Aluminum Ford Model T for Morton Salt Co.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
Went to our local Community College today for their annual show. Was over 100 cars probably and wow three Sunbeam Tigers.

One car that caught my eye was and original 1915 For Model T that has been in same family since new. They have every registration from 1915 to 1933 when the grandfather put it in the barn. A current grandson got it out and got it running but did not paint or restore so an original unmolested Model T.

So I walk up and my jaw dropped. This is a brass radiator era Model T and there was an aluminum hood on it. I ask the owner if he knew about it and he was puzzled.

I think I have posted some in the past about the All Aluminum Model T Fords that were built for the Morton Salt Company for use in the salt mines. Of course we all know what salt does to steel but most have a salt shaker with an aluminum cap they do not rust and will last much longer. These are extremely rare to find, way more rare than hens teeth. Of course he did not know where the hood came from but I told him the story and a couple more old Model T guys came over and did not know about it either. I told him to go home and Google it. I thought it was in the 20's when built and the only one I have ever seen was in an old Hot Rod magazine from my past maybe back in the 60's. The owner had built a street rod from one of them.

So 103 years without a paint job, way cool I think.

Every time someone says something about the aluminum Ford trucks I tell them it is nothing new. BTW the hood is still in great shape some pictures attached.

There were a few great cars but no 71 - 73. I cannot get car out of garage due to almost 30 inches of rain last month washing out my 400 foot drive to garage.

The car also ran perfect. Notice the picture of the right front wheel with an early theft prevention device, patent date of 1915.

The car was also ordered without a top to cut costs. My grandfather ordered a Model T chassis. You got from windshield forward and nothing in back but the frame. They sat on bail of hay to get home and he built his on cab and rear bed in his blacksmith shop in 1923. Sort of like buying a motor home chassis today.

David

how to delete profile

Awesome pictures and the thing I like most is that the car also ran perfect and early theft prevention device on the right front wheel with patent date of 1915. Thanks for sharing with others also. Looking for more pictures.

Back