Marti Report vs other sources

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I found this info interesting where Kevin Marti answered the question, "How come the statistics on my Marti report don't match the numbers in the "by the Numbers" book or other sources?

This seems to confuse people and come up here fairly regularly.

Here is his answer:

http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=141

There are several possible answers:

If you found a statistic published in the Shelby Registry or a magazine or an ad for someone selling their car, it is likely the statistic published by one of those sources is in error. We are working with SAAC, the Shelby Club, to correct some of their incomplete data (which led to erroneous statistics) so that the next issue of the Shelby Registry will be accurate. When it comes to magazines and ads, many times statistics were "made up" for whatever reason, sometimes as a "guess" and sometimes to perpetrate a fraud.

If you found a statistic on your report that doesn't match with one of our "by the Numbers" books, many times the "discrepancy" is a matter of interpretation. For example, a 1967 Mustang with a 390 has an engine code of "S." However, a Shelby GT-500 for the same year also has an engine code of "S" even though the engine is a modified 428 Police Interceptor. Note that the Marti report says, "With these engine/transmission codes" which is not the same as this engine/transmission combination. This is why it is useful to read the footnotes and other commentary in the "by the Numbers" books.

Another example of this can be the definition of the word "option." Some items, like tachometers, are optional on certain cars, while they are included equipment on the same model with particular engine/transmission combinations. For example, a 1969 Mustang with a V-8 could be ordered with a tachometer. However, an FE engine (390 or 428CJ) that was ordered with a manual transmission had the tachometer installed as part of that engine/transmission combination. In this case, the tachometer was not an option on the vehicle. It was an item included with a package. It would not be listed on the window sticker (or the Marti Report) even though it was installed on the vehicle. So, the number of Mustangs ordered with tachometers as an option is not the same as the number of Mustangs with tachometers.

Special paint statistics can be particularly confusing. If you happen to have a Pink 1968 Mustang Convertible and your report shows that 286 had that paint code, note that it did not tell you that 286 were painted Pink, merely that 286 had that paint code. And what is the paint code for a special paint car? It is a " " which is to say the code is blank. Since all special paint cars are blank, the 286 represents all of the special paint 1968 Mustang convertibles, of which the Pink cars are a subset. Since Ford did not keep track of what color they painted special paint cars in the database, there is no way to ascertain the correct number. The best that can be said in this example is that less than 286 were painted Pink.

As always, if you want a clearer understanding of the statistics quoted on your report, study available literature for other subtleties like the aforementioned and read the statistics section of the Marti reports literally.

More information can be found at their FAQ pages,  http://www.martiauto.com/faqsearch.cfm

Answer provided by

Kevin Marti

Last updated March 2, 2012

Ray

I found this info interesting where Kevin Marti answered the question, "How come the statistics on my Marti report don't match the numbers in the "by the Numbers" book or other sources?

This seems to confuse people and come up here fairly regularly.

Here is his answer:

http://www.martiauto.com/faqfocus.cfm?qid=141

There are several possible answers:

If you found a statistic published in the Shelby Registry or a magazine or an ad for someone selling their car, it is likely the statistic published by one of those sources is in error. We are working with SAAC, the Shelby Club, to correct some of their incomplete data (which led to erroneous statistics) so that the next issue of the Shelby Registry will be accurate. When it comes to magazines and ads, many times statistics were "made up" for whatever reason, sometimes as a "guess" and sometimes to perpetrate a fraud.

If you found a statistic on your report that doesn't match with one of our "by the Numbers" books, many times the "discrepancy" is a matter of interpretation. For example, a 1967 Mustang with a 390 has an engine code of "S." However, a Shelby GT-500 for the same year also has an engine code of "S" even though the engine is a modified 428 Police Interceptor. Note that the Marti report says, "With these engine/transmission codes" which is not the same as this engine/transmission combination. This is why it is useful to read the footnotes and other commentary in the "by the Numbers" books.

Another example of this can be the definition of the word "option." Some items, like tachometers, are optional on certain cars, while they are included equipment on the same model with particular engine/transmission combinations. For example, a 1969 Mustang with a V-8 could be ordered with a tachometer. However, an FE engine (390 or 428CJ) that was ordered with a manual transmission had the tachometer installed as part of that engine/transmission combination. In this case, the tachometer was not an option on the vehicle. It was an item included with a package. It would not be listed on the window sticker (or the Marti Report) even though it was installed on the vehicle. So, the number of Mustangs ordered with tachometers as an option is not the same as the number of Mustangs with tachometers.

