Reman Power Brake Booster Slack.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

72 H-code

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Mach 1
Hello everybody,

Been doing some research on the forum about this issue I've been having with my brake pedal travel.

I noticed that I have about an inch maybe more of just pedal slack. (The brakes are not engaging whatsoever front/rear)

My system is completely stock from booster to calipers (mostly new-repro)

Last night after reading older threads on the subject, I adjusted the booster push rod as per the specs in the service manual. Unfortunately it didn't change anything, as I still have the same amount of slack in the pedal.

However,  I did notice that the rubber plunger (inside the booster when looking through the hole where the adjustable push rod is located) wasn't moving when my brother was moving the pedal back and forward in the "slack zone".

Interestingly, I have another booster that when I engage the rod on the pedal end (The side of the booster inside the car) it immediately moves the rubber plunger inside of it.

I'm confused right now and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this issue before.

All input appreciated!

Thanks

How much did you lengthen the pushrod?

Did you replace anything else in the brake system?
0.990 with +/- 0.005" to ensure I wasn't compressing the master cylinder when I re-installed it.

The whole brake system has been replaced with stock spec parts. (No aftermarket)

If your drum brakes are not adjusted out to where they just give you a hint of drag you can have excess pedal travel.

As far as the pushrod goes, you should be good to go as long as it has a tiny bit of play before it engages with the master cylinder.

If your drum brakes are not adjusted out to where they just give you a hint of drag you can have excess pedal travel.

As far as the pushrod goes, you should be good to go as long as it has a tiny bit of play before it engages with the master cylinder.
I forgot to mention that the rear drums were adjusted accordingly, just slight drag. I had to do that to get the parking brake to operate properly.

Should the pushrod move out when you barely touch the brake pedal? 

IMO , I get the feeling the other rod (eyelid) attached to the pedal assembly inside the car is not working properly/too short could this be possible?

In that its traveling before it contacts the rubber plunger inside the booster. > that would explain the slack and why there is no movement of the pushrod at the master cylinder end.

clueless.....

It could be the valve rod, wrong one and too short. Unless you changed your pushrod, it has to be something wrong in the booster, wouldn't be the first new or remanufactured one that is messed up.

It could be the valve rod, wrong one and too short. Unless you changed your pushrod, it has to be something wrong in the booster, wouldn't be the first new or remanufactured one that is messed up.
My gut is telling me that too. Its not due to anything past the booster. Nope I did not touch the valve rod or the pushrod those came with the unit when purchased a while ago.

i will remove the booster and check it out thoroughly and post some pictures.

Thanks again Don for your opinion.

OK here is a recap of the booster issue. It turns out, that it was a combination of two points I had overlooked last week.

#1. The booster push-rod required adjustment and we made sure that the reaction rubber disk was present inside the "slot".

#2. I found excessive play in the connection of the brake pedal pin to the eyelid of the booster valve rod. I installed a plastic bushing in the eyelid. Made it even tighter by wrapping hockey tape around the outside of the bushing to ensure absolute zero play. See pic.

Brakes were then bled and we made last minute adjustments to the rear drums.

Took it out for a test-drive in our neighborhood: what a difference!

Even got the rebuilt transmission (FMX) to unlock ( the governor was stuck) by hard driving.

In all, it was a great weekend solving problems!

Back