Engine fires only in start

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryunker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/fF5Ono][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dKMw7o/20180526_110612.jpg[/img][/url]
Good day to all. This is my very first post here, I have a '71 Mach1 351C 4V factory car. In pieces, but I do believe I have most pieces to complete the car. I will post more later on the status and plans, but for now - the car sat 12 years and now won't start...

Problem is with ignition, specifically power thru the resistance wire to feed the coil in the run position.

Thru the wiring diagrams on this site, it is the red with green tracer. wire is good back to the three pin connector by the rear of the left hand valve cover. I did a visual trace of it to where it goes thru the firewall. In the Ford shop manual, it shows a thermal connector, but on the car, I do no see one. Although I do see two red with green tracer wires in the loom going to the firewall.

In the car the instrument cluster is removed. I do not recall if it was installed the last time I had the car running.

With the key in "Run" I have no power to the "+" side of the coil. Thursday I jumpered battery voltage direct from the battery to the "+" side of the coil, and the Mach fired right up and ran 10 to 15 seconds and quit.

Where can I test this wire from and to to find and fix the problem?

Let me guess...you have a tach dash. If so, you'll need to jumper the male/female plug from the underdash harness (mimicking having the tach installed). The tach itself is electrically in-line between the ignition and the coil.

Let me guess...you have a tach dash.  If so, you'll need to jumper the male/female plug from the underdash harness (mimicking having the tach installed).  The tach itself is electrically in-line between the ignition and the coil.
wow, that was fast, I do not recall if I have a tach or not. Need to find that instrument cluster.

Let me guess...you have a tach dash.  If so, you'll need to jumper the male/female plug from the underdash harness (mimicking having the tach installed).  The tach itself is electrically in-line between the ignition and the coil.
wow, that was fast, I do not recall if I have a tach or not. Need to find that instrument cluster.
This was it. Hampered the connector and now have power. Thanks a bunch.

Back