Special paint statistics can be particularly confusing. If you happen to have a Pink 1968 Mustang Convertible and your report shows that 286 had that paint code, note that it did not tell you that 286 were painted Pink, merely that 286 had that paint code. And what is the paint code for a special paint car? It is a " " which is to say the code is blank. Since all special paint cars are blank, the 286 represents all of the special paint 1968 Mustang convertibles, of which the Pink cars are a subset. Since Ford did not keep track of what color they painted special paint cars in the database, there is no way to ascertain the correct number. The best that can be said in this example is that less than 286 were painted Pink.

As always, if you want a clearer understanding of the statistics quoted on your report, study available literature for other subtleties like the aforementioned and read the statistics section of the Marti reports literally.

More information can be found at their FAQ pages,  http://www.martiauto.com/faqsearch.cfm

Answer provided by

Kevin Marti

Last updated March 2, 2012

Ray
His example of the tach is misleading as if it is a forced option as he stated it should still be included in the total number of vehicles that were factory equipped with a tach.  The system that this data resides in would consider them to be the same.  While I'm extremely grateful for Kevin's marti and his service I know the data system well enough to know hat depending on them options were coded and then how's the day the data is requested will greatly affect the output.  We have all seen examples of marti reports that have incorrect data on them once in a while.

NOT basing his service st all but merely pointing out that nobodies perfect.

The presence of tach or not is especially prominent n 1967/68. His book has only about 2-3% of Mustangs came with tachs, but that's not the case: it's more like 15-20% based upon a non-representative sample of harnesses that cross my desk (approx. 300). I've read Ford's salesmen's guides and all other information like that and no where does it state that a tach comes with a particular set of options. Even the concours crowd does not know...

When I ordered the Marti for my Special Paint 73 vert I questioned him on the numbers. He told me what was here that he did not get the numbers for the Special Order cars be it paint or any other option. That information was kept by the DSO office for that area and they tossed all info I tried to track down more info but nobody kept that stack. So if someone Special Ordered say a power seat from a Cougar in their Mustang Marti cannot say right or wrong. It will have a six digit DSO but nothing on the tag. It will be on the build sheet if you are lucky enough to find one. My build sheet was in my Special Paint car and I sent scan to Marti. He came back and said it was first he had seen for a special paint car and did not know they put the Argent front bumper on and would never have thought it was original but my build sheet states to add Argent Front Bumper.

So no one person is always right.

I have told the story about a Shelby mustang here that had been certified by Shelby as being real. When the rear seat was taken out it was found to be a coupe body that the fastback top had been added to and that the VIN# from Ford in the inner fender had been cut out and welded back and the Shelby tag riveted over it. So even the Shelby guys cannot be trusted.

Only trust what you know to be true. Never assume something is incorrect either due to line errors and such.

My 73 Mach 1 came to me with the incorrect rear and drive shaft from the factory and dealer had to swap out. I kept breaking it and after three I told them something had to be wrong and factory rep came in and checked the car and the factory had installed the smaller U joint 9 inch rear.

David

At least for me, if someone is trying to say their car has this or that is original but not commonly known and they have no documentation - I remain very skeptical. I have learned a lot but just because someone says it doesn't make it true. Short of a good build sheet, Marti is the best we have.

And I enjoy the challenges of discovery about these cars.

To encourage discussion is usually good towards learning more.

Ray

"Marti's the best, most accessible resource we've got," you mean. ;)

Even with all the information at his disposal, the build sheet remains the best resource, IMHO.  My Deluxe Marti Report has some inconsistencies on it, for instance:

• F70x14 Wide Oval Belted Tires
  • White Sidewall Tires

So, which was it?  The Wide-Ovals, or White 'walls?  Or were there white wall Wide Ovals?  The only ones I've ever seen had raised white letters in the shape of "Firestone Wide-Oval" - so, I'm stumped on that one.

It also does list which wheel covers it came with.  Does nothing specified equal Corporate Dog Dishes?  I actually prefer the Sport Caps, and since it doesn't specify, that's what I'm basing my belief on [the Sport Caps].

