Hello from Japan

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hotaru

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1
Greetings from Japan,

I was able to buy 2 1973 Mach1 Q-code in quite a rough shape. (all matching numbers).

My plan is to restore 1 out of two cars - it has to be the red one because this car came with papers.

Black one would be donor car - if anything is usable :)

Both of these cars has been sitting for a very long time so not sure about condition of engine, but it turns by hand :)

Not sure why but the front grill/lights are different on both of them - but vin confirms that both are 1973

Hope I can do it :)

Few photos (more I will post on Build Thread):

Red one:

Hello from Mississippi. Glad to welcome a new International member. The reason the front grills look different between the two cars is the red one is a 73 and the dark car is a 71-72 style. You mentioned both were Q code cars so more than likely the dark one is a 72 since 71 Q code Mustangs are extremely rare. I do see some things such as the front fender upper marker lamps that were just one of many things that were required in Japan on the import vehicles.

We are fortunate to have a forum member that owns a 71 429 CJ Mach1 that was imported to Japan when new. Mwilson7 would probably be glad to answer any questions you may have on those special Mustangs as he is very knowledgeable on them.

Welcome to your new Mustang home.

Welcome to the site from Seattle. I'm wondering if the red car has been repainted. You don't see red paint with avocado interior every day. If its original there's gotta be a story behind it.

Scott

Welcome from Finland!

Why don't you restore them both? :)

Good to hear you salvage atleast one them :)

Red one - actually it has been repainted. Original color was Dark Green Metalic.

I can only restore "red" one - the other black has no papers (no title).

Last edited by a moderator:
Bits of rust or lots of rust, in the end, you need the same amount of paint!

That's what I keep saying to myself!

Looking forward to see your progresses!

Welcome from the northern Netherlands

Welcome from Illinois! Definitely have a little work ahead of you but you will find a lot of help here.

Welcome from North Carolina, USA.

Are you sure the red color is not original color? I checked in Marti's book yes there was one red Fastback or Mach 1 that was red exterior and green interior. Would be an odd combination for sure. There was also one red exterior with blue interior.

If your door sticker is still present check the trim and color code. Red is 2B and the interior code for the green car was AG.

I helped my nephew start importing cars from Japan. He has brought I think 4 over so far with no issues. I would think it might be more difficult to go from USA to Japan. The import duties use to be like 100% of the selling price to keep the U.S. cars out. It is more difficult to ship a non running vehicle since it has to go into a container. Driving cars are driven onto the ship and just parked in the hold.

It might be less cost to find a really good body in the US and have it shipped over and use your engine from there. Japan being surrounded by salt water I am sure does not help the cars not to rust.

David

Back