Question about " ROCKAUTO"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Régis

Reaction score
My Car
Mach 1 1973 Q code
Hi guys!!

Just a short question: what is the quality of the parts sold by this site?

Price are very interesting when your are buying from France…

Thank you!

Régis

Quality depends on what you order.

They sell whatever old stock they can get their hands on, so often you can get some good parts that were made a while back. That being said they can and do sell anything made by anyone, so as a buyer you need to research what you are buying before you purchase. I have purchased quite a bit from them and have had good experiences.

I've used them several times, with no problems with quality. However, I usually select a known brand. The only time I didn't was when I bought Centric brake discs and rotors for our motorhome, and they turned out to be very good quality. They have always shipped promptly.

Have bought plenty from them over the years. Their catalog is excellent and they carry a variety of quality levels of parts. Everything from "bubble gum and baling wire" to OEM or better quality. They ship fast and I've never gotten a bad part from them.

Their pricing is excellent, especially when you compare it to the big box auto parts stores that drove out the little guys with cheap parts, then raised the prices to higher than NAPA, Acme etc for sub-standard stuff.

OK thank you for your answers.

I think I place an order soon.

Régis.

Just to add my experiences with Rock Auto. What I like is the fact that, being in Canada, I can pay directly from by bank account in Canadian dollars usually at a far better exchange rate than  Visa.

I have had no issues with them as they are just an online store and stock nothing. Everything is pretty much the same as other retailers, but without the overhead.

I did have problem with a fuel sender that was listed for the Mustang, but the outlet tube faced the wrong way. When I pointed that out and they looked into it, they were more than happy to return and refund plus give me a deal on a better brand. The fuel tank I bought, made in Canada, was actually cheaper than if I'd bought it here and that's with shipping to my door.

Buy with confidence, but as others have mentioned, chose the better known brands.

Geoff.

I have also had good experiences with them. Just make sure you do your research on your end to make sure the part your looking for actually fits your vehicle (right spec and everything).

Their shipping is also pretty good especially considered where I'm from.

Their customer service is pretty efficient and straightforward too.

I've had to return one part last year and that was an ignition control module for another classic I own. (they paid return shipping)

Overall, I recommend them.

They are basically an on line Middle Man. They manufacture nothing but provide you the ability to do some "One Stop Does it All" shopping. Since they offer many different brands, just pick the one you've had a positive experience with or heard good reviews on and get your plastic ready. If you do have a problem, just as Geoff posted, they will "Fix" it.

I talked to the Motorcraft distributor (located in Charlotte NC) I bought from when I was buying for the Dealership and a wholesale truck, and he said they shipped about 90% of Rock Auto's Motorcraft orders. The Motorcraft Distributor's parts come from Ford so they are the same quality parts the Dealers get. No seconds or reject parts.

So pick your favorite brand, get your card out, and start filling out that order!!   :D

I have got some great deals there and the quality has never been a problem since I stick with the top brands.  Cardone Selecr, Autolite, Fram, etc.

They have some nice remanufactured Autolite 4300's for sale,  I got all the filters for my ram air air cleaner there,  also got a disk brake hardware and caliper cover set from them for the 71.  Bendix brand, $11.  I also got a new washer pump for 5 bucks or so.  Got my door edge guards from them too!!

Cheaper than I can buy parts most anywhere else, but the selection is limited. Always worth a check though.

kcmash

Thank you all for your replies!!!

Order on the way!!!!

Régis

Now I heard a bunch of parts come from India!?
 Yes, that reminded me. I bought a set of engine mounts and chose not to use them. The reason was the top mounting surface to the block was not flat, sort of rounded and the originals looked to be still very usable. I can easily "fix" the problem by using a hydraulic press to flatten the mount area. Other than that, they "look" good.

You'd be surprised how much "stuff" come from India these days and not all bad.

Tatta is a huge car manufacturer there and they also own Jaguar (amongst others) and have done a great job with the brand since Ford screwed it up. GM were making the Chevy Cruise in India too, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Geoff.

Now I heard a bunch of parts come from India!?
 Yes, that reminded me. I bought a set of engine mounts and chose not to use them. The reason was the top mounting surface to the block was not flat, sort of rounded and the originals looked to be still very usable. I can easily "fix" the problem by using a hydraulic press to flatten the mount area. Other than that, they "look" good.

You'd be surprised how much "stuff" come from India these days and not all bad.

Tatta is a huge car manufacturer there and they also own Jaguar (amongst others) and have done a great job with the brand since Ford screwed it up. GM were making the Chevy Cruise in India too, but I'm not sure if that is still the case.

Geoff.
I've had lots of engine mounts that were marked "Made in India" and they all worked fine. Not the prettiest things, but functional. 

While searching for a hinge manufacturer several years ago I ran across this video of a company in India. If you've ever worked in a manufacturing plant in the US, this will blow your mind. 

Back