It also just says "Console."  OK - which one (there were 2 different consoles available)?  I'm guessing it was the short console, since I had a clock/speedo cluster, it would've made more sense to have the short console in the car - especially, since I noticed the fade marks in the carpet were consistent with the shape of the short console.  However, for the purposes of my car as it sits now, I have a full console.  Technically, I can claim the car came with a full console and still maintain the high-ground, since the Marti Report doesn't specify.  Hey - I'm not exactly lying or anything - I have officially licensed by Ford documentation to back it up, after all.  ;)

I'm not complaining about the Marti Report, just adding my observations and agreement that nothing can be taken for granted to be the ground truth almost 50 years later based on sketchy recorded information.  A good example of that is that my car had an awfully factory-looking dual exhaust cut-out rear valance on it when I bought it, that everybody swears up and down never happened from the factory for an H-Code.  Yet, the trend of modifications and maintenance I found on the car would've simply had the redneck hacks cutting out their own notches in the valance with a jigsaw, rather than actually obtaining the correct part to exchange during a proper exhaust upgrade.

Even with all the information at his disposal, the build sheet remains the best resource, IMHO.  My Deluxe Marti Report has some inconsistencies on it, for instance:

• White Sidewall Tires

So, which was it?  The Wide-Ovals, or White 'walls?  Or were there white wall Wide Ovals?  The only ones I've ever seen had raised white letters in the shape of "Firestone Wide-Oval" - so, I'm stumped on that one.

It also does list which wheel covers it came with.  Does nothing specified equal Corporate Dog Dishes?  I actually prefer the Sport Caps, and since it doesn't specify, that's what I'm basing my belief on [the Sport Caps].

It also just says "Console."  OK - which one (there were 2 different consoles available)?  I'm guessing it was the short console, since I had a clock/speedo cluster, it would've made more sense to have the short console in the car - especially, since I noticed the fade marks in the carpet were consistent with the shape of the short console.  However, for the purposes of my car as it sits now, I have a full console.  Technically, I can claim the car came with a full console and still maintain the high-ground, since the Marti Report doesn't specify.  Hey - I'm not exactly lying or anything - I have officially licensed by Ford documentation to back it up, after all.  ;)

I'm not complaining about the Marti Report, just adding my observations and agreement that nothing can be taken for granted to be the ground truth almost 50 years later based on sketchy recorded information.  A good example of that is that my car had an awfully factory-looking dual exhaust cut-out rear valance on it when I bought it, that everybody swears up and down never happened from the factory for an H-Code.  Yet, the trend of modifications and maintenance I found on the car would've simply had the redneck hacks cutting out their own notches in the valance with a jigsaw, rather than actually obtaining the correct part to exchange during a proper exhaust upgrade.
Mister 4x4,

I could be wrong, but I was once told cars ordered with gauges and no tach, got the clock in the dash (e.g. clock/speedo cluster), AND if you ordered a full console as well you got a clock delete plate in the full console. So your car could still have had a full console from the factory but with the console clock delete plate. 

My recollection these days is not so good, so please correct me if I am wronger here.

Boy you guys are right on the TACH !!! LOL (I'm laughing now , BUT will have to redo my 69 W axle "someday")

When I bought my car , I got a report and didn't see TACH on the "options" (not knowing that 4speed, R code 69's got tachs) I bought NOS non tach harness, different cluster than what was in my car (assumed owner installed) and sold my tach, (harness is Carlisle) etc etc.

My friends all tell me I need to put the tach in, and have since bought all the stuff to do it, but since it isn't as nice as what I have in there (read too busy with Boss) to start over on the SCJ - I MIGHT "get a round to-it" some day.

Mark

P.S. I should send BOTH harnesses to Midlife to get my used tach harness perfect ! (OR sell the NOS harness to someone with a non tach car getting high dollar restoration!

• White Sidewall Tires

Eric - Can you post a link to your marti report so I could take a look at it as I might be able to answer a couple of your questions on how your vehicle was originally equipped.

• White Sidewall Tires

Eric - Can you post a link to your marti report so I could take a look at it as I might be able to answer a couple of your questions on how your vehicle was originally equipped.
Here ya go - it's already been uploaded to the site for years. ;)  https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1971-h-code-mach-1-pewter-black

It's pretty straight-forward, Deluxe Report even - but if you can see something I'm completely missing, go for it!  :cool:

• White Sidewall Tires

I have seen Firestone Wide Ovals in both White Side Wall and Raised White Letters.

