ready.

Last edited by a moderator:
She almost ready only need to finish surface. So close but still so far...

And finally I was able to continue work with her. I got her back from paintshop few weeks ago, but got other work to do.

Helped friend to finish his little car project, build a fence around the yard and cut down some trees at the same time and made firewood of them.

To-do list:

- clean up floorpans, paint and sound dampening.

- well, putting all back in place :)

#Fabrice I'll try to keep in garage or covered outside all the time when not running it.

#Pegleg Thanks!

My goal get everything within month. Yesterday I finished cleaning up the floorpans and today I'll start painting them. Weekend I should be doing sound dampening and started working with the electrics.

Getting something done, slowly but steadily...

Sound dampening done and started working with electrics.

Hi all!

My vacation is over and during it I almost finished her :)

I was ready for my first test run, but both my front disc brakes were stuck when motor was running and brakes gained pressure. Ordered new brake hoses, as it seems calibers are ok.

So I am 98% done... there is still summer left even in here  :D 

And our dalmatian acted as supervisor now and then...

Back