Instrument Bezel Lense

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
My instrument bezel lense is brown and murky from age. Its tough trying to read my speed even in daylight

I want to remove the lense and use the product used on murky headlights.

I can see three holes where screws should be along the top underside of the cover.

The bezel cover is already loose but i don't want to force it out and do damage.

Is it possible to just wiggle it out or is there other bits i need to remove too.

Once the black metal piece is removed will the lense be removable

The other question i have is how to access bulbs in the dash so i can replace as none are working

My instrument bezel lense is brown and murky from age. Its tough trying to read my speed even in daylight

I want to remove the lense and use the product used on murky headlights.

I can see three holes where screws should be along the top underside of the cover.

The bezel cover is already loose but i don't want to force it out and do damage.

Is it possible to just wiggle it out or is there other bits i need to remove too.

Once the black metal piece is removed will the lense be removable

The other question i have is how to access bulbs in the dash so i can replace as none are working
The are a couple of screws on the bottom holding the bezel to the column bezel. You may need to loosen the dash pad to get some clearance. 

The lens is attached to the Gauge cluster by cotter pins like pins. You have to remove the cluster to get at the bulbs

Last edited by a moderator:
They do repo the lens for panel without gauges like yours but do not make lens for trip reset button. You have to cut out and put back.

When you are cleaning be careful. I found out that Windex window cleaner takes the paint off the red lens that says Brake. So mine is about gone.

You will eventually be taking the dash out of the car I would think. Take the dash pad off. take the four nuts off the studs holding the steering column up and then the screws across the top of the gauge cluster and at the bottom of the cluster. If you do not drop column down it is sometimes difficult to get it out. The speedometer cable unhooks by squeezing the clip. You have to also squeeze the tabs on the wire harness going to the cluster to remove it.

Just go slow it comes out with no effort is everything is unhooked never force it.

David

Thanks David.

I have to remove the whole dash soon. I know the heater core leaks so thats a job definately needs doing. Dreading pulling the A/C box out as it was a Phoenix car and the entire A/C was missing under the hood.

Back