I made a few observations, after looking at quite a few original 1973 invoices and their corresponding buildsheets and Marti reports.

1973 invoices I have seen list the following tires....

• E70x14 Wide Oval Belted WSW Tires
  • E78X14 Belted BSW Tires 
  • F70x14 Wide Oval Belted WSW Tires
  • F70X14 Wide Oval Belted BSW Tires/Raised White LTRS
  • GR78X14 Steel Belted Radial Ply WSW Tires 
  • GR78X14 Steel Belted Radial Ply BSW Tires
In addition to the above non-radial tires, I've seen a couple of 1971 and 72 invoices list

• F60X15 Wide Oval Belted BSW Tires/Raised White Letters

I am sure this is not a complete list of sizes. It would not surprise me if Ford also used Goodyear for the 70 and 78 WSW series tires. I have only seen Firestone wide oval tires listed with raised white letters.

Best I could tell from comparing buildsheet to invoice to the Marti report, is Marti only says it's Wide Oval tire when the buildsheet has an "F" or "P" in the "CODE" Column #7, otherwise the report just list the tire size and type, even if the original invoice says Wide Oval tire. Not sure why, unless Marti has determined that Ford used brands other than Firestone wide oval on cars ordered with WSW, even though the invoice stated it as a Wide Oval tire with WSW. For example...

One of my cars was ordered with E70 x14 WSW. The original invoice says: "E70x14 Wide Oval Belted WSW Tires", the buildsheet does not have an "F" in column #7 and the Marti report does not say wide oval...Why?

Another example...

I also noticed on buildsheets for cars ordered with white sidewall tires, that they have a "W" in the "COLOR" column #16, which I bet indicates WSW.

Cars ordered with Wide Ovals tires with raised white letters, their Marti reports, invoices and buildsheets that looked more like this...

My other car was ordered with GR78x14 WSW Radials. Marti listed it as...

Anyway, just my two cents on the tire topic portion of this thread. I just hope I did not make it worse.

Ok, I can definitely answer the question about the tire but the console isn't as clear.

Based on your Marti report your tire code is H2 with the H referring to F70X14 belted tire and the 2 standing for WSW rayon/polyester tires.  Your brand of tire was not specified as the row was blank.  Personally I think that the marti report definition for the code is wrong and they don't feel like changing it which leads to the tire confusion.  

Now for the console which isn't as straight forward.

Your code is E which would lead me to believe you have a console and an am radio.  I don't see any call out of long console vs. short console but since the short console was standard I would assume you would get a long console.  Then you need to read the paragraph below and interpret how the clock is deployed.

Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, I can definitely answer the question about the tire but the console isn't as clear.

Based on your Marti report your tire code is H2 with the H referring to F70X14 belted tire and the 2 standing for WSW rayon/polyester tires.  Your brand of tire was not specified as the row was blank.  Personally I think that the marti report definition for the code is wrong and they don't feel like changing it which leads to the tire confusion.  

Now for the console which isn't as straight forward.

Your code is E which would lead me to believe you have a console and an am radio.  I don't see any call out of long console vs. short console but since the short console was standard I would assume you would get a long console.  Then you need to read the paragraph below and interpret how the clock is deployed.

Thoughts?
Interesting. My one 1973 car with E70x14 WSW has "C2" on the marti report and "L2" for GR78x14 radials on the other car. Do you have the same tire info for 73 cars? In 73 Radials were also available and some of the other tire codes look like they changed.

The console info does not indicate when the console clock delete was use in Mach 1s. Is it implied somehow?

Eric, all good info so far. Not bashing Marti as we do have access to info on our cars the the GM and Mopar folks only wished they had. I believe a lot of times the section "Your Vehicle Was Equipped With the Following Features" is left to the interpretation what ever staff member is preparing the report. Although the Nasa hood was standard on the Mach1 (no cost option on the F code) some reports show the hood under the "Following Features" category and other reports don't. This is based on Mach1 reports with larger than 302 engines.

