Front Torque Boxes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavy Metal

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertible
302 C4
[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://ibb.co/mVhg5o][img]https://preview.ibb.co/eJbkWT/Lot.jpg[/img][/url]
Hello,

Looking for alittle advise on front torque boxes.

Bought new RH side and it's an inch wider than needed.  Again 65-70 was in the description from Dyancorn via Mustangs Unlimited.

So is there another source for 71-73 front torque boxes, or do I cut this monster brace to fit ??

Thanks for all your help,

HVY MTL

I thought I would add a few photos.

For the guys trying this, the Torque Boxes are also welded on the inside .....to the side frame rails.

I finally cut mine out with a cut-off-wheel and sawzall......what a job.

To save time, cut them out and go back and clean up frame rails.  This will give you room to work and get to those inner welds inside the boxes.

I still have alot of work to do and will be replacing the inner rocker as well.

Drivers side needs the same repairs.

I hope this helps someone.

HVY MTL

Go ahead and get the dash out of there/  It will  make life easier and protect all that plastic.

kcmash

Another helpful tip for everyone

That is NOT a Dynacorn torque box

Dynacorn torque boxes are not spot welded together anymore, they are in three pieces so they are easier to work with.

They are also coated and not bare -

Another helpful tip for everyone

That is NOT a Dynacorn torque box

Dynacorn torque boxes are not spot welded together anymore, they are in three pieces so they are easier to work with.

They are also coated and not bare -
Thank you for the clarification.

Pic shows a Spectra Premium label on the part - definitely not Dynacorn.

If you paid $93 for a Dynacorn and they sent you the $42 spectra Premium, you might want to have a phone conversation with them ASAP.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Body/Torque-Boxes/

Again, none of these are 71-73 compatible without a bunch of work. MU is famous for mis-categorizing parts and screwing up applications. I've returned plenty over the years to them for stuff like this.

If you paid $93 for a Dynacorn and they sent you the $42 spectra Premium, you might want to have a phone conversation with them ASAP.

Again, none of these are 71-73 compatible without a bunch of work. MU is famous for mis-categorizing parts and screwing up applications. I've returned plenty over the years to them for stuff like this.
Thanks for the response.

It was confusing trying to score the right parts on MU site.

My seat pan and inner rocker are also on "Back Order" for 2 weeks.

NDP has both in stock....so lesson learned there.

Gives me plenty of time to clean up old welds and rust.....lol.

Thanks for the response.

It was confusing trying to score the right parts on MU site.

My seat pan and inner rocker are also on "Back Order" for 2 weeks.

NDP has both in stock....so lesson learned there.

Gives me plenty of time to clean up old welds and rust.....lol.
Seat pan ?  What year part did they sell you for that ?

... and the inner rockers they sell are not wide enough for the 71-73s. Mine had a 1/2" gap that needed to be filled in at the rear spring mount (torque box).

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Body/Rocker-Panels-Patches/Inner-Rocker-Panel-Passenger-Side-1969-1973-Mustang-Convertible.axd

Here's a perfect example of the them listing applications incorrectly - the seat pans are listed as coupe and fastback. Fastback pans are quite a bit shorter than a coupe.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Body/Floor-Trunk-Seat-Pans/Seat-Panels-Related/Seat-Base-Panel-Passenger-Side-1971-1973-Mustang-Cougar-Coupe-Fastback.axd

My part # M112ARH02 on the inner rocket is alittle different than the one you attached.

So I'm not sure until I get it in my hands to measure and dry fit.

But thank you for the heads up, this green horn appreciates the help.

My seat pan is part# M233RH02 this was for coupe/fastback.

So for my 73 vert, I may have to lower it by 1/2" from what I have been reading.

Again, any experiences are welcome.

Thanks Guys !!

Wow what a mess. I am just about ready to cut the floor out of my 72 Q Vert. I was actually going to drive to NPD in Charlotte and look at the pan first hand before I do so. The PO of my car had put patch panels on each side and I think it looks like crap. I will use the seat risers and under floor pans off my other 72 parts car but going to go with the full pan instead of the patches. Has anyone put the full pan in before.

On the rocker boxes. I am parting out a 72 that had Zbart sprayed inside the boxes and even with the zinc coating they had lots of rust, probably 50% of the thickness gone. The boxes in the 72 Q much more solid but then I do take the floor out I am going to form so HSLA steel and add to the inside of the boxes. I do intend to put a 6 point roll cage in so you need something to beef that area up. When you are doing yours and you can get inside I would suggest that you take some High Strength rectangle tubing and weld in to add some strength. I know some add the sub frame connectors but you can gain much more by working with the rocker boxes.

My friend that does restorations has the kind of issues you are seeing all the time. He did a 1968 mustang and the left front fender was nearly an inch too long. I believe it was Dynacorn. He has not done a 71 73 floor has anyone put the whole floor in from Dynacorn? He tells me he can do a Camaro full pan in a couple days.

When I was at Daniel Carpenters shop in April I was talking with him about the sheet metal being so sorry. He told me that as far as he knew all the Taiwan metal was stamped in the same shop no matter the name on it at the end. He was headed to China in June to run off a Ford truck steering wheel mold.

A couple other big issues my friend has with the repo metal is having rust hidden under the black e-coat so he grinds it all off on the outside surface when using. The other issue is the steel is so soft if you lean on a fender or quarter panel you will dent it. You can take one finger and push the panel in so you have to be very careful after the panels are on on to damage.

I was an automotive tooling engineer for years and they are probably using very low carbon content material in order to make it easier to form.

Rain never stops here I cannot believe we are at like 16 to 18 inches for the month May.

David

My part # M112ARH02 on the inner rocket is alittle different than the one you attached.

So I'm not sure until I get it in my hands to measure and dry fit.

But thank you for the heads up, this green horn appreciates the help.

My seat pan is part# M233RH02 this was for coupe/fastback.

So for my 73 vert, I may have to lower it by 1/2" from what I have been reading.

Again, any experiences are welcome.

Thanks Guys !!
Hey make sure you are getting the 69-73 rocker hemi posted it is 77 inches long made by SMR in CT

If that isn't the one you ordered, cancel and get the correct one now since it is back ordered and not shipped there should be

no hassle doing so.

The platform you ordered will be too tall, too wide, even the fastback one would be a pain to modify for a convertible

Do you only need the passenger side upper platform? I may have a decent used one

You can modify the 65 - 70 lower reinforcement boxes to fit though.

Thank you for the info.

So maybe the question I should ask for 73 Vert.....is there a site you trust for ordering inner rockers, floor pans, seat pans, front & rear torque boxes.

And thank God for beer.....

order them from don and they will be the right ones got all my 73 parts from him and they all fit right  ohio mustang

I though I would post a few photos of my progress.

New front and rear torque boxes and inner rocker passenger side.

Welded the floor pan and convertible floor brace in today.

It's been quit a job, about 80hrs init so far. But being a rookie I took my time cutting and fitting.

Once I got a clear path it came together easily. Lots of welds to clean up.

The drivers side is next.

I really enjoy reading all the posts and information that is available on this site........great job guys !!

Sant Tukaram poems

Looking good! That's a heck of a job, did a set on a '73 convertible about 20 years ago.

Just a recommendation, before you start grinding, be sure to protect the dash and any glass. Grinding slag will embed itself in glass and rust the first time moisture hits it.

Back