The tire issue is similar to the old Abbott and Castillo skit "Who's on first, what's on second"! The "Wide Oval" moniker seemed to be the one size fit's all name for performance tires. Sorta like no matter what brand tissue you purchase, just about everyone says Kleenex. There were two F70 X 14 tires listed for your 71, white lettered and white wall. When the Firestone wide oval first appeared on the Fairlane, Mustang, and sister Mercury cars in 67, they were narrow white wall tires.

Since trim rings and brushed finish center caps were standard on the Mach1, normally a call out would not be on the feature list unless equipped with optional sport wheel covers or Magnum's.  

The small Consolette was standard in all Mustangs. If your features section calls out Console, the long console was ordered . The instrument cluster mounted clock was standard on Grande only. If your car was ordered with the Mach1 Sports interior it included the center auxiliary gauges and a cluster mounted clock. To avoid redundancy the optional long console received a Mach 1 or Mustang plate in place of the console clock. But...if you order the instrumentation group, the tachometer would displace the dash clock and the console would now sport the clock. David, if your reading this, remember to sit down and catch your breath. The last time we covered this you said you had to stop and rest! Lol

Eric , I did notice your trim code is 5A (same as my pewter car) so you do have the Mach1 Sports Interior, but is not listed in your features section!!

Since your car was abused by the previous owners, like my red Mach1 was, I'm sure your not surprised by what you have found. My red car (Money pit #2) was a long console vehicle at one time, and I did find pieces of it in the trunk. I noticed it had a short console in the car, not bolted down and full of old partially smoked joints.     :whistling:

I know you can step into a mud hole when trying to say something did not come on a car. But as far as factory dual exhaust on an H code car, there is just not anything in the parts catalog or other service material to support that. There are no 351 H inlet pipes or left side exhaust listed for that for that application.

There again, it's your car, your not trying to pass it off as a concours level, and I think it looks great considering you said it started out as a pile a rust in the shape of a Mustang!

Although not the same type of white wall wide ovals as used on our cars, I just wanted to include a illustration of what they looked like on the 67's which I thought looked great with the Styled Steel rims.

Wow - thanks for the extra info, guys.

I've actually seen Wide Ovals in both raised white letters and white walls as well.  Granted, those were offered by Coker Tire, but I'm not as worried about that, to be honest.  Mine had a set of non-matching may-pops when I got it, so it's definitely a moot point anyway. ;)

I think the console is what bothers me the most.  I have fade lines on the carpet that seem to support the small console, and there was no other evidence of a long console having been in the car.  The clock delete panel in the console makes sense because yes, the car originally had a clock in the cluster, rather than a tach.  Interestingly enough, my '82 Mustang GL simply had no console, with the shifter plate bolted down right on top of the carpet - I'm guessing they didn't have a short console for the Fox bodies, though.

I also figured it came with Corporate Dog Dishes, since the previous owners apparently got rid of them at some point (sorry, they still just don't appeal to me), but kept the tires (the result of someone can only afford rims OR tires at a particular point in time... so because they must choose, they'll have to stick with the same size - saw a couple of buddies do that to their cars... had good tires but wanted new rims).  No biggie, though - I'm still claiming the Sport Covers since nothing was specified. ;)

As for the dual exhaust - what was on there was definitely not factory dual exhaust, and I don't dispute the idea of H-Codes not receiving factory dual exhaust.  I'm sure they added the second pipe & muffler when they installed the headers, but the rear cut-out valance is what was puzzling to me - it was definitely a factory piece with the correct Ford P/N and everything, and looked like it had been on the car all along - which was very out-of-character along with all of the other Redneck-engineered mods I found.  I'm sure they could've taken it from another car and added it along with the aftermarket dual exhaust, but again just seems like they would've taken the easy way out and either hung 'em low or used a saw instead of swapping out the rear valance panel for something that would've been more correct.

Thanks for diggin' up the details, just the same!  ::thumb::

My H code car had an OEM dual cutout valance but still had single exhaust on the car. I guess the PO planned to add dual echaust woth tips but never got to it. I added it although not concours there are some things you just can't go without. I'll take the point hit in a street concours judged show. Same for adding functional ram air and raised white letter radials. All easily undone if ever wanted to go back to how it was originally.

I wonder what happened there, and if mine suffered the same fate.  Factory error?  Dealership error? Sure would explain a few things.   :whistling:

Thanks for the info!   ::thumb